Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2023, 11:51 AM   #5041
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

You may be bored of Moxley, but I highly encourage you to tune into the match between Kenny Omega and AAA Mega Champion El Hijo del Vikingo this week. This is a match with arguable the two best wrestlers in the world today, and was delayed from 2021 (I believe due to the pandemic).

Vikingo is an absolute madman. And Omega dials it up when he's facing NJPW and AAA opponents.

Expect a PPV-level match.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 11:52 AM   #5042
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

There was a lot of push back and anger directed at WWE when he was there, and I may have said this before, but I think they nailed what Moxley was. He was a guy who needed to be given direction and could not stay at the top of the card for more than a few weeks or couple months at a time and he needs to be in a group of equals, not at the head. In that role, he was exemplary. You didn't see the flaws and faults. He was protected, he was over and he was kept fresh.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:08 PM   #5043
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
There was a lot of push back and anger directed at WWE when he was there, and I may have said this before, but I think they nailed what Moxley was. He was a guy who needed to be given direction and could not stay at the top of the card for more than a few weeks or couple months at a time and he needs to be in a group of equals, not at the head. In that role, he was exemplary. You didn't see the flaws and faults. He was protected, he was over and he was kept fresh.
Yup.

He is fine for a couple months. He was great in AEW for a little bit, was hot after his NJPW run and the new vignettes.

Then it was just the same thing, over and over and over again, and he gets stale quickly and just can't evolve.

I don't think BCC helped either.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 02:13 PM   #5044
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I don't think BCC helped either.

He's the sole focus of it. Bryan Danielson just wants to wrestle and doesn't care to be at the top of the card. AEW is ####ing up Claudio as bad as WWE did (but atleast he's wrestling every week) and Regal left. He stands out and it's... not good.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-20-2023, 02:23 PM   #5045
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

To be honest, I can't watch him anymore. I change the channel when he's on. Moxley's 'I'm the toughest SOB on the planet' persona with his overrated brawling ring style just isn't appealing to me. AEW sure likes pumping his tires though, that's for sure.

Give me less Moxley, Jericho and JAS, Ethan Page, Stokely Hathaway, Young Bucks, Saraya, Toni Storm and (getting there) MJF, and more Kenny Omega, Rey Fenix, FTR, Samoa Joe, Buddy Matthews / HOB, and Claudio Castagnoli.

Also, Reddit would hate me for this, but I'm actually a fan of Jeff Jarrett's current AEW run. Dude is a master psychologist in the ring, and still a very damn good (old school style) wrester!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 02:33 PM   #5046
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

The issue with Moxley's brawling style is it looks so soft and ####ty.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 03-20-2023, 02:53 PM   #5047
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

Give me less Moxley, Jericho and JAS, Ethan Page, Stokely Hathaway, Young Bucks, Saraya, Toni Storm and (getting there) MJF, and more Kenny Omega, Rey Fenix, FTR, Samoa Joe, Buddy Matthews / HOB, and Claudio Castagnoli.
Moxley really needed that time off and he should have been taken off TV for 2 months after the loss to Hangman Page...but nope right back on TV the next week again for some reason after losing a death match.

MJF just needs to go back to not appearing every week and he will be fine.

I do like the 4 pillars match they are building with Darby, Jungle Boy, MJF and Guevara. For both Darby and Jungle Boy I think some time away from Sting/Cage will be good for both of them.

Omega needs to have a good singles run again, and is probably a guy that could use less frequent matches too.

Daniel Garcia should have left JAS but that storyline failed.

Overall they just need less focus on all the ex-WWE castoffs and go back to focusing on their own guys.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:06 PM   #5048
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Moxley was a great sideman in the shield. He was good on the mic. They kept his matches simple, and they really didn't push him that hard in WWE. But he was good with connecting emotionally.

Once he went to AEW and was given free reign he plateaued really quickly. Steve Austin was considered the toughest SOB in the world because his work looked that good, and that impactful. Bret Hart same thing, Samoa Joe, his stuff makes him look as tough as a man can get.

With Moxley, his work just looks awful and make believe. And his need to blade every single match shows that he's lost the understanding of what connects him to the audience. And fans have become desensitized to it.

I would love to see Mox lose some kind of loser leave town match and just go away for a while. Either that or just state that he's a midcarder at best.

In the woman's division, its just terrible. The best worker there is really Toni Storm. Go back and watch her stuff in the Mae Young Classics she was unbelievable. Instead they saddle her with a dead horse like Saraya and a lower mid carder anywhere else in Ruby.

Get her out of that group and get the belt on her and give Hayter someone decent to work with.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:16 PM   #5049
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting Toni into a group with Saraya coming off her title reign was a curious choice.

This whole trying to recreate the outsiders with Saraya, Toni, and Ruby was just weird too.

AEW'S obsession with factions hurts them so much at times.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:22 PM   #5050
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saraya is super overrated and boring IMO. Is in AEW, was in WWE. She gives the vibe that she thinks she's a legend or something, when she really isn't. Never understood the hype for her.
Old 03-20-2023, 04:58 PM   #5051
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Saraya is super overrated and boring IMO. Is in AEW, was in WWE. She gives the vibe that she thinks she's a legend or something, when she really isn't. Never understood the hype for her.
She was fresh when she was a new face injected into a division that was dominated by AJ Lee and the Bellas. She brought a different attitude the womens division needed at the time.

But really once Charlotte, Bailey, Sasha, and Becky joined the main roster she was already passed over and lost her spot at the top of the division.

She was already pushed out of the title scene on the women's side of things before she even had her neck injury. Plus had all her issues with Alberto Del Rio and her suspension for wellness policy had nobody really missing Paige.

She was one of those cases where the injury almost made people think of her more fondly, but now that she's back people go "Nope still pretty mediocre".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 09:18 PM   #5052
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Putting Toni into a group with Saraya coming off her title reign was a curious choice.

This whole trying to recreate the outsiders with Saraya, Toni, and Ruby was just weird too.

AEW'S obsession with factions hurts them so much at times.
I think tony really expected sasha banks/Mercedes to sign, would have heated up the storyline so much, now hes back where he started with nothing good for the womens division
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 09:22 PM   #5053
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Moxley really needed that time off and he should have been taken off TV for 2 months after the loss to Hangman Page...but nope right back on TV the next week again for some reason after losing a death match.

MJF just needs to go back to not appearing every week and he will be fine.

I do like the 4 pillars match they are building with Darby, Jungle Boy, MJF and Guevara. For both Darby and Jungle Boy I think some time away from Sting/Cage will be good for both of them.

Omega needs to have a good singles run again, and is probably a guy that could use less frequent matches too.

Daniel Garcia should have left JAS but that storyline failed.

Overall they just need less focus on all the ex-WWE castoffs and go back to focusing on their own guys.
For the four pillars I'm hoping it was just a tease and it doesnt happen till all out in September

Maybe double or nothing but they'd really need to heat up sammy again, keeping him and tay apart on screen is already helping, and make jungle boy more legit, hed need some massive wins.

I'm not the biggest Darby fan, but hes already at the level where him being in a multi man main event title match is believable
d_phaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 08:40 AM   #5054
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Got my tickets to AEW Forbidden Door! I haven't been to a North American wrestling PPV since 2019 Royal Rumble. So stoked! Toronto is going to be on fire for this one. Personally I think it's the best PPV AEW puts on, because it's absolutely booked for the smarks.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #5055
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

CM Punk post on instagram which he later deleted responding to a Meltzer post

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639020155341623296

Being told that he should do a match, even a squash match, when he wasn't medically cleared is a bad look for Tony.

Old 03-23-2023, 05:02 PM   #5056
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Especially with a knee injury. Even just taking a clothline or ddt from Moxley could mess it up.

WWE related but is anything more dissapointing in the last year than Bray Wyatt's return.

Had a great start, looked to be going somewhere interesting with a potential Wyatt 6, then they just dragged it out and it fell flat on its face.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:17 PM   #5057
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite version of Wyatt was with the early Wyatt family, and they were feuding with the Shield... great stuff. Those six-man tag matches were terrific. Throw Daniel Bryan into that group with his 'joining Wyatt' angle and his subsequent turn on them, and that was some really fun stuff. Orton going all arsonist on the Wyatt compound was hilarious too.

The amount of times they've tried stuff with Wyatt now is just... tired. He's lost too many times as that character to take him seriously anymore.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:52 AM   #5058
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1639452270197653504
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 02:18 PM   #5059
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have to say it's a bit annoying they havent announced the match cards for WM Night 1 and Night 2 yet.

As somebody who is going it Would be nice to know whats going to be on each night.
Old 03-26-2023, 04:04 PM   #5060
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Wait isn't this week the go home Raw and Smackdown?

I haven't been watching much wrestling lately, but would probably tune in to Wrestlemania