Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 07:53 AM   #6741
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1619089362553290755

Other demographic breakdowns if you click the tweet.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:04 AM   #6742
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Do CBC and CTV spread misinformation?

Who gets to decide.
Sure, media sources may not provide 100% accurate coverage all the time. But surely some are better at it than others.

So who gets to decide? How about organizations like media bias fact check. They are transparent in their methodology of categorizing/rating media sources based on left/right bias and accuracy. Let's take a look at some media sources:

CTV: Least biased (centre), High factual reporting, High credibility
CBC: Left-Centre bias, High factual reporting, High credibility

True North: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Medium credibility
Rebel News: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Low credibility
Western Standard: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Medium credibility

So CTV/CBC have high credibility and mostly factual reporting, but those are the media sources that you don't trust?

Honestly, I'm proud Canada has a media source like CTV that is centric (unbiased) and highly factual.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 09:17 AM   #6743
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Oh this should be good. What’s my agenda?

I actually do my best not to accuse people of anything, and that’s not really a fair shot. The thing is, this thread has a tendency to move pretty fast and I get tied up doing other things. Sometimes I just drop these things because it’s not worth dredging up a discussion from three pages ago. I flip through the new posts and think to myself “who cares if people think Smith is good on the radio?” and just drop it.
I was actually talking the “I know people are going to react this way because you’re all just like that” followed by a complete refusal to actually engage with the conversation you started and instead resorting to “wow what a surprise everyone is acting just like I said guess I’m done here!”

But I don’t know, maybe you do just vanish on stuff too, if you say so. Sometimes you could stand to just read a post before coming up with a nonsense reply like saying misinformation is part of talk radio and then saying “oh but that’s not what I was saying!” You say what you weren’t actually trying to say and blame others for you having said it so often it comes across like it’s on purpose. As I said though, I’ve had good conversations with you, I know you’re smart and have good opinions, so I don’t know why you play the dumb devil’s advocate sometimes unless it’s some shtick I’m not picking up on.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:18 AM   #6744
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1619089362553290755

Other demographic breakdowns if you click the tweet.
Apparently Alberta would be much better off if only women were allowed to vote.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:35 AM   #6745
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Apparently you, because you have provided literally zero evidence that the tweet in question is misinformation.

It's entirely plausible that a reckless disregard for safety with respects to immunization would be correlated with a reckless disregard for safety with respects to driving.
And if you actually read the study it has several disclaimers if this isnt causation and the study was a question of if these types of risk taking behaviours could be detected in other areas.

I think the study is interesting because while we attribute misinformation to the anti vax movement it possible that some people are just anti authority and poor judges of risk.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:40 AM   #6746
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Slava doesn't troll but his agendas are pretty obvious in discussion.
I don’t think Slava has an agenda. He’s just the abandoned conservative voter. His perspective is very typical of many people in the province. Presenting a view point isn’t an agenda.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:42 AM   #6747
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I agree. I run into so many people in this province that are intelligent, kind and thoughtful but the pro-conservative mentality is so ingrained in them that they can't look at most political issues with any semblance of rationality.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #6748
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I was actually talking the “I know people are going to react this way because you’re all just like that” followed by a complete refusal to actually engage with the conversation you started and instead resorting to “wow what a surprise everyone is acting just like I said guess I’m done here!”

But I don’t know, maybe you do just vanish on stuff too, if you say so. Sometimes you could stand to just read a post before coming up with a nonsense reply like saying misinformation is part of talk radio and then saying “oh but that’s not what I was saying!” You say what you weren’t actually trying to say and blame others for you having said it so often it comes across like it’s on purpose. As I said though, I’ve had good conversations with you, I know you’re smart and have good opinions, so I don’t know why you play the dumb devil’s advocate sometimes unless it’s some shtick I’m not picking up on.
I think that scenario was about a different topic? I can’t remember the specifics, but I thought that was a week ago or something?

And as far as saying that I know how people will react, it’s because I’ve read enough of the thread to know what’s coming. This thread is completely tribal.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:44 AM   #6749
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
Sure, media sources may not provide 100% accurate coverage all the time. But surely some are better at it than others.

So who gets to decide? How about organizations like media bias fact check. They are transparent in their methodology of categorizing/rating media sources based on left/right bias and accuracy. Let's take a look at some media sources:

CTV: Least biased (centre), High factual reporting, High credibility
CBC: Left-Centre bias, High factual reporting, High credibility

True North: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Medium credibility
Rebel News: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Low credibility
Western Standard: Right bias, Mixed factual reporting, Medium credibility

So CTV/CBC have high credibility and mostly factual reporting, but those are the media sources that you don't trust?

Honestly, I'm proud Canada has a media source like CTV that is centric (unbiased) and highly factual.
I think your faith and pride in CTV is misplaced but to each there own.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613338228668473350
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 09:46 AM   #6750
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I don’t think Slava has an agenda. He’s just the abandoned conservative voter. His perspective is very typical of many people in the province. Presenting a view point isn’t an agenda.
Well, I’m an abandoned centrist. I know they don’t post in this thread, but the actual conservatives who know me have to be dying of laughter to see me branded as a conservative!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #6751
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

If Smith wins I really hope the abandoned NDP voter has a place in the Province.
Old 01-29-2023, 09:53 AM   #6752
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If Smith wins I really hope the abandoned NDP voter has a place in the Province.
You don't really understand how anything works, do you?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 10:10 AM   #6753
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I've never in my life bothered with the ignore feature, as I find this place does a decent enough job taking out the trash.

I don't want to hide from opinions and views that don't align with my own, in fact I greatly value being challenged on my own biases and echo chambers that I may encounter.

That said, I can't take this ####ing clown ruining this place any longer, and will reach for the ignore button for the first time. But mods, can we please seriously get real about this?

Just because a poster doesn't resort to personal attacks or foul language doesn't mean they aren't extremely damaging to the community and what this place is supposed to be. If you look up the definition of troll, this is it. I've seen about 50 attempts at generating discourse with Yoho in the last month. Zero have been taken up. There is no good faith here. This is someone getting stroking their tiny ego but yanking us all around, and we're just letting it happen.

Please make it stop.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #6754
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Read the last few pages that’s not discourse?

“I like to hear different view points to my own”

“Mods please ban him”
Old 01-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #6755
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You want a new left party because Notley moved to far to the Center? I suppose it would help vote splitting in Edmonton.
Old 01-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #6756
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think your faith and pride in CTV is misplaced but to each there own.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1613338228668473350
This is the era we live in, where conservatives view science as "left wing".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ves-explained/
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 11:06 AM   #6757
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I've never in my life bothered with the ignore feature, as I find this place does a decent enough job taking out the trash.

I don't want to hide from opinions and views that don't align with my own, in fact I greatly value being challenged on my own biases and echo chambers that I may encounter.

That said, I can't take this ####ing clown ruining this place any longer, and will reach for the ignore button for the first time. But mods, can we please seriously get real about this?

Just because a poster doesn't resort to personal attacks or foul language doesn't mean they aren't extremely damaging to the community and what this place is supposed to be. If you look up the definition of troll, this is it. I've seen about 50 attempts at generating discourse with Yoho in the last month. Zero have been taken up. There is no good faith here. This is someone getting stroking their tiny ego but yanking us all around, and we're just letting it happen.

Please make it stop.
I have had him on ignore for weeks, but I still get the 'pleasure' of reading everything he posts since he's quoted all the time.

At this point, I just think of it as a failed intelligence test for the people who quote and respond to him.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 11:07 AM   #6758
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
This is the era we live in, where conservatives view science as "left wing".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ves-explained/
Would that mean your furnace and gas fireplace are equally harmful?
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 11:08 AM   #6759
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
No, it would not.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2023, 11:11 AM   #6760
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, they are vented to the outside
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post: