Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #1061
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have a Ferland jersey! It was $40 too, got it on sale. Hey, maybe that's why he was traded...

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #1062
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like this trade.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #1063
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So much for Larry Brooks as a source. Well actually we now know that if he says something, it's likely that the complete opposite is accurate.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #1064
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I think the comments about Ferland being a UFA after next year is very telling. Treliving has been pretty good about evaluating value of players in the past and not overpaying to keep them. To wit: Colborne, Bouma, Glencross etc. They all felt they were worth more than BT was prepared to pay. They didn't take what was offered, moved on, generally with some gnashing of teeth from this board, and were out of the league within a year or so. I can't help feeling that this scenario was coming with Ferland. Huge respect for him and what he's battled, but inconsistent to a fault given his skillset. Career year last year but was invisible (like a lot of the team admittedly) halfway through the season and not heard from again. Likely would want more than BT would be willing to pay, and this trade possibly prevents losing him for nothing.

I like this trade, especially given the totality of all the information that is coming out.
What a lot of people are missing is that the Flames don't own the players, they in the contracts. We traded one year of Ferland, who will undoubtedly look for a big raise. I'm a big fan of his, but he is likely to command a 4+mil contract, which will make him an anchor to whoever signs him.

Ferland will likely get paid like a gritty second line player, and he simply is not good enough for full time top six minutes.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #1065
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Asked this in the other thread. Possible the smoke has been lingering for a while and that when Tre traded for Hamonic a year ago he thought that Hamilton would eventually be dealt?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:37 PM   #1066
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not happy.

I mean, there is no denying that both Hanifin and Lindholm are excellent pieces to obtain. They will provide this team with years of service.

I would have been slightly disappointed with just Hamilton going the other way. He still has upside as well. To add Fox to the mix, AND Ferland... quite disappointed. Ferland fills so many holes on this team, AND he still has upside. He has improved every year here. I was going to bet he hits 30 goals (or close) this upcoming season with the faster transition, while still providing the Flames with the most hits, excellent work in the corners, and pretty good defensive ability.

This was a lot to give up. I like the two pieces that the Flames acquired, but this was a lot to give up for them.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #1067
Brouhaha
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I can't say I have watched Hanifin or Lindholm play much at all as I don't watch Carolina unless they're playing the Flames. So i can't fairly assess their play by simply looking at stats. If that were the case, I'd think the Flames got hosed based on the stats put up by Hamilton and to an extent Ferland. I liked Ferland, but he was very inconsistent, to put it mildly. On many nights, he was more the invisible man that an impact player. Then he'd break out a nice pass, rip a nice goal and he would put on that dangerous thing called potential on display. Then he'd go cold again and we'd wonder what his role was on the team exactly.

Dougie Hamilton, traded 2X at his age, size, his position of RHD and with his skill set. Interesting to say the least. I do laugh at the outrage seen here by a few people . How many game threads were posted this past season with ppl absolutely ripping on Hamilton? He scored some goals, good for him. His play in his own end was inconsistent too. He was always that big D-man with skating ability, good shot, yet his overall play left much to be desired, imo. He has size but does not use it much. Too much meh in his overall play. Again, he is another player that seems to be sitting on potential; that he can do more and be a more impactful player.

Fox, I have no thoughts on him one way or the other. He was a prospect. How high end? I don't really know. If Jimmy Vesey got you a 4th rounder, what was Adam Fox really going to get you? I have not heard much noise about Fox, especially compared to what Vesey was getting before his trade to NY. I'm thinking on his own, not a whole lot.

I'm in the wait and see camp with this trade, though I am leaning more of this being a positive move for the Flames. One thing we all knew, something had to change with the Flames lineup going into a new season. Peters may have a positive impact on the team's results, that obviously remains to be seen. Now CGY has brought in 2 skilled players that Peters knows well and the Flames were comfortable acquiring, despite the cost.

I could also do with less dramatic posts from a few people, but really, it feels good that CP is back on fire. Nothing like a little controversy with player exchanges to stoke the flames and light people up.

Brouhaha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brouhaha For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:38 PM   #1068
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Ferland is also a very big hot/cold guy and a big reason the top line had long cold spells.

You can't have 1/3 guys on your top line be a streaky player. And if you moved Ferland down the lineup he cannot make an impact at all.

There is more to hockey than scoring 21 goals.
I don't remember a lot of details from last season but I'll look back after I submit this post but I don't recall Ferland dragging down Johnny and Monahan. Ferland had some bad streaks but Johnny and/or Monahan had bad streaks with or without Ferland on their line.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #1069
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
I think the comments about Ferland being a UFA after next year is very telling. Treliving has been pretty good about evaluating value of players in the past and not overpaying to keep them. To wit: Colborne, Bouma, Glencross etc. They all felt they were worth more than BT was prepared to pay. They didn't take what was offered, moved on, generally with some gnashing of teeth from this board, and were out of the league within a year or so. I can't help feeling that this scenario was coming with Ferland. Huge respect for him and what he's battled, but inconsistent to a fault given his skillset. Career year last year but was invisible (like a lot of the team admittedly) halfway through the season and not heard from again. Likely would want more than BT would be willing to pay, and this trade possibly prevents losing him for nothing.

I like this trade, especially given the totality of all the information that is coming out.
I thought we signed Bouma to a poor deal based on his one great season and then bought him out?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:39 PM   #1070
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is not a 20 goal scorer...he is a guy that scored 20 goals
Old 06-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1071
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Lindholm and Hanifin combined for a pretty OT goal.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:41 PM   #1072
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Yeah kind of hard to when there is so much negativity around the Flames and CP. But i will try.
You’re the most negative guy on the board. Sounds like a problem you can easily fix yourself.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #1073
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bradley is a joke, my distrust in him as a GM is renforced.

Hamilton League leading D Goal scorer but soft 17g 44pts.
Ferland break out year 21g 41pts
Fox debate all you want he is one of the Flames best D prospects.

Traded with a garbage team and what the team needs is a winger to play with M&G and D toughness.
What we got was.
Lindholm C yet another friggin C that has yet to hit 50pts that is an RFA and did NOT want to resign.
And Hannifan who is nowhere near the level of Hamilton and is soft.

I cant think in one area the Flames won this trade did our BP boy even get a 2019 3rd round draft pick thrown in for Fox, Nope.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:47 PM   #1074
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Noah Hanifin found out about the trade when he was in the movie theatre watching Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom with his brother.

I love this guy already

Really? He checked his phone during a movie I hate him and everyone like him.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #1075
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
No im talking about his new contract. He wants around 5 million.

Source? Because that seems excessive. The last year of his ELC he made $925,000 and scored 39 points.

Got a raise of over 3 times his previous deal and scored 45 and 44 points. Now he deserves a raise of double what he’s currently making? I don’t see it, especially since he’s restricted. 4-4.5 million seems more likely.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:49 PM   #1076
Burner
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

dont mind the trade - but just one time I would like to see us get a draft pick back. Too many draft pics have been spent on getting this team. If we had gotten a 3rd rounder back today, I would be happier
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #1077
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post

Traded with a garbage team and what the team needs is a winger to play with M&G and D toughness.
What we got was.
Lindholm C yet another friggin C that has yet to hit 50pts that is an RFA and did NOT want to resign.

I cant think in one area the Flames won this trade did our BP boy even get a 2019 3rd round draft pick thrown in for Fox, Nope.

I didn't like the trade, but seeing how much you hate it makes me kinda like it.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #1078
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I’m starting to feel better about this trade.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #1079
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post

What we got was.

There actually is no debate, it was confirmed today he was leaving the Flames after school. You could maybe get a 4th round pick for him like Vesey a couple of years ago, so not a huge deal to throw him in here to complete the trade instead.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM   #1080
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bradley?
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
tko