Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2018, 10:39 PM   #2021
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jerseys and the arena are mutually exclusive. I really hope the rumours of a retro third are true and that it can become the main jersey whenever the contract to keep the current mediocre design runs out.

It seems like a no brainer to me to go with a retro or retro inspired home and away with a third jersey based on the ones from 2004. Then you have red, white, and black flaming Cs to slap on merchandise. They also need to get rid of the flags ASAP. Instead I really like the shoulder logo from the otherwise brutal recent third. It is a creative way to represent the Flames while being inspired by the shield of Alberta.

At least we know they ugly jerseys aren't effecting the on ice performance since the Caps just won the cup with some of the worst in the league.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:49 PM   #2022
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Jerseys and the arena are mutually exclusive. I really hope the rumours of a retro third are true and that it can become the main jersey whenever the contract to keep the current mediocre design runs out.

It seems like a no brainer to me to go with a retro or retro inspired home and away with a third jersey based on the ones from 2004. Then you have red, white, and black flaming Cs to slap on merchandise. They also need to get rid of the flags ASAP. Instead I really like the shoulder logo from the otherwise brutal recent third. It is a creative way to represent the Flames while being inspired by the shield of Alberta.

At least we know they ugly jerseys aren't effecting the on ice performance since the Caps just won the cup with some of the worst in the league.
What didn't you like about the Caps jerseys? I quite liked them

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Munroe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #2023
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtor 1 View Post
I’m not a fan of the non traditional template, especially the striping on the arms, and they have a very boring logo. I’d say them, Anaheim, and Edmonton have the three worst in the league.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #2024
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
They're the same idea as ours. One of only a handful of teams still going with that 2006 NHL pushed jersey design.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:03 PM   #2025
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
I don't think contracts for jersey designs are a thing, had you heard that somewhere? I think some teams just stick with things if they work or if the team isn't really well skilled or passionate at jersey design (Flames).

Teams change jerseys all the time and often quickly based on fan or team desires. Pittsburg for example brought back the 90's jersey as an alternate. Then there was so much fan purchasing that they made it the home, then the next season they introduced the white version and ditched their full time modern sets altogether.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:10 PM   #2026
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the Jerseys the Flames have now. Still, new jersey designs are fun, and in a year where there is no draft speculation, it would be nice to have something happen in the off season in order to keep me entertained.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #2027
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don't think contracts for jersey designs are a thing, had you heard that somewhere? I think some teams just stick with things if they work or if the team isn't really well skilled or passionate at jersey design (Flames).

Teams change jerseys all the time and often quickly based on fan or team desires. Pittsburg for example brought back the 90's jersey as an alternate. Then there was so much fan purchasing that they made it the home, then the next season they introduced the white version and ditched their full time modern sets altogether.
I've heard that a team is required to keep a new design for a minimum of three seasons before it can be replaced. That's why the Flames kept the "Calgary" script thirds for three seasons and then dumped them. I believe that teams have dropped a poorly-received third jersey after just one or two seasons, but then they went without a third until the original three years were up.

Special event jerseys, like those used during the outdoor games, don't have the same three-year requirement.

A few teams have re-introduced their retro jerseys like Pittsburgh did (Edmonton, Philadelphia, and the Islanders come to mind). I suspect that whatever the Flames use for an alternate next season (whether retro or not) will be joined by a white version as the main uniform within 2 years.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #2028
jayswin

Exp:

Great info, thanks! So Pitssburgh was able to change their retros to primary so quickly because that had had their old jerseys for more than three years.

Last edited by jayswin; 06-11-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:00 PM   #2029
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if we're stuck with the flags for two more seasons, that would bring the current design to 2020. At 13 years (07-20) that would make them the second longest tenured uniform in Flames history (14 for the retros). That's a damn shame. They should have been three years and turfed.

Last edited by N-E-B; 06-11-2018 at 11:14 PM.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 PM   #2030
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think they could do a lot better with the symbolism this team has available

[/digress]
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 06:50 AM   #2031
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

That’s a monstrosity. Caps have some of the best jerseys in the league.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #2032
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their word mark doesn't even make any sense. They call themselves the Capitals, but use all lower case. Utter nonsense.

Spoiler!
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #2033
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
That’s a monstrosity. Caps have some of the best jerseys in the league.

They really don’t.

Their home and away sets are down at the bottom of the league with the Flames and Senators
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #2034
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Their word mark doesn't even make any sense. They call themselves the Capitals, but use all lower case. Utter nonsense.

Spoiler!
Not sure if serious..
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #2035
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I'm sure its been done (likely in this very thread) but if someone can re-post (or create) the Flames home retro with the Adidas template that would be great. Just want to see that mock up. Nothing fancy, nothing ad-lib'd.

If it is in this thread and I've missed it can you link to that post for me? Thank you
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 AM   #2036
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
A few teams have re-introduced their retro jerseys like Pittsburgh did (Edmonton, Philadelphia, and the Islanders come to mind). I suspect that whatever the Flames use for an alternate next season (whether retro or not) will be joined by a white version as the main uniform within 2 years.
Buffalo as well. And all of those teams that have re-introduced their retro sets look the sharpest on the ice. Yes, that includes the Oil, up until they switched to navy blue this past season.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:36 AM   #2037
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Please get rid of the black on all Flames and Stampeders jerseys ASAP. 1992 was the pinnacle of sports teams jerseys in this city and we've been suffering ever since.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #2038
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
I'm sure its been done (likely in this very thread) but if someone can re-post (or create) the Flames home retro with the Adidas template that would be great. Just want to see that mock up. Nothing fancy, nothing ad-lib'd.

If it is in this thread and I've missed it can you link to that post for me? Thank you
I don't know if someone has done one before, but if they use the same/similar template as the Sabres/Pens/Oilers (the other teams with rounded shoulders), and remain as faithful as possible to the retros, they should look something like this...

Old 06-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #2039
jayswin

Exp:

I think I'm the only one but I really want to see the modern day Flames in the white retro kit. I think it would look way cooler than many think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #2040
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I think I'm the only one but I really want to see the modern day Flames in the white retro kit. I think it would look way cooler than many think.
Not just you. I've always loved the white retros, even more than the reds.