Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2022, 12:38 PM   #7461
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Rumor is they want to dump the cap hit. Lucic clears $5.25M of the cap hit. I don’t see any team taking on Boeser without wanting to send back an equally questionable contract. The Flames waited too long to move Monahan and the Canucks have done the same with Boeser.
I then we can get Patrick Kane for a fourth!!
Why would the Canucks help a division rival by taking two guys that'll be out of the NHL next year??
Lucic has no value and Rooney is a dime a dozen guy everyone has 5 of in the minors.
Boeser return will be underwhelming I'm sure but it won't be two bags of garbage
Old 12-05-2022, 12:43 PM   #7462
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Why would the Canucks help a division rival by taking two guys that'll be out of the NHL next year??
Because they want the cap space? If you can take on two guys that have expiring contracts and get rid of $6.6M, you're pretty happy.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:47 PM   #7463
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I dont see how we make the cap work next season. Even with lucic coming off the books we are going to have to plug our roster with league mins to just barely be compliant. Bringing in Boeser would require moving 6m worth of cap next season
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:49 PM   #7464
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Full quote from Dhaliwal

Quote:
Two or three weeks ago, Boeser was dropped to the third line [and] off of PP1. And what agents will do, they'll call the GM to discuss a player's drop in ice time. I believe those sides led to both sides agreeing to a move, mutually. This has been in the works with Boeser for a few weeks.

Now, confirmation this morning, definitely teams are interested in Boeser, no question, but this is gonna take time. The Canucks know they're not getting much in return. Sources say the Canucks are willing to take a player back, Don, in return, preferably a player in his last year, but, I've heard, possibly with two years left on a deal. Boeser's gonna be tough to move, Donnie, and you know it: four goals in 19 games, minus-13, $6.6 million a year. Someone said to me teams may want a sweetener in return. If that's the case, it's gonna be really tough.

The key for the Canucks is cap space next year. That's the flexibility they're looking for where they're going. Boeser is still young, he's got a history of multiple 20-goal seasons. Not sure, the thing I haven't confirmed is if the Canucks will eat salary on years two and three of Boeser's deal.

Now, this is one thing I do know. The Calgary Flames are looking for a goal-scorer. I heard last night Calgary may have interest in Boeser. Not confirmed, but teams poke around, Donnie, trying to find the price and see if there's a fit. Lots of former Canucks in the Calgary dressing room who could vouch for Boeser.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #7465
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would say no to Boeser if we still have Toffoli. They are too similar of players, Boeser being slightly better. My wishlist is a quicker winger that can create space.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 12:52 PM   #7466
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be into Boeser. We need more finishing ability and that's what he does. He's also in a good age range for the team.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #7467
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

we can't keep bringing in Canucks and then wonder why we are under performing
Old 12-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #7468
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Flames have 79 million of cap committed in 2023 with Lucic coming off the books. All his money is going to Huberdeau's raise. Acquiring Boeser (or Josh Anderson etc) is basically impossible but also stupid. Pick your favourite ~2 out of Kylington, Hanifin, Backlund Lindholm Toffoli. You will only keep a couple.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:13 PM   #7469
Naitix
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Interesting that other teams are asking for a sweetener in return of taking Boeser. I am not a pro scout and do not watch Boeser play so I have no idea how he would fit and if we should even bother, but I would think that Lucic could go the other way. He has 1 year left which would allow Canucks to get out of Boeser's contract and free up the cap space after this season, and would add a goal scorer to our team buuuuut do we need another slow player? Huberdeau needs to play with fast players, they do not need to be good shooters, we all know Bennett is not a shooter...
Naitix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:15 PM   #7470
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Flames have 79 million of cap committed in 2023 with Lucic coming off the books. All his money is going to Huberdeau's raise. Acquiring Boeser (or Josh Anderson etc) is basically impossible but also stupid. Pick your favourite ~2 out of Kylington, Hanifin, Backlund Lindholm Toffoli. You will only keep a couple.
Yeah it would definitely create a cap problem next year, but teams manage cap problems every year.

What if we find out Hanifin doesn’t intend to re-sign long term? Well, there’s cap required to cover Boeser (on a projected $86.5M cap). Or Dube + Kylington moving on could resolve that.

I still think we have to become something worth maintaining before we worry about maintaining it. Right now our top-six is missing a goal scorer, and we could fix that with Boeser.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:21 PM   #7471
rhino
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I dont see how we make the cap work next season. Even with lucic coming off the books we are going to have to plug our roster with league mins to just barely be compliant. Bringing in Boeser would require moving 6m worth of cap next season
You mean like Tampa has done?
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:25 PM   #7472
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Possibility that there is a business decision coming on Kylington?
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:29 PM   #7473
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lucic has no value and Rooney is a dime a dozen guy everyone has 5 of in the minors.
Boeser return will be underwhelming I'm sure but it won't be two bags of garbage
Obvious answer is cap space
Old 12-05-2022, 01:36 PM   #7474
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Possibility that there is a business decision coming on Kylington?
If the Flames were to trade a player on leave for family reasons then they would deserve every character of bad press levied against them.
Old 12-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #7475
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
If the Flames were to trade a player on leave for family reasons then they would deserve every character of bad press levied against them.
I did not mention a trade but some form of cap relief would help. As mentioned before, we don't even know if he is skating.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 01:46 PM   #7476
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surely the Flames can LTIR him with what other teams get away with
Old 12-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #7477
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Kylington were eligible to be placed on LTIR it would have happened. He isn't hurt (educated guess), and no relief is coming.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:05 PM   #7478
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have to be over the cap to use LTIR. The Flames aren't over the cap.
Old 12-05-2022, 02:06 PM   #7479
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantwhisper View Post
we can't keep bringing in canucks and then wonder why we are under performing, why our players bite other players, and why i suddenly have the urge to burn some cars
fyp
Old 12-05-2022, 02:11 PM   #7480
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Weird take.

Monahan cost the Flames a 1st to dump for 1 year. Boeser has 2 years left after this one so are the Canucks paying in high picks to dump the salary?

Patrick Kane is a weird name to throw in there because he is a positive asset pending UFA and not a questionable asset who looks grossly overpaid for a couple of years. Flames take huge risk with the deal so would only be willing to include throw away players
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote