Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #41
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got lots of faith in CMLC. The Library is stunning, and I'm hoping for something similar from the arena. Excited to see what they can do.

I hope the inverted bowl does get used, because I have to think it would be an absolutely amazing environment to have so many seats "on top" of the ice.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #42
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It will be designed to maximize revenue for the flames.
That's fine. There is a difference between having a firm designining to maximize revenues, and having the client be knee-deep in the design process itself.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #43
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I've got lots of faith in CMLC. The Library is stunning, and I'm hoping for something similar from the arena. Excited to see what they can do.

I hope the inverted bowl does get used, because I have to think it would be an absolutely amazing environment to have so many seats "on top" of the ice.
You mean the homeless / junkie daytime drop-in centre?
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #44
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Do you have a link to this? In my recollections of the past two or three years of discussion, King has never committed to any specifics about the new building beyond that it would be absolutely state of the art. This has often been taken to mean it would be an inverted bowl, in large part because Roseti did the early renders, and Flames logo and gear appear in their promotional material, but as far as I know no one has publicly committed to this design for the new building.
It seems very unlikely that Rosetti would put people in Flames uniforms into their video - or that the Flames would allow that - if they weren't already the preferred choice. That said, since the city has to give its own input, it makes sense that the Flames haven't just come out and said "this is the design".
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:02 PM   #45
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
You mean the homeless / junkie daytime drop-in centre?
I think he means the tax-payer-funded facility which is open to all residents and visitors to the City of Calgary, regardless of socio-economic status or disabilities, etc.

In some ways, its a shame that the new arena, another (albeit partially) tax-payer-funded facility, will not be open to all residents and visitors to the City of Calgary, regardless of socio-economic status or disabilities. But I suppose not every facility can be as great as the Central Library.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:11 PM   #46
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I think he means the tax-payer-funded facility which is open to all residents and visitors to the City of Calgary, regardless of socio-economic status or disabilities, etc.

In some ways, its a shame that the new arena, another (albeit partially) tax-payer-funded facility, will not be open to all residents and visitors to the City of Calgary, regardless of socio-economic status or disabilities. But I suppose not every facility can be as great as the Central Library.
How much money is the library returning to the City of Calgary? The City currently says that the new arena will return $400 M over the lifetime of the arena.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #47
FlameyMcFlameFace
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is there a slideshow of all the renderings? Or how do I take a look at this beauty?
FlameyMcFlameFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameyMcFlameFace View Post
Is there a slideshow of all the renderings? Or how do I take a look at this beauty?
There really isn't yet. The design hasn't been selected.

You can see the hype video for the Flames/Rosetti's preferred design here: http://theinvertedbowl.com/

It's mostly in a basketball configuration in the video since the LA Clippers arena is supposed to be the first one to use this design, but with it in legal limbo last I checked, there is a small chance Calgary could sneak in and be the first - if the design is ultimately selected.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:18 PM   #49
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
There are no official renderings yet, although these were released as part of the CMLC negotiation with the Flames in the summer...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1063159565426913282

The same images and a few more also appear on the city's Victoria Park Event Centre page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 12-05-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:23 PM   #50
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
How much money is the library returning to the City of Calgary? The City currently says that the new arena will return $400 M over the lifetime of the arena.
This is an interesting question, i suspect you asked it indignantly/ to try and make a point about public investment in the library.

I would be willing to bet that the outcome would be different than you expect.

Here's a great study done by the Indiana Business Research Centre on the economic impact of Indiana's public library system: https://www.ibrc.indiana.edu/studies...aries_2007.pdf

The executive summary notes that direct economic benefit of $2.38 resulted from every $1 of cost on libraries (not including any indirect impact, which the arena $$ return value you posted certainly does.) This figure rises substantially if you also include wages and public expenditures the libraries need to make to operate.

If proportional, that study would imply that calgary's central library will generate ~ ($245 million *$2.38/1$)= $583.1 million

Let's round down and say $500 million in direct economic value according to academics.

Last edited by Monahammer; 12-05-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:26 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW I think the Library is very nice looking from the outside, and it's pretty on the inside too. But I question its use of interior space. Considering the footprint, it's usable space is a lot smaller than possible, and what's used is not used that well in some areas.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #52
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
This is an interesting question, i suspect you asked it indignantly/ to try and make a point about public investment in the library.

Here's a great study done by the Indiana Business Research Centre on the economic impact of Indiana's public library system: https://www.ibrc.indiana.edu/studies...aries_2007.pdf

The executive summary notes that direct economic benefit of $2.38 resulted from every $1 of cost on libraries (not including any indirect impact, which the arena $$ return value you posted certainly does.)

If proportional, that study would imply that calgary's central library will generate ~ ($245 million *$2.38/1$)= $583.1 million

Let's round down and say $500 million in direct economic value according to academics.
That's a good view.

I think the only disclaimer should be that the study listed is looking at a library system that was more widespread and broader reaching.

In comparison to the Calgary investing the money in revamping a single central library.

Not 100% clear if you get the same return on a single library vs having a more broad and accessible network of libraries across multiple locations.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:32 PM   #53
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

The executive summary notes that direct economic benefit of $2.38 resulted from every $1 of cost on libraries (not including any indirect impact, which the arena $$ return value you posted certainly does.) This figure rises substantially if you also include wages and public expenditures the libraries need to make to operate.

If you are going to include direct/indirect impact on wages etc., you have to do that with the arena project also. How much do the teams/events spend on employee wages and costs for food/goods used. Then when you expand the wages and goods to outside facilities such as restaurants, bars, cabs etc., (which this report does to show impact on outside groups) the number would have to be in the billions. I am sure the report does not show what you thought it was going to show. So if we use your number of $2.38/1$ then the arena will provide $645.5 M on the city contribution only. You can not use the report/calculation on only projects that you choose to champion.
Old 12-05-2019, 02:33 PM   #54
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And all of this is quite apart from the social value of having inclusive public spaces where everyone feels welcome and part of the community. As I understand it (though I am admittedly far from an expert) having these sorts also benefits the community through decreased crime and improved health (both physical and mental).
Old 12-05-2019, 02:43 PM   #55
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
If you are going to include direct/indirect impact on wages etc., you have to do that with the arena project also. How much do the teams/events spend on employee wages and costs for food/goods used. Then when you expand the wages and goods to outside facilities such as restaurants, bars, cabs etc., (which this report does to show impact on outside groups) the number would have to be in the billions. I am sure the report does not show what you thought it was going to show. So if we use your number of $2.38/1$ then the arena will provide $645.5 M on the city contribution only. You can not use the report/calculation on only projects that you choose to champion.
Can both the library and arena not be important projects that produce positive social and economic benefits for Calgary? Why does it have to be one over the other?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:44 PM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spoiler!
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 02:57 PM   #57
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
It seems very unlikely that Rosetti would put people in Flames uniforms into their video - or that the Flames would allow that - if they weren't already the preferred choice.
Not necessarily the case...the firm may just done that to try to with the business. Ive done similar things before too with my clients when trying to win the contract...it just demonstrates a little extra effort and allows the client to picture themselves with your product.

Having said that, it does seem like Rosetti has the inside edge with the Flames. However the Flames are not the only stakeholder anymore, so its not just up to them.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #58
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'd love to see some real citizen inclusive vision on this center, with restaurants, gathering spaces, etc built into the center itself with access into the "ticketed area" possible via these spaces. It'd be nice to have a facility that can not only be an arena but also an every day venue.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #59
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Can both the library and arena not be important projects that produce positive social and economic benefits for Calgary? Why does it have to be one over the other?
Excellent comment and thanks for making it.

I agree that both buildings are great and needed by different groups of people. We need all types of new facilities and everyone arguing for what they think is important just drives everyone apart.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beatle17 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #60
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

I swear, if it doesn't have a Sbarro's.....
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote