Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #921
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's sad how awful the officiating was yesterday.

There has to be a better way to use replay without slowing the game down too much.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:45 PM   #922
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the regular season, the present rules should remain the same. They don't want these games going on for too long.

In playoff games, the rules should remain the same (coin toss, kickoffs), except if the first team with possession scores a TD (and depending on PAT or extra point conversion being good), then the opposing team has to match it (or surpass to win game) in the next possession to continue OT.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #923
Saint Troy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the easy solution is make everything reviewable/challengeable but still only two challenges per team. And then have college football style booth review for headshots.

Saint Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #924
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
For the regular season, the present rules should remain the same. They don't want these games going on for too long.

In playoff games, the rules should remain the same (coin toss, kickoffs), except if the first team with possession scores a TD (and depending on PAT or extra point conversion being good), then the opposing team has to match it (or surpass to win game) in the next possession to continue OT.
But then the next possession the Pats just need a FG which is worse. Unless you are having a bunch of minigames college style.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #925
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

For NFL OT I’d like to see:

Regular season: tweak rule to simply be first to 6 points.
Playoffs: Play a full 2 10 minute halves. If still tied the 2nd half continues on with no clock sudden death.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:28 PM   #926
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
The NFL will discuss this offseason whether to make pass-interference penalties reviewable, a source confirmed in the wake of the infamous no-call that helped decide Sunday's NFC Championship Game

Saints owner Gayle Benson said in a statement that she has been in contact with the NFL over the no-call.

"No team should ever be denied the opportunity to reach the title game (or simply win a game) based on the actions, or inactions, of those charged with creating a fair and equitable playing field. As is clear to all who watched the game, it is undeniable that our team and fans were unfairly deprived of that opportunity yesterday," she said in a statement. "I have been in touch with the NFL regarding yesterday's events and will aggressively pursue changes in NFL policies to ensure no team and fan base is ever put in a similar position again. It is a disservice to our coaches, players, employees and, most importantly, the fans who make our game possible. The NFL must always commit to providing the most basic of expectations -- fairness and integrity."
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...rference-calls
Old 01-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #927
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
But then the next possession the Pats just need a FG which is worse. Unless you are having a bunch of minigames college style.
I feel at that point, it's fair to let it be next score wins, so then the defense has to play a role in getting the ball back for their team. The argument for the current playoff OT format is that the other team doesn't get a chance at the ball, which is addressed by giving them a chance to match a TD. After that, it should be sudden death.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #928
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Pat Kirwan on Sirius NFL radio said he received a text today from a current GM who said expanded replay has been tabled annually for years and the league just keeps passing on it. There's some teams that have successful defenses especially the ones that play a lot of man coverage that don't want their guys exposed to scrutiny of replay. It would be ironic if the Saints were one of the teams annually opposed to it. I think this incident will probably be the tipping point but there's still going to be some opposition from teams.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-21-2019 at 07:42 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #929
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
fear is a defensive struggle or bad weather will make scoring impossible from midfield. or it just becomes a kicking contest.
I’m not sure we would see that very often. One first down puts you into field goal range essentially and bad weather can promote scoring as much as hinder it. I’d be surprised if OT went more than two possessions each most times. To counter endless field goals consider eliminating them after two possessions.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:28 PM   #930
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just add one 15 minute quarter for playoff OT. Play the full 15 minutes, no whoever scores a td first or anything like that.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:30 AM   #931
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
That is such a bad analogy I can't even believe someone would post it.

At least with a faceoff in hockey it's a skill that's part of the game that's required to at least establish the original possession. Plus it's a very fluid game where possession can be won or lost much easier as part of the regular flow of the game.

This Chiefs fan isn't crying about the OT format...it's the way things go, and it is better than the old format of win the toss and kick a field goal. I still prefer the college format, but that's a preference.

I will also add that the Rams have nothing to complain about...they were gifted that last possesion in regulation to tie the game. New Orleans should have had first and 10 and the chance to bleed the clock to nothing if the officials call that game correctly.
I think that's 100% the case. If we won the toss and scored, would we hear the same cry from NE supporters? It's the way the rules are and hardly the "reason" the Chiefs didn't win.

I'm totally disappointed and wish the game would've gone the other way...I wish Ford didn't line up offside, or we blitzed when they were 3rd and long or covered Edelman or whatever. But I don't have any sour grapes or think that NE didn't deserve it or anything like that. If anything, I basically think that NE and that last 15 years there is incredible. I don't like them, but the truth is they're just good.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #932
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fun to look back at this Patriots dynasty. 9 Super Bowl Appearances for Brady and I feel like all of them are some of the most dramatic moments in NFL history.

2002: The Tuck Rule: Oakland. AFC Championshp Game. It was a fumble, everyone knows it was a fumble. Then in the Super Bowl Brady leads the Pats down the field with 1:30 left to set up a game winning field goal. Patriots 20 - Rams 17

2004: 37 4th quarter points between the 2 teams in the Super Bowl. Panthers kicker puts the ball out of bounds to give the Pats starting field position at the 40, Brady once again sets up an Adam Vinateri game winning field goal. Patriots 32 - Panthers 29

2005: Tied going into the 4th quarter and a game clinching interception from Rodney Harrisson to seal the win late in the 4th. 3 interceptions from McNabb cost the Eagles the game. Patriots 24 - Eagles 21

2008: 16-0 Patriots go into the Super Bowl as heavy favourites and the "Helmet Catch" sets up the Victory for the Giants. Giants 17 - Patriots 14

2012: First the Patriots squeak by in the AFC Championship game due to a missed game tying field goal by the Ravens. Then in the Super Bowl it's Manningham with the crazy catch, the Patriots let the Giants score, and then Brady can't make magic with a hail mary. Giants 21 - Patriots 17

2015: The Patriots beat the Seahawks but once again it's a late interception to seal the win when the Seahawks make the inexplicable decision to throw on 2nd and goal from the 1 yard line. Patriots 28 - Seahawks 24

2017: Down 28-3 the Patriots storm back to tie the game up at 28 with a minute left. Patriots win the coin toss and Brady leads a touchdown drive to win the game Patriots 34 - Falcons 28 OT

2018: The least dramatic of all Patriots Super Bowl games. Foles storybook season continues as he catches a touchdown pass on a 4th and 1 to close the first half. Eagles 41 - Patriots 33

2019: Already have the classic late game between the Patriots and Chiefs ending in OT...I'm guessing it will be another close one in the Super Bowl.

As boring as it is to have the Patriots in the Super Bowl 9 times in the last 20 years, they also always seem to have great, dramatic games with huge moments.

Patriots could be 9-0, or 0-9 in Super Bowls, it's just always that close. Always 1 score games that seem to come down to either OT or a late game winning drive.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:30 AM   #933
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just shows you how much football is a random game and a game of more or less luck in some ways. Yeah they could be 9-0 or 0-9, and it comes down to about 15 plays that are the difference. If they win the Super Bowl this year they will have won their last two Super Bowls because of coin flips. That's why the NFL usually has such year to year change, because of the randomness of it. So Chiefs fans might think "Mahomes, we're gonna be back", but ask Aaron Rodgers how that worked out for him. You never know, always best to cash when you have a chance.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 01-22-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #934
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Just shows you how much football is a random game and a game of more or less luck in some ways. Yeah they could be 9-0 or 0-9, and it comes down to about 15 plays that are the difference. If they win the Super Bowl this year they will have won their last two Super Bowls because of coin flips. That's why the NFL usually has such year to year change, because of the randomness of it. So Chiefs fans might think "Mahomes, we're gonna be back", but ask Aaron Rodgers how that worked out for him. You never know, always best to cash when you have a chance.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #935
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Yea cause they didn't do anything else all game to win. I know it's hard but why can't people just admit that the patriots went to Arrowhead and won that game. they held the highest scoring offense to 0 first half points and if not for a bone head decision should have been up 21-0
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #936
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1087798245772939265
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #937
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

maybe stop the 3rd and 10 slant pass next job
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #938
Frank MetaMusil
RANDOM USER TITLE CHANGE

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Yea cause they didn't do anything else all game to win. I know it's hard but why can't people just admit that the patriots went to Arrowhead and won that game. they held the highest scoring offense to 0 first half points and if not for a bone head decision should have been up 21-0
I actually thought Reid's bone headed decision had the Pats up 14-0 instead of just 7-0 at half time. I knew that would cost KC.

Credit to the Patriots, they made the plays they needed to. The roughing the passer call though? Just so so pillowy soft. They don't need the help like that.
Frank MetaMusil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:20 PM   #939
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
They went to Arrowhead and won. Why can't Pats fans admit had the coin toss gone the other way they'd be demanding the OT rules be changed because "the GOAT" was denied his chance? Same with that SB comeback, if it goes the other way maybe Matt Ryan salvages the worst choke ever. My whole point is despite having outplayed the Chiefs most of the game, a coin toss flipping the other way could have sent them home. That's football, it's somewhat about who is the better team, but it's also a lot about who's the luckier team. And the fact the Pats go just as easily be 9-0 or 0-9 in Super Bowls tells you that. Randomness and luck is a far greater factor in football than most sports.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #940
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post: