Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2023, 08:58 PM   #9421
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read an interesting article last night about the Minny Wild. They have almost 13 million in dead cap space this year, going up to 14.7 million the next 2 years from buying out Parise and Suter. It would seem that despite their current position in the standings, they would still be open to move out some money if the offer came along. I would think that Kaprizov, Addison, Boldy, Eriksson-Ek, and maybe Brodin would be off the table, but the article said they might want to shed Dumba (pending UFA, guess they want some assets), Greenway, Steel, and Goligoski.

Dumba has been linked to the Flames for years. I still like him as a player, and I think he would flourish here, but he's a pending UFA, so he would be a rental.

Hartman has one more year after this one, with a cap-hit of only 1.7m, so they probably want to keep him, but he would be great for us- plays RW, has offensive skill, and he's gritty as hell.

The name I'm a bit intrigued by is Greenway. The reason he's on the list is because his season has been dismal to say the least-only 6 points in 31 games. He's huge (6'6" 235lbs), can play both wings, skates well, and plays a physical brand of hockey. His defensive play has really picked up in recent years as well. He has a cap-hit of 3 mil for 2 years after this one.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #9422
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I’m not convinced that it’s a slam dunk.

Duclair would have to adjust to playing in the Sutter system, no guarantee of instant chemistry in a different environment.
True indeed…and hasn’t played in forever…however for me it’s still the one that intrigues me the most.
Huby/Kadri/Duclair - I like that.
His speed, offense (again no slam dunk it repeats), Acquisition cost/contract favourable as well.
Heck, if they do squeeze into the playoffs he would at least have fresh legs!

Duclair and Barbashev are the only 2 that interest me.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 09:15 PM   #9423
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I read an interesting article last night about the Minny Wild. They have almost 13 million in dead cap space this year, going up to 14.7 million the next 2 years from buying out Parise and Suter. It would seem that despite their current position in the standings, they would still be open to move out some money if the offer came along. I would think that Kaprizov, Addison, Boldy, Eriksson-Ek, and maybe Brodin would be off the table, but the article said they might want to shed Dumba (pending UFA, guess they want some assets), Greenway, Steel, and Goligoski.

Dumba has been linked to the Flames for years. I still like him as a player, and I think he would flourish here, but he's a pending UFA, so he would be a rental.

Hartman has one more year after this one, with a cap-hit of only 1.7m, so they probably want to keep him, but he would be great for us- plays RW, has offensive skill, and he's gritty as hell.

The name I'm a bit intrigued by is Greenway. The reason he's on the list is because his season has been dismal to say the least-only 6 points in 31 games. He's huge (6'6" 235lbs), can play both wings, skates well, and plays a physical brand of hockey. His defensive play has really picked up in recent years as well. He has a cap-hit of 3 mil for 2 years after this one.
And he doesn't like Nurse, and thats what I appreciates about him.
Old 02-02-2023, 09:16 PM   #9424
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
The next trade to be announced will involve Josh Anderson.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 10:34 PM   #9425
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is the perpetual weird love for Josh Anderson ! What am I missing

Montreal won’t put him in play ? (Sure it’s called negotiating) but why are teams lining up for this player

It would be the most Calgary Flames ever to acquire another 3rd liner that’s overpaid !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:43 PM   #9426
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
And he doesn't like Nurse, and thats what I appreciates about him.
Is that what you appreciates about him?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 01:20 AM   #9427
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Montreal won’t put him in play ? (Sure it’s called negotiating) but why are teams lining up for this player

It would be the most Calgary Flames ever to acquire another 3rd liner that’s overpaid !
He must be a really nice guy.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:09 AM   #9428
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Hanifin, Andersson, Chychrun's next contract will be way more than Weegar
That's why I'm saying 2023-2024 would be our best chance to win for us! After that the most of value contracts will expire and we will be forced to trade or to lose them anyway.

I hope 2023-2024 cap goes a little bit higher and we can keep couple of them.

Last edited by NewFan; 02-03-2023 at 02:11 AM.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:05 AM   #9429
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Josh Anderson hype is like a basic night club creating a line outside and making people wait to get inside that's empty. Mostly hype.
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CFO For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 05:51 AM   #9430
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Their team, fanbase and media is amazing at this. How do you think Chairot got a 1st last year that could easily be top 15 and maybe higher?
Old 02-03-2023, 06:10 AM   #9431
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He also hasn't played hockey since May and had a major inury
Especially an Achilles injury, look how long it took Erik karlsson to recover. Even now, Karlsson isn’t the same skater.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:16 AM   #9432
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Could you just imagine? Buy out Brouwer and immediately replace that bad deal with Neal which is flipped for Lucic and finally when there's light at the end of the tunnel again go hard after another really bad contract.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 06:25 AM   #9433
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Could you just imagine? Buy out Brouwer and immediately replace that bad deal with Neal which is flipped for Lucic and finally when there's light at the end of the tunnel again go hard after another really bad contract.
Imagine ! I’m fully prepared. I’m expecting the next Flames game to have an intermission segment with Cabbie and the odds on Anderson being traded to the Flames
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:30 AM   #9434
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Enter Johnathan Huberdeau
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:33 AM   #9435
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
I think Huberdeau will eventually find his groove here. He's a true talent, he's not comparable to Josh Anderson or James Neal. He's too talented not to IMO.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #9436
Flaming Horse
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Tre panicked. Worried about public perception. Some will say there was nothing he could do but we always have other options. Even if Hubey becomes a ppg player again that still does not justify that type of contract.Plus 64.m in bonus money.That is ridiculous. You need to be an impactful player to get that type of deal and he is just not the type of player to earn that contract. Unlike Neal and Brouwer he is trying. The effort is there and seems like a good guy but it is not his fault our gm is an idiot.
Flaming Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flaming Horse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:44 AM   #9437
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Tre panicked. Worried about public perception. Some will say there was nothing he could do but we always have other options. Even if Hubey becomes a ppg player again that still does not justify that type of contract.Plus 64.m in bonus money.That is ridiculous. You need to be an impactful player to get that type of deal and he is just not the type of player to earn that contract. Unlike Neal and Brouwer he is trying. The effort is there and seems like a good guy but it is not his fault our gm is an idiot.
He paced for 90+ points in four straight seasons before he got here... If that's not an impact player then your definition of such is completely wonky. He would have got 10.5M from any team with the money to give him that on the open market.

Darryl is vastly underutilizing his skillset.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HighLifeMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:51 AM   #9438
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think Huberdeau will eventually find his groove here. He's a true talent, he's not comparable to Josh Anderson or James Neal. He's too talented not to IMO.
Yep I'm not worried about Huby. He just may not be a fit in Sutter's system and he's going to be around longer than Darryl (hopefully).
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 09:54 AM   #9439
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Horse View Post
Lol The last 4 seasons he's been above a ppg. Last season he had 115 pts and in contention for the Hart. He's a 3rd overall pick and a legit superstar... You can't fault a GM in Tre's position for signing a player like that.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 10:02 AM   #9440
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Lol The last 4 seasons he's been above a ppg. Last season he had 115 pts and in contention for the Hart. He's a 3rd overall pick and a legit superstar... You can't fault a GM in Tre's position for signing a player like that.
You can justify why for sure

But he will be judged by the end results. Right now it’s not looking good for him unless Huberdeau turns around quickly.
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote