Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
lanny You're the GM - missed playoff edition

With the (not surprising) elimination from the playoff race fresh in our minds, what is everyone's strategy to move forward? Please assume that we are stuck with Huberdeau, Kadri & Markstrom. Please also assume that a full (burn it down) rebuild is not on the table due to ownership direction. What do you do to get this team to the promise-land?

The first thing I do is fire Sutter, Muller and the goaltending coaches. Bring up Mitch Love on a 2 year tryout as head coach.

Next, I commit to bringing up youth in the system. Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf, Zary and Phillips are all in the mix. I will make sure there is a minimum of 3 places available, and others available if my hand is forced. I sign Phillips to a 1 year, 1-way contract to show him we value him and this past year was an error.

Next, I fly out to see Kylington and determine if he should be in our plans for next season. Assume a yes.

UFAs all walk except Stetcher who showed value on the bottom pair, and Stone who is the perfect number 7. I try to sign Stetcher to a 2-yr deal, Stone to a 1-yr and offer a PTO to Lewis.

Next I determine which pending UFAs could/should be re-signed. Determine their interest and demand. Anyone who does not want to be re-signed will be traded prior to the deadline. This will be announced publicly to create a bidding war.

Regardless of their intention, I try to sell Toffoli and Hanafin this summer for high picks and/or young stars/RFAs. I also unload Vladar at the draft, and test the market on other roster players (Dube for example). I expect to get the equivalent of 3 firsts & 3 seconds for this group which will give a shot in the arm to our depth.

Backlund, Lindholm, Tanev, Zadorov are TBD based on their intentions. I hope to extend Lindholm this summer if feasible, and am open to do so with all four.

Next year at camp, we are looking at the following roster:
Huberdeau - Lindholm - Pelletier
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coronato
Coleman - Dube/Kadri - Phillips
_______ - Dube/Kadri - Duehr
Ruzicka - Lewis

Weegar - Anderson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Stetcher
Stone

Markstrom
Wolf

The way I see it, this team will be in the mushy middle next year regardless of these changes. If we can manage our assets better for the next few years, draft/develop well, and ensure our elite players play at their potential, we may be able to advance without the tanking approach this ownership is averse to. Or at least give us an entertaining product!
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trade Gaudreau
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:16 PM   #3
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Trade for Goodrow, make him wear 13. Trade for Katchouk and make him wear 19.

Basically a WWF fake Razor & Diesel moment.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #4
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conduct interviews, ask pointed questions about the season what went well and what needs to improve

Next step, within 2 weeks of the end of the season. I would release Sutter of his coaching duties, offer a position within the organization,

From a players perspective the group of players who are UFAs on July 1, 2024 need to be addressed as the top priority.

UFAs, perspective. Lucic is not resigned, Nick Ritchie is not resigned, Trevor Lewis is not resigned. Michael Stone is offered another 1 year deal and Troy Stecher is offered a 2 year deal

Lindholm and Toffoli are the toughest decisions this summer, while Backlund is moved early in the off season.

On the list is to acquire a top 6 right winger. This is a trade to add someone who can play with Hubereau.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #5
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would probably start selling and force Sutter to play young players. Sutter didn't come out of semi-retirement for a rebuild, so there is a chance he just quits if that happens anyway. Sutter plays grindy veterans because that is what Treliving gave him. Don't re-sign those players and Sutter can't play them.

If Sutter doesn't quit, just ride out the next couple of years. The young players might be miserable during that time, but by the the time the 2 years are up, they will probably be ecstatic with even a moderately hardnosed coach after that.

I'd put Huberdeau, Kadri, and Markstrom on the market and trade them for anything that didn't involve having to add a sweetener or taking back an anchor. Likely not possible, but I would try.

I'd also be open to sell two of Toffoli, Lindholm, or Backlund, and one of Zadorov or Weegar, for the right return. I'd keep Tanev and Coleman to mentor the young players.

If the rumours about Edwards are true, there is no way he approves this though. So this is more likely what Trelving does this summer:

Old 04-11-2023, 03:36 PM   #6
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fire Sutter and Kirk Muller. Maybe retain Huska and MacLean.

Either promote Mitch Love or bring in Bruce Boudreau.

Explore the trade market for Toffoli, Backlund, and Tanev. Honestly none should be in the long term plans based on their age and should be moved.

Hanifin and Lindholm. Explore extensions, if the ask is too high then they should be shopped as well.

Zadorov can go either way in terms of keeping him vs selling him.

Try to extend Phillips and give him an actual look. Extend Stecher.

Don't spend money on UFAs...leverage any cap space to either take a contract on from a team needing to clear cap or save it to help faciliate trades in the season.

This can be the base for the roster - and depending on the market you can look to add some veterans but don't be afraid to start the season with a young team.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Dube
Mangiapane - Kadri - Phillips
Coleman - Ruzicka - Coronato
Pelletier - Zary - Duehr

Hanifin - Anderson
Kylington - Weegar
Zadorov - Stetcher
Gilbert

Markstrom
Wolf
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:40 PM   #7
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Phillips is a UFA mistreated by this org/coach.
He’s not coming back, so you can scratch him from your projected rosters.
Royle9 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:42 PM   #8
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I would fire Huska and MacLean as well. Huska has been around for Peters, Ward and now Sutter too much carry over from previous staffs.

Time to start fresh with a new staff with new ideas.

If the rumours are true and the Flames are cheap I would hire Mitch Love he shouldn't cost much and has potential to grow with the team.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Phillips is a UFA mistreated by this org/coach.
He’s not coming back, so you can scratch him from your projected rosters.
I'm the GM...so I will convince him to stay lol
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:48 PM   #10
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The first step is to draft the best player in the draft 16th overall
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2023, 03:49 PM   #11
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Fire Sutter and Kirk Muller. Maybe retain Huska and MacLean.

Either promote Mitch Love or bring in Bruce Boudreau.

Explore the trade market for Toffoli, Backlund, and Tanev. Honestly none should be in the long term plans based on their age and should be moved.

Hanifin and Lindholm. Explore extensions, if the ask is too high then they should be shopped as well.

Zadorov can go either way in terms of keeping him vs selling him.

Try to extend Phillips and give him an actual look. Extend Stecher.

Don't spend money on UFAs...leverage any cap space to either take a contract on from a team needing to clear cap or save it to help faciliate trades in the season.

This can be the base for the roster - and depending on the market you can look to add some veterans but don't be afraid to start the season with a young team.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Dube
Mangiapane - Kadri - Phillips
Coleman - Ruzicka - Coronato
Pelletier - Zary - Duehr

Hanifin - Anderson
Kylington - Weegar
Zadorov - Stetcher
Gilbert

Markstrom
Wolf
Man this is really close to my thoughts, except I'm not a Boudreau guy.

I'm still interested in Toffoli and Backlund IF they would sign for 3 years at reasonable amounts. Kadri I have not liked all year but maybe he can do better, and he's super tough to move anyway.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:50 PM   #12
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

First question: what is Kylington's status?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #13
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't even imagine the regression a full year out of the NHL would have on a player. Oliver coming back even close to where he was last season is a pipe dream
The Fisher Account is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #14
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trade Hanifin and Toffoli. Assuming Kylington is back anyway, if not keep Hanifin. Of course if Hanifin re-signs at a good deal and Kylington returns, trade Tanev.

Do everything you can to re-sign Lindholm.

Trade a goalie, need to make room for Wolf

Not enough public information about Sutter. If the team hates him, get rid of him. If it's just rumors let him go for the redemption tour.

Get younger, especially in the bottom 6.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Pelletier/Coronato
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Dube - Kadri - Pelletier/Coronato
Walker/Ruzicka/Zary/whoever

Weegar - Andersson
Kylington - Tanev
Zadorov - Stetcher

Markstrom
Wolf

Honestly just rotate 1 RW until they find some chemistry. Huberdeau and Lindholm just has to work.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #15
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

-Change the coaches
-Trade any expiring contract possible for decent returns (draft picks)
-Trade Kadri if any possible (unlikely)
-Come back with a group led by Huberdeau, Weager, Mangiapane, Coleman and mostly kids
-Wolf and Markstrom goaltending duo

Probably still be in the mid 4-6 pack for the division with Vancouver and Seattle again and be a bubble team for another year, but with some excitement of youth, draft picks, prospects and maybe an instant goalie star.
Be excited for the season or 2 after next as we start to see a new core emerging.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 03:56 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
The first step is to draft the best player in the draft 16th overall
I doubt Bedard falls that far.
Old 04-11-2023, 03:57 PM   #17
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
I can't even imagine the regression a full year out of the NHL would have on a player. Oliver coming back even close to where he was last season is a pipe dream
I get that, but if he is prepared to return, he's under contract and there is no mechanism for the Flames to do anything but play him, either in Calgary or the AHL, where most of his contract would still count against the cap. Meanwhile, he is presumably going to want to play (?) to demonstrate that someone should sign him next summer, unless he's just... done with hockey altogether, which seems unlikely... although unless I missed something there was never any indication about what the personal reasons were that kept him out, so no way of knowing if they're of a nature that would end his career, or not.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #18
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
Who has taken a full year off absent physical injury? I remember Ken Dryden did it.

Including injury, we may see how Landeskog does.
Old 04-11-2023, 04:00 PM   #19
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I come back with a new coaching staff and largely the same roster. If it goes south again I sell next season.

I feel like this team is better than what they showed but there’s clearly a disconnect between the coach and the players.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 04:01 PM   #20
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I get that, but if he is prepared to return, he's under contract and there is no mechanism for the Flames to do anything but play him, either in Calgary or the AHL, where most of his contract would still count against the cap. Meanwhile, he is presumably going to want to play (?) to demonstrate that someone should sign him next summer, unless he's just... done with hockey altogether, which seems unlikely... although unless I missed something there was never any indication about what the personal reasons were that kept him out, so no way of knowing if they're of a nature that would end his career, or not.
I think Calgary probably has the ability to terminate due to his failure to report, unless he was under some sort of program, which was never confirmed IIRC. They just gave him a pass which benefitted him by keeping his salary going.