Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2023, 09:01 PM   #10681
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suspect the salient point is not whether the T 55's have any battlefield utility, in a modern drone and satellite recon'ed steppe I would guess none, the real point is this is all they have, it speaks to an utter degradation of their tank building and recovery/maintenance ability
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 10:54 PM   #10682
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Look, the video provided earlier of the train transporting T54/55 has no context. It is not known when the person took the video or where they took the video. Furthermore, there isn't any information as to where the train was heading. So what? Well, they could be going to Ukraine, but more on that in a bit. Or they could be going to training grounds. Or they could be going to museums. Or they could be going to Syria. Who knows? Time will tell.

But let's assume they are heading to Ukraine because, once again, the Russkies are out of tanks, right?. So what? Well, it's highly unlikely the RuF will put them at the tip of the spear because the reality is they have no need to do so.

So what can they be used for? For one, RuF could use them with follow-on forces behind a main force to provide protection to infantry. Infantry could actually ride on them - using them as a battlefield taxi. They certainly provide more protection and firepower than MRAPs, M113s and various other dinky toys the AFU is using right now with nary a complaint from the armchair warlords.

Secondly, the RUF could use them as mobile assault guns to clobber bunkers and other fortifications. A big gun on tracks is still a big gun on tracks, no matter its age - and high velocity HE 100mm provides a significant wallop - more so than a lobbed 80mm or 120mm mortar bullet.

Finally, the RuF can use them in defensive positions - use them as bunkers/pill boxes.

Can a T-55 go up against a modern MBT? Not head on. But you can site them in enfilade to get a side shot. Shots on the lower hull can immobilize NATO MBTs. A rear shot can destroy them. But, let's be honest here. Tank vs tank is rare in this conflict, as I have pointed out before.

Well, you say, the Bradley will sort out a T55. Sure. But any modern Russian MBT has Refleks AT missile which is more advanced than TOW and with a 5000m range. What that means is RuF can take out Bradley before it can engage. The RuF "Terminator" is also lurking here and there with its Ataka ATGMs. The Atakas, by the way, have double he range of TOW.

Consider the Line of Contact is about 1000km. There is always room for more guns. If it fires, it fires.

a·pol·o·gist
/əˈpäləjəst/
noun
a person who offers an argument in defense of something controversial.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2023, 11:31 PM   #10683
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuluking View Post
If only there was some other democratic, peaceful, resource-rich nation that could displace Russian O&G on the global stage. Could you imagine a country that could wean the world off Russian O&G and making a lot of money doing it? And then investing a good portion of that money into advancing alternative / green energy policy, research and technology?

Yeah, I can't either.
Presidents Obama and Biden, along with Jon Stewart, Hasan Minhaj, and countless other celebrities have deemed Alberta Oil the dirtiest and worst thing on planet earth, and those American opinions are completely altruistic and not at all rooted in America's quest to dominate the world in oil production and sales. Not at all.

Last edited by jayswin; 03-22-2023 at 11:37 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:23 AM   #10684
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can see those T-55s being anchor turrets on trench lines on the narrow points of the Crimean isthmus and nothing more. Sort of akin to the Japanese attempting to beach the Yamato at a strategic location in the Philippines before the Americans fed it numerous torpedo's and bombs while it was en route.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:28 AM   #10685
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
I can see those T-55s being anchor turrets on trench lines on the narrow points of the Crimean isthmus and nothing more. Sort of akin to the Japanese attempting to beach the Yamato at a strategic location in the Philippines before the Americans fed it numerous torpedo's and bombs while it was en route.
Ukraine arty and drones will eviscerate them
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 12:34 AM   #10686
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Ukraine arty and drones will eviscerate them

Turret could take a couple of hits from a drone unless its a 60mm+ motor or survive a glancing arty shot if the hull is mostly buried.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 06:49 AM   #10687
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I suspect the salient point is not whether the T 55's have any battlefield utility, in a modern drone and satellite recon'ed steppe I would guess none...
You can make that argument against any modern tank.

Quote:
...the real point is this is all they have, it speaks to an utter degradation of their tank building and recovery/maintenance ability
No, they are not all they have. Russia produces in the neighborhood of 800 tanks annually. There hasn't been any degradation in their tank manufacturing. How many tanks does NATO produce annually?

What's fascinating is how fired up this community got over a no context video posted by a pro-Ukrainian Twitter account. Why do people here take such posts as gospel?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 07:23 AM   #10688
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, they are not all they have. Russia produces in the neighborhood of 800 tanks annually. There hasn't been any degradation in their tank manufacturing. How many tanks does NATO produce annually?

What's fascinating is how fired up this community got over a no context video posted by a pro-Ukrainian Twitter account. Why do people here take such posts as gospel?
Really? You are going to accuse people of using fantasy numbers while quoting Russian fantasy numbers? The Soviet Union, let alone Russia without all the satellite states, hasn't been producing tanks at that rate since the cold war. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you regularly posted stuff straight off Russian sources/maps. By most reports, including Russian newspapers right before Putin's press purge, UralVagonZavod is the only tank factory operational at this point and they are down to a single production line and refurb line. The production line's capacity is quoted as 20/month and they've had to "pause" plans for a second line because they haven't been able to find the tooling/resources post sanction or people to do so. Refurb line is 17/mo there and there are plans build 2 more refurb lines in the "coming months". Meanwhile Russia has lost 150+ tanks/mo just on visually verified OSINT data.

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/202...ren-barrels-en
https://www.economist.com./the-econo...its-tank-fleet
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=788f338c2061

Ukraine is not losing tanks, let alone Western ones, at anywhere near that rate either. Krauss-Maffei Wegmann has stated they can can currently do 50 tanks/year and can refurb 60-70/year and they are not crippled on critical components, lack of manpower from conscription, or sanctions on critical western tech which the most modern Russian armor used extensively. i.e. all the last generation off the shelf French thermals on even the latest T-14s. Spain and Sweden have both produced Leopards domestically under license in the past, and could restart that. Abrams production is at 11 tanks per month at the Lima Army Tank plant at low rate production but can ramp up. But do the Americans even need to build more when they have an insane 3500 M1A1/A2 in mothball storage?
https://warisboring.com/germanys-leo...rt%20it%20here.
https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...702-story.html
https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/01/24...tudies%20(IISS).

Last edited by FlameOn; 03-23-2023 at 07:58 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 07:53 AM   #10689
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Dude they're having a hard time maintaining their railway infrastructure due to lack of bearings. There has been degradation across the board.. those wheel turny things are fairly important, and perhaps the reason why the really old stuff is being sent out now.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 07:57 AM   #10690
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Equally fascinating is your posting history in this thread. Almost like you're cheering on Russia or at least engaging in pro-Russian propaganda.

You took a little break but it seems like you're back for a Spring Offensive.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:37 AM   #10691
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A little content on the subject of Russian tanks

DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DFO For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 08:44 AM   #10692
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Equally fascinating is your posting history in this thread. Almost like you're cheering on Russia or at least engaging in pro-Russian propaganda.

You took a little break but it seems like you're back for a Spring Offensive.
Sir, thank you for responding to my post and noticing I was away. I took a long break because I was out of the country for six months and a little too busy to concern myself with the comings and goings of Calgarypuck.com.

Now, whose Spring offensive am I waiting for?
Old 03-23-2023, 08:46 AM   #10693
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Really? You are going to accuse people of using fantasy numbers while quoting Russian fantasy numbers? The Soviet Union, let alone Russia without all the satellite states, hasn't been producing tanks at that rate since the cold war. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since you regularly posted stuff straight off Russian sources/maps. By most reports, including Russian newspapers right before Putin's press purge, UralVagonZavod is the only tank factory operational at this point and they are down to a single production line and refurb line. The production line's capacity is quoted as 20/month and they've had to "pause" plans for a second line because they haven't been able to find the tooling/resources post sanction or people to do so. Refurb line is 17/mo there and there are plans build 2 more refurb lines in the "coming months". Meanwhile Russia has lost 150+ tanks/mo just on visually verified OSINT data.

https://novayagazeta.eu/articles/202...ren-barrels-en
https://www.economist.com./the-econo...its-tank-fleet
https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidax...h=788f338c2061

Ukraine is not losing tanks, let alone Western ones, at anywhere near that rate either. Krauss-Maffei Wegmann has stated they can can currently do 50 tanks/year and can refurb 60-70/year and they are not crippled on critical components, lack of manpower from conscription, or sanctions on critical western tech which the most modern Russian armor used extensively. i.e. all the last generation off the shelf French thermals on even the latest T-14s. Spain and Sweden have both produced Leopards domestically under license in the past, and could restart that. Abrams production is at 11 tanks per month at the Lima Army Tank plant at low rate production but can ramp up. But do the Americans even need to build more when they have an insane 3500 M1A1/A2 in mothball storage?
https://warisboring.com/germanys-leo...rt%20it%20here.
https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na...702-story.html
https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/01/24...tudies%20(IISS).
Give your head a shake. what do you hear?
Old 03-23-2023, 08:47 AM   #10694
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
A little content on the subject of Russian tanks

I watched this last night, highly entertaining. Boggles the mind how people parrot Russia strong propaganda when it's such an obvious fraud.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:03 AM   #10695
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am just waiting for FireBot to come back on here now that BvK is back...
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 09:41 AM   #10696
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
I am just waiting for FireBot to come back on here now that BvK is back...
The CalgaryPuck war front is opening.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #10697
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Give your head a shake. what do you hear?
The guy offered links and proofs. And that's your response?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:46 AM   #10698
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
You mention missiles but I don't really think that's much of a factor, as I know you know, and any armoured soldier will tell you, any decent tank will be able to detect missile launches and send a return round long before that slow moving TOW reaches it's target.
Maybe. If the crew isn't buttoned up, they have a better chance of detecting an incoming missile and responding accordingly. If not...

There is a dozen or so Turk Leopard IIs in northern Syria rusting away - taken out by TOW and other ATGMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Obviously the issue here is going to be doctrine, which, as always, is Russia's weak point. If they couldn't properly support their tanks before, what reason do we have to believe that that's going to change now, no matter how old the equipment they're fielding? Their gear has never been the issue with the Russians, it's how they use it
OK, doctrine. Since we are talking about the use of tanks on the battlefield, let's rewind to seven years ago. On 8 Oct 15, Syrian forces launched an attack against the Jihadist forces at the Latamin bridgehead using an armoured fist plan developed by their Russian advisors. They concentrated their armoured forces on the Hama plains with an aim to crush the enemy with one punch. Unfortunately, their plan did not work and the Jihadists routed the Syrian armour using TOW and other ATGM weapons. Even then it was evident the Soviet dogma of "Tank wedges to the English Channel" was outdated.

The Syrians in subsequent years (largely without Russian participation) rethought the meaning of the tank on the battlefield and began to act effectively. In open spaces, the infantry platoon received a tank under its command. The infantrymen went forward, identified enemy firing points and called in their armor to destroy them. The soldiers went ahead of the tanks, which significantly reduced the loss of vehicles on the plains.

In the cities, tactics changed. Each tank had its own “gunner” operating outside of the tank. He operated a drone over a tank in order to provide a broader picture of the battlefield. Such interaction made it possible to break through the enemy's fortifications even in close Arab buildings.

The Syrian experience taught the Russians nothing and, so, fast forward to 24 Feb 22, Russian armoured columns went forward, with practically no connection with the infantrymen. The losses on those days can be judged by numerous AFU videos.

Now the Russian army has to gnaw through enemy defenses in depth, so the Russians had to rethink the meaning and use of the tank on the battlefield because throwing armoured fists forward on today's battlefield does not work.

Izyum. The Russians tried to capture Kamenka with a tank assault. As a result, this tactic completely failed and the special forces cleared the village on foot. The Wagnerians also advanced in small groups of infantry. Neither Popasnaya nor Soledar were taken head-on by a tank attack.

So what should be done? Firstly, abandon the tactics of tank breakthroughs. Secondly, each tank must be assigned a ground gunner. He must ensure coordination between the tank and the infantry. Thirdly, each tank must have its own drone. Finally, artillery. Better have lots of it. And layered air defence.

Now, has NATO been paying attention?
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 09:48 AM   #10699
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
The guy offered links and proofs. And that's your response?
Sir, if people are going to offer up insults then I am going to respond with equally dumb comments.
Old 03-23-2023, 09:55 AM   #10700
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey look Baron is back!
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks