Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #7501
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternationalVillager View Post
Stats per game matter.
Not when you're talking about how many points a player scores in a season. Boeser has never scored 65.

The fact is, he's being paid the same money whether he's able to play or not. He would be worth his contract if he played 82 games or close to it, but when he misses so many, that's not good value.
Old 12-05-2022, 07:37 PM   #7502
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrong thread
Old 12-05-2022, 09:46 PM   #7503
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canucks are not gonna trade Boeser to a division or conference rival, especially the Flames. Plus, the cost is too much going the other way and the Flames don’t have cap room. It’ll be great if the Canucks take Markstrom back��. Aside from the joke, it’s not happening. The only way Flames get Boeser is thru free agency or some kind of multi-swap 3-way blockbuster trade in the off-season.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:51 PM   #7504
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If we are trading with the Ugly Whales I'll take Kuzmanko
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:54 PM   #7505
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

The comparisons between Boeser and Toffoli are fair, however- I agree with Villager, the better of the 2 players is clearly Boeser. I believe if he can get away from the Canucks, he still has some near-ppg seasons in him. I don't think the question is if he'll fit in, because I think he'll be fine. I also don't think it would be a bad thing if he was on the same team as Toffoli. He would just cost way too much to aquire, and his cap hit is way too high going forward.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 07:48 AM   #7506
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seeing Francis claim it will take a 1st to get Boeser seems pretty out of touch. They paid a first to dump a year of Monahan so I doubt it costs a 1st to acquire a player who is equally overpaid with more term on his deal
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 07:52 AM   #7507
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yep. Vancouver wants/needs cap space and its already been mentioned that they know the returns will be underwhelming. They aren't getting high picks.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 08:04 AM   #7508
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is where Lucic makes some sense for the Canucks. They basically clear the last 2 years of the Boeser deal out and gives them the cap flexibility they are seeking. I don’t think the Flames can take that type of salary in without a major subtraction next offseason. Is Boeser worth making that type of move?

There probably won’t be a better player that fits the teams needs that would come at that low of an acquisition cost. The cap piece makes it tough though.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:03 AM   #7509
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

In her rumblings article, Emily Kaplan of ESPN says the Flames could aggressively add. Doesn't expand much more than that so FWIW.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...-nhl-rumblings

Quote:
Trade market slow to pick up
Things have been relatively slow on the trade front; typically we get at least one or two transactions by Thanksgiving. Talks are expected to heat up around the league after the holiday freeze around Christmas, though we are starting to get a clearer picture of what teams and players could be in play.

Defenseman Jakob Chychrun is the big name, but the Arizona Coyotes have maintained a high asking price; it's greater than the first-round pick, two second-round picks and two players that the Anaheim Ducks received for Hampus Lindholm last season ahead of the trade deadline.

The Los Angeles Kings are believed to be in the mix for Chychrun. At the same time, they are trying to clear a log jam on the right side of their defense. The Maple Leafs are looking to add and the priority is defense given how banged up their blue line is. The Calgary Flames could aggressively add, and always keep an eye on the Tampa Bay Lightning for making a sneaky splash.

The Florida Panthers have been so pressed for cap space they've been unable most nights to dress a full 23-man roster. While it was initially pressing to clear space for Anthony Duclair, who could return as soon as this month, Patric Hornqvist going on long-term injured reserve buys them some time.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 09:23 AM   #7510
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Seeing Francis claim it will take a 1st to get Boeser seems pretty out of touch. They paid a first to dump a year of Monahan so I doubt it costs a 1st to acquire a player who is equally overpaid with more term on his deal
Monny was, at the time, considered damaged goods with little chance of rebounding.

Boesser likely just needs a change of scenery. He still has some upside.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 09:30 AM   #7511
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sat Shah who is well connected within the Canucks organization said the Canucks are not expecting a big return and will take back salary (preferably 1 or 2 year contract) to trade Boeser. So it doesn't sound like it will take a first round pick to get Boeser.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 09:36 AM   #7512
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Monny was, at the time, considered damaged goods with little chance of rebounding.

I believe this very thing. Boeser isn’t the fastest, but he would blow away both Mony and Toffoli in a race. He’s young, and could put up some really solid seasons going forward. Toffoli isn’t getting any younger either.
Old 12-06-2022, 09:42 AM   #7513
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Boeser has either missed a bunch of time due to injury or last year had a very average season making $6.65M for a winger. He may benefit from a change of scenery but has never hit 60pts in a season and has always been a dud defensively. In my opinion he is either moved for a similar type player with a questionable contract, a lesser player that will free up space for Vancouver sooner, or packaged with a sweetener to simply dump the money
Old 12-06-2022, 09:47 AM   #7514
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iain MacIntyre of SN said via Twitter that there were scouts from 11 teams watching Canucks/Habs….
Old 12-06-2022, 09:49 AM   #7515
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Boeser has either missed a bunch of time due to injury or last year had a very average season making $6.65M for a winger. He may benefit from a change of scenery but has never hit 60pts in a season and has always been a dud defensively. In my opinion he is either moved for a similar type player with a questionable contract, a lesser player that will free up space for Vancouver sooner, or packaged with a sweetener to simply dump the money
While he's never hit 60 points in a season, his lifetime PPG based on 82 game season equates to 65 points.

He's often missed time, but he produces very well when he plays. He's even on a 66 point pace this season.

I don't think he has negative value.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 09:56 AM   #7516
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

PPG pace is great. But games played matter - especially when your cap hit is over $6M.

The fact is that Boeser hasn't hit 50 pts in 4 years. And has never hit 60.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:11 AM   #7517
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While he's never hit 60 points in a season, his lifetime PPG based on 82 game season equates to 65 points.

He's often missed time, but he produces very well when he plays. He's even on a 66 point pace this season.

Agree to disagree. One dimensional winger with injury history and a large ticket for the next 2 years. I can’t see a team racing to give up anything significant for him. I don’t believe the Canucks will have to give up a 1st to move him but the table is being set for a low return with rumors it will require a sweetener for some teams to take him off their hands
Old 12-06-2022, 10:18 AM   #7518
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Almost the same as the Canucks.

I always find it hard judging players value on a bad team.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:22 AM   #7519
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I recall a bunch of people panicking when Tanev was signed. He can't stay healthy! Vancouver sucks why do we want him and so on.

I'll bet Boeser has a better than average chance of returning to form with Calgary.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #7520
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I recall a bunch of people panicking when Tanev was signed. He can't stay healthy! Vancouver sucks why do we want him and so on.

I'll bet Boeser has a better than average chance of returning to form with Calgary.
I was just going to post this about Tanev. What happens in Vancouver isn't a guarantee to happen here.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post: