Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #1
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Major Awards and the Stanley Cup

Because I'm bored and looking at things, for your reading pleasure.

Players to Win Major Awards + Stanley Cup in the Same Season (Salary Cap Era)

Hart - 0*

No one. It's never happened while there's been a salary cap. The last time was St-Louis in 2004.

Art Ross -1

Evgeni Malkin, 2008-09. Malkin threw up 113 points, finished 2nd in Hart voting behind Alex Ovechkin and his 56 goals. Gino also won the Conn Smythe that year. Not a big deal.

Ted Lindsay - 0

*crickets*

Rocket Richard - 2

Alex Ovechkin, 2017-18
Sidney Crosby, 2016-17

Aside from the Calder and the Richard trophy, Alex Ovechkin's career is one "Sid did it first" after another. Fittingly, Crosby and OV are the only two players to win the Richard and the Cup since the trophy was introduced in 1998.

Another interesting statistical quirk - only one team has played in the Finals with a player who scored 50 goals that season. In 2006-07, Dany Heatley scored 50 goals while buzzsawing the league with Spezza and Alfredsson. Unfortunately, they ran into a Ducks team that had THREE 30 minute defensemen. Thanks for coming.

Lady Byng - 1 + 1*

Pavel Datsyuk, 2007-08
Brad Richards, 2003-04*

Datsyuk not only won the Lady Byng the year of Detroit's last Cup, he won it the following season as well, where Pittsburgh and the Red Wings would have a second go at it. I support a fine for the player who wins this award.

Norris - 2

Duncan Keith, 2009-10
Niklas Lidstrom, 2007-08

Of course Lidstrom has done this. Keith won his 2nd Norris the year the Hawks lost the Conference Finals to the Kings, so he nearly did it twice.

Selke - 3

2012-13, Jonathan Toews
2007-08, Pavel Datsyuk
2005-06, Rod Brind'Amour

I expected the Selke winners to do a little better than this, mostly because it's the same group of five guys who win it, and they've all won Cups. Ironically, the year Bergeron won his ring, Ryan Kesler took his Selke.

Rod Brind'Amour won a Selke in a year where teams were getting 5.85 powerplays a game. And then he beat the Oilers for his first Stanley Cup. And then he won another Selke next year, just for good measure. Hey Rod. Thanks.

Vezina - 1

Tim Thomas, 2010-11

36-11-7. 2.00 GAA 0.933 save% 9 shutouts
Playoffs: 16-9. 1.98 GAA .940 save% 4 shutouts, Conn Smythe.

Plus this.

Thanks for coming out.

Brodeur also did it in 2002-03. Beat the Ducks, lost the Conn Smythe to Giguere. Who, I believe, was the last Hartford Whaler to play in the NHL.

This isn't surprising considering awards are for regular season, but there seem to be few things worse for your Stanley Cup ambitions than a major award. Especially if you're a high-scoring forward. If you win the Vezina, odds are your team overplayed you to get where they were, and thus you didn't close the deal. The Norris and Selke seem to correlate most with players we think of when we think post-season dominance - Keith, Lidstrom, Bergeron, Kopitar etc.

I dunno. I kinda hate awards. I do love that silver mug though. Conn Smythe's legit as well, since they give it to you right there on the ice.

Carry on with your evening.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: