Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-13-2018, 11:44 PM   #121
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
I find it odd that people are complaining about Ryan's game tonight. He made a bunch of good plays. He was the puck carrier entering the zone on Monahan's PP goal. He was the guy driving to the post on Giordano's snapshot goal on the 2 on 1. He made a nice pass to Mangiapane that would have been a tap in if not for a great defensive deflection by Voracek. He made a few excellent cross-ice passes on the PP including one to Czarnik where he fanned on the one-timer.

I was really unhappy with him at the start of the year but he has grown on me. He's a smart player who plays the details of the game well. I actually really liked the look of the third line with him, Frolik and Neal. It seemed like they had some good chemistry before Frolik went down.

I don't think he's hurting the team. Obviously they are better with Backlund pushing him down the line up, but I don't mind him at all.
He had 2 particularly nice plays against Philly (good stick on the PK leading to the Gio SH goal and a nice play on one of the PPs) but he hurt the team as much as he helped yesterday. He hurt the team with his brutal giveaway to McDingleberry in the 1-0 loss to the Oilers, and he really hurt the team with his 2 brutal giveaways to the Blue Jackets.

He often hurts the team offensively because he turns the puck over more than most Flames, and it's why he should be 4th line centre and PK guy only, even with the current injury situation.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #122
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to give credit where it's due. Only 10:45 ice time for Ryan and only 43 sec of PP time. Both of which is all he really actually deserves.

Peters on this occasion actually utilized Ryan properly this time. Now that's good coaching and correct player utilization. Well done today.
The Following User Says Thank You to Karl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #123
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And if Jankowski proves to have one of his games where he doesn’t show then he’ll get benched and Ryan will get more ice time. I actually like how Peters is challenging his 3/4 centers to step up. I hope it makes them both better. Now do I hope Jankowski is the one that wins out? Sure he’s got more offensive upside. But he needs to earn it and not take games off. Like Bennett he’s not good enough to coast.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #124
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Have to give credit where it's due. Only 10:45 ice time for Ryan and only 43 sec of PP time. Both of which is all he really actually deserves.

Peters on this occasion actually utilized Ryan properly this time. Now that's good coaching and correct player utilization. Well done today.
He'll be pleased with your endorsement
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 03:36 PM   #125
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
And if Jankowski proves to have one of his games where he doesn’t show then he’ll get benched and Ryan will get more ice time. I actually like how Peters is challenging his 3/4 centers to step up. I hope it makes them both better. Now do I hope Jankowski is the one that wins out? Sure he’s got more offensive upside. But he needs to earn it and not take games off. Like Bennett he’s not good enough to coast.

I don't care who earns it. As long as it makes the Flames better then I'm happy. Quite frankly, I've been quite happy lately. They're winning. Coach is doing something good. Hard to see that though because of all the complaining about Smith, Neal, Ryan and Bennett and more. You'd think the Flames were dwindling in the basement.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #126
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
He'll be pleased with your endorsement
That doesn't really matter. All that matters is that Ryan was actually used correctly this time, as opposed to the 15+ mins he often undeservedly gets.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #127
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
That doesn't really matter. All that matters is that Ryan was actually used correctly this time.
Remind me why didn't you take the coaching job again. We sure could have used you instead of Peters. Maybe then the Flames would be among the top in the league, or at least conference...
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 03:43 PM   #128
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Remind me why didn't you take the coaching job again. We sure could have used you instead of Peters. Maybe then the Flames would be among the top in the league, or at least conference...
No because I don't have the qualifications.

I do however trust myself when it comes to Ryan being fit for no more than about 10 or 11 min of total icetime though, given that his rather ####ty offensive ability tells me he's a 4th line material player to me.

Last edited by Karl; 12-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:48 PM   #129
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ahh yes I trust the guy who finds small things to complain about Ryan while never mentioning Jankowski standing like a pylon and letting a player walk right around him to score. Fact is there really isn’t much of a difference between the two in overall quality. Ryan is better defensively, Jankowski is better offensively. What is going to make the difference in who is playing any given game is their effort and compete level. This isn’t like Monahan who can take games off and still get two goals because he knows where he needs to be to score, so go with the hot hand and hope it makes both better as they push each other.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #130
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasi View Post
Ahh yes I trust the guy who finds small things to complain about Ryan while never mentioning Jankowski standing like a pylon and letting a player walk right around him to score. Fact is there really isn’t much of a difference between the two in overall quality. Ryan is better defensively, Jankowski is better offensively. What is going to make the difference in who is playing any given game is their effort and compete level. This isn’t like Monahan who can take games off and still get two goals because he knows where he needs to be to score, so go with the hot hand and hope it makes both better as they push each other.
I'm more willing to give Janko more playing time even when he messes up because he's got more potential to get better both defensively and offensively and he's also way better at creating his own offense. Whereas Ryan is what he is: really good defensively, often a significant liability offensively.

And Ryan's a 4th line guy because of his limited offensive skill and little upside beyond that, albeit real good defensively.

But that's just me.

Last edited by Karl; 12-15-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:07 PM   #131
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I agree he’s got potential to be better. If you put the same motor in each Jankowski is a superior player. Much bigger with better physical gifts. But I see too many occasions where he doesn’t give good effort. If you just say Ryan is the 4th line center (which I agree is where he should be, behind Monahan, Backlund and Jankowski) then I feel Jankowski will just be more prone to fall back into his lackadaisical habits. I trust Peters to let them compete with each other and let that competition force them into being better players.

That’s what really makes me excited this year. Last year we were forced to play substandard players on the fourth line because our depth sucked. There was never any danger of a F. Hamilton or Lazar or even Brouwer being better than a fourth line player. Now this year we have enough depth that on any given game any of the bottom 6-7 forwards can jump up.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #132
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot of fans have the preference for the younger player. Ryan vs Jankowski is the prime example. The coach isn't looking at age when he makes the lineup.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #133
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I don't care who earns it. As long as it makes the Flames better then I'm happy. Quite frankly, I've been quite happy lately. They're winning. Coach is doing something good. Hard to see that though because of all the complaining about Smith, Neal, Ryan and Bennett and more. You'd think the Flames were dwindling in the basement.
Making a decision between winning games or their own narrative(s) is quite a conundrum for some posters.

Last edited by timbit; 12-16-2018 at 06:28 PM.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 06:10 PM   #134
redpaint
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Can we just chill and appreciate that he made an amazing dump and board play today that directly led to a goal??

He is what he is, but he responded very well today given his lack of use last game.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #135
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still really like Ryan. Maybe not so much on the PP but everywhere else, for sure
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #136
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was leery of Ryan early on but Bingo posted some stats and other info about him and I have come around.

He might not be the best offensive player, nor do I expect him to be on the third or fourth line, but he is usually excellent defensively and on the dot.

If he can continue to fill that defensive role and throw in a bit of offense, I am satisfied.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:06 PM   #137
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think he is doing a great job. I'd prefer Backlund on the second power play unit rather the Ryan, but other than that he is particularly good at puck possession starting with face offs and keeps his giveaways down.

Its quite a bonus because he is providing all that at a cap hit similar to Matt Stajan.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #138
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like 4th line Ryan played much better today than he normally does. Without Ryan's heroic work to skate it in deep and outwork 2 Blues, that Gaudreau goal doesn't happen.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #139
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I think he is doing a great job. I'd prefer Backlund on the second power play unit rather the Ryan, but other than that he is particularly good at puck possession starting with face offs and keeps his giveaways down.

Its quite a bonus because he is providing all that at a cap hit similar to Matt Stajan.
No he doesn't. He's often really bad in terms of giving the puck away in many games.

Last edited by Karl; 12-16-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:07 AM   #140
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it's worth a bump to acknowledge Derek Ryan's fine play as of late. Since he's been moved to the 4th line, I've really liked his game. He slots well there, wins 4th line match ups and has been noticeably better on both sides of the special teams. Mangiapane has been better lately, but I think an upgrade there could elevate that 4th line even further.

If he can continue this, he should provide pretty good value on that contract.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post: