Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2023, 03:42 PM   #7501
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

If you're going to chug a beer, can you at least do a decent Alberta brew? There are so many to choose from, AGD is the swill piss you find in a puddle after a chemical spill.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 03:45 PM   #7502
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I've been an eligible voter for 44 years now and for the first time in that time (and as I posted here earlier) I signed up to volunteer for a political party. Finally got the call/email this past week and I start volunteering for the NDP this weekend. I'm hoping I can change a few minds.
Run for municipal government (in two years)!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #7503
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If you're going to chug a beer, can you at least do a decent Alberta brew? There are so many to choose from, AGD is the swill piss you find in a puddle after a chemical spill.
Frankly, most people only drink AGD if they want to drink 12 of them cause they're cheap and don't care about the taste.

Forget about how immature this is, and the UCP's previous accusations of a drinking culture (shields up, budget whiskey, etc) it's a pretty ####ing ####ty tribute to the Legion too.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 04:21 PM   #7504
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Had a good laugh at this, the NDP is WoKe!!1!

Alta. minister calls NDP 'anti-oil and gas activists' and 'woke' during well cleanup debate

Quote:
A fiery exchange over whether Alberta should give royalty breaks to oil companies that clean up their inactive wells drew warnings on both sides of the argument Tuesday in the legislature.

NDP MLA Marlin Schmidt called the government's proposed $100 million Liability Management Incentive Program "a scam."

The NDP has repeatedly claimed the final bill to taxpayers will be much larger.

"I'm hearing from Albertans who say it doesn't matter what the premier calls it or the size of the down payment on the $20 billion, it's still a scam. Does the energy minister agree with Albertans?" he asked during question period.

"It's a sad state of affairs with the Alberta NDP," energy minister Peter Guthrie responded.

"These anti-oil and gas activists must be tortured watching the industry come back to life after they did everything in their power, over their four years, to destroy the resource sector."

Speaker Nathan Cooper warned Schmidt not to use the word "scam." Guthrie was told he could not say the NDP is "fabricating" a crisis.

"Let's take a trip down woke memory lane to expose the NDP's just transition plan. They were the creator of Canada's first carbon tax. They oppose any and all pipelines. They support the west coast tanker ban, taking a position against our province," he stated.

"With [Prime Minister Justin] Trudeau and [federal NDP Leader Jagmeet] Singh behind them, the NDP will continue to sabotage our industry."
Quote:
Guthrie's comment on pipelines does not align with the political history of Alberta.

While in government, the NDP fought in favour of the Trans Mountain Pipeline, even briefly banning wines from British Columbia and passing legislation that would restrict how much oil was sent to the protesting province, in an effort to get it built.

"There's a strong record that the NDP government in Alberta did support the oil and gas industry," political scientist Lori Williams said.

"It supported diversification, it invested in cleaner production and consumption of energy and in pipelines. There's just no question about their record on that."

NDP MLAs are not the only critics of Smith's Liability Management Incentive Program.

Analysts with Scotiabank said in a report that the proposal “goes against the core capitalist principle that private companies should take full responsibility for the liabilities they willingly accept.”

Former UCP MLA, now independent, Drew Barnes has called the plan “corporate welfare.”

UCP MLA Sonya Savage has recently confirmed that she was not in favour of "RStar," a former name for the concept, when she was emergency minister in 2021.

The head of the Rural Municipalities of Alberta said last year that RStar is "exactly how a fox would design a henhouse."
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 04:28 PM   #7505
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I've been an eligible voter for 44 years now and for the first time in that time (and as I posted here earlier) I signed up to volunteer for a political party. Finally got the call/email this past week and I start volunteering for the NDP this weekend. I'm hoping I can change a few minds.

I am not sure what aspect of volunteering your going to be doing/ door knocking etc but all the best to you!

Politically speaking, I am on the other side but best advice is to not try too hard to change other people's minds too much or argue counter points etc. It doesn't work too well in person. It's more about getting your supporters out to vote which sounds easy but isn't.

Also be prepared for what volunteers of all political parties face when dealing with people at their door or on the phone etc. A very strange phenomenon where no matter who you are representing, a lack of wanting to actually have a very basic or quick conversation about some of the issues at hand. To me, it's weird. You have a local candidate, a provincial minister, a federal minister at your doorstep and people don't care to ask a basic question or concern.

Also, don't make the mistake my local NDP candidate is making in our area and that is making assumptions about who a certain group of people might vote for. Our local MLA, a cabinet minister is part of a cultural community in our area where a large portion of the community lives. On multiple occasions, I have seen the NDP candidate and an army of volunteers door knocking and seem to always miss my house and those of other similar (community ) based last names. It's this type of fundamental misunderstanding that may potentially plague the NDP, don't let assumptions about who's voting for whom get in the way of getting the message out.

Sorry about the long post! Glad your helping out in the political process one way or another. All the best
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 04:39 PM   #7506
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I am not sure what aspect of volunteering your going to be doing/ door knocking etc but all the best to you!

Politically speaking, I am on the other side
but best advice is to not try too hard to change other people's minds too much or argue counter points etc. It doesn't work too well in person. It's more about getting your supporters out to vote which sounds easy but isn't.

Also be prepared for what volunteers of all political parties face when dealing with people at their door or on the phone etc. A very strange phenomenon where no matter who you are representing, a lack of wanting to actually have a very basic or quick conversation about some of the issues at hand. To me, it's weird. You have a local candidate, a provincial minister, a federal minister at your doorstep and people don't care to ask a basic question or concern.

Also, don't make the mistake my local NDP candidate is making in our area and that is making assumptions about who a certain group of people might vote for. Our local MLA, a cabinet minister is part of a cultural community in our area where a large portion of the community lives. On multiple occasions, I have seen the NDP candidate and an army of volunteers door knocking and seem to always miss my house and those of other similar (community ) based last names. It's this type of fundamental misunderstanding that may potentially plague the NDP, don't let assumptions about who's voting for whom get in the way of getting the message out.

Sorry about the long post! Glad your helping out in the political process one way or another. All the best
I'm amazed someone would even publicly admit they are going to support someone as awful as Danielle Smith. Someone who doesn't believe in science, victim blames cancer patients, won't follow the advice of experts, falsely claims native heritage, has insulted our first nations, and is generally thicker than tar sand, all while throwing money away in a party that has destroyed our healthcare system and vows to continue, charging us for family doctor visits and diverting desperately needed healthcare dollars to naturopaths. Not to mention the ill advised provincial police she is already implementing through the back door via Sheriffs, or the stupidity off an Alberta Pension Plan.

But hey, I guess that's your choice in a democracy, and I'm sure you've made sound choices for other reasons, I just hope you don't come to regret it when you or someone in your family comes to need any of these services the UCP is hell bent on privatizing and you are left destitute. Good luck with the gamble though! Strong plan!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 04:42 PM   #7507
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Frankly, most people only drink AGD if they want to drink 12 of them cause they're cheap and don't care about the taste.
You also drink AGD if you're drinking the house lager at the Ship.

Last edited by Ozy_Flame; 03-15-2023 at 05:02 PM.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:05 PM   #7508
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My MLA was in the area on the weekend. Had a volunteer come to my door asking if id like the chance to speak with her. Told him I didnt want another conversation where she lies to me or had that ****ing clown craig chandler lie to me.
She did not come to the door.

Last edited by puffnstuff; 03-15-2023 at 05:12 PM.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 05:26 PM   #7509
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Weird question... Do you invite them into your homes? Do you have an entire conversation on your front yard? Offer then a glass of water? I haven't had anyone visit me yet but I always think what is the thing to do?
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 06:17 PM   #7510
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I like beer, ok!?
Thanks Brett.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #7511
Khel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Chestermere municipal affairs report being delivered now.... Not a good look
Khel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 10:35 PM   #7512
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
My MLA was in the area on the weekend. Had a volunteer come to my door asking if id like the chance to speak with her. Told him I didnt want another conversation where she lies to me or had that ****ing clown craig chandler lie to me.
At least you have an MLA!

</Calgary-Elbow resident>
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 01:38 AM   #7513
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm amazed someone would even publicly admit they are going to support someone as awful as Danielle Smith. Someone who doesn't believe in science, victim blames cancer patients, won't follow the advice of experts, falsely claims native heritage, has insulted our first nations, and is generally thicker than tar sand, all while throwing money away in a party that has destroyed our healthcare system and vows to continue, charging us for family doctor visits and diverting desperately needed healthcare dollars to naturopaths. Not to mention the ill advised provincial police she is already implementing through the back door via Sheriffs, or the stupidity off an Alberta Pension Plan.

But hey, I guess that's your choice in a democracy, and I'm sure you've made sound choices for other reasons, I just hope you don't come to regret it when you or someone in your family comes to need any of these services the UCP is hell bent on privatizing and you are left destitute. Good luck with the gamble though! Strong plan!

Did I confirm I was voting for Smith? I may be a conservative politically but that doesn't mean I always vote for the party or the people in power or that I am happy with their performance. I have a high standard and will give people my vote if I believe they will benefit the party, the city, province, country, my local riding etc. I also try and hold them to account and have an old fashion take that if you don't earn your votes and try and keep it through good work for the riding, forget it.

I probably won't even vote for a friend who's in cabinet and I have grown up with him since we were in essence, small children. Seeing how the NDP candidate is dealing with the riding and ignoring how many potential voters and their concerns, it's comical she could do anything reasonable to benefit the province. Her business track record is suspect at best.

I am actually one of the few conservatives who isn't terrified of the NDP winning if they can avoid some of their previous pitfalls. The battleground will be Calgary and the rural areas and the NDP will need to have very distinct campaigns for both. Some real, out of the box thinking on their part for business, small business, growing the economy and helping out Albertans financially and improving services, even if they are non union or NDP friendly roles may benefit them.

The UCP is ripe for the picking, which is surprising given how quickly the party has fell apart after being formed under Kenney.

We will see what happens but I really hope Alberta is on the receiving end of better politics going forward. Outside of 1 or 2 candidates across the political spectrum both locally and federally, I have regretted them all!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 06:45 AM   #7514
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe its different in Alberta, but voting for a provincial candidate on what they will do locally doesn't make sense. I mean they may ask a random question or something during a session but I don't see much difference in who is representing your district.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 07:56 AM   #7515
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Maybe its different in Alberta, but voting for a provincial candidate on what they will do locally doesn't make sense. I mean they may ask a random question or something during a session but I don't see much difference in who is representing your district.
They’re essentially useless at a riding level (evidenced by the fact that the UCP left a riding unoccupied because it might’ve been harder to win) but sometimes if they’re especially competent or incompetent it can make a difference.

The vast majority of the time it’s just a party vote, so when someone says they’re not voting for a party because the lack of doorknocking or whatever, it’s either a convenient excuse or a misunderstanding of what these people actually accomplish on a riding-level.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 08:49 AM   #7516
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The UCP were at my door last week, despite my "save our parks" sign on my front lawn- I said there wasn't anyone I would consider voting for less than Shandro (who is my MLA) but the guy was still trying and said that can't be true, maybe Trump? Maybe we can still have a discussion, I said the UCP don't want discussion because they block everyone on Twitter, he said thanks and moved along.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:21 AM   #7517
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
The UCP were at my door last week, despite my "save our parks" sign on my front lawn- I said there wasn't anyone I would consider voting for less than Shandro (who is my MLA) but the guy was still trying and said that can't be true, maybe Trump? Maybe we can still have a discussion, I said the UCP don't want discussion because they block everyone on Twitter, he said thanks and moved along.
You missed a great performance art opportunity to scream at him tearfully
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:23 AM   #7518
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Craig Chandler, he's like the Wish or Alibaba version of Ezra Levant

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 09:27 AM   #7519
Superflyer
Close, but no banana.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I would never vote for Shandro, he is the worst!

Well he's not Trump.

Well you won me over, there is no flaw in this reasoning.
Superflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Superflyer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 09:28 AM   #7520
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superflyer View Post
I forgot that Notley banned BC wine for a while.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote