Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-27-2017, 11:42 AM   #21
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Whats Trumps stance on Weed? I know legalization is a liberal policy, which is weird because they're totally cool with raping and pillaging the environment for profit but they draw the line at selling pot and profiting on that?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:43 AM   #22
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
The timing is on purpose. If they legalize it sooner people will have moved on to other issues before the next election, this way it's still fresh in their mind. I'm actually surprised they didn't wait until the fall of 2018.

Will be interesting to see what the US has to say about this. Could cause border problems.
IIRC there are some treaties in place with not only the US but with European countries that will probably have to be looked at.

The US ones are serious because of the shared borders, while legalization has happened in multiple states, federally they're going to scream bloody murder about this.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Whats Trumps stance on Weed? I know legalization is a liberal policy, which is weird because they're totally cool with raping and pillaging the environment for profit but they draw the line at selling pot and profiting on that?
See who is Attorney General is for the answer (hint: Reefer Madness).
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #24
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone mentioned the driving angle already so I'll skip that, my only concern is whether it's allowed in public. My only gripe about marijuana is the smell, and I've read a lot of people say it should be allowed anywhere cigarettes are. But the smell is a lot stronger and carries more than cigarettes, if you're within 5m of the entrance of a restaurant, like you could be with a cig, that whole place is going to reek the second someone opens the door
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:44 AM   #25
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I thought that I read an interview with him where he was ok with the concept of legalization but this was before he even thought about running for president.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Which is always intriguing to me.

If someone is in jail or has a criminal record due to a Marijuana-related crime is that absolved? Are they released?
I can't imagine there are that many in prison for simple possession. Hopefully extremely close to zero. So that leaves growers, traffickers etc, all of which will still be illegal under the new laws unless done within the framework of the law, which at the time of their crime, would not have been. I don't see how you would have a case to challenge your conviction under the new law.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Someone mentioned the driving angle already so I'll skip that, my only concern is whether it's allowed in public. My only gripe about marijuana is the smell, and I've read a lot of people say it should be allowed anywhere cigarettes are. But the smell is a lot stronger and carries more than cigarettes, if you're within 5m of the entrance of a restaurant, like you could be with a cig, that whole place is going to reek the second someone opens the door
I would almost think that public consumption would have to be seriously debated because unlike smokes which have their own issues in public consumption. Grass is a mind altering substance. So do non smokers want to be walking down the street inhaling that. What if you work for a company that still has drug testing, can you defend yourself by saying, I was walking down the street and some dude was smoking dope and I inhaled by mistake?

Also would they have to mirror a public intoxication law, because you certainly can't sit in from of your building chugging on a bottle.

I would almost lean towards there being a law against public use of it unless you get some kind of license for a gathering. But cops will simply write you a fine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #28
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Will be interesting to see what the US has to say about this. Could cause border problems.
Why wouldn't someone there just get it from Alaska, California, Colorado, Maine, Massachusetts, Nevada, Oregon, or Washington? AKA the states that have it legal for recreational use.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:50 AM   #29
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I would almost think that public consumption would have to be seriously debated because unlike smokes which have their own issues in public consumption. Grass is a mind altering substance. So do non smokers want to be walking down the street inhaling that. What if you work for a company that still has drug testing, can you defend yourself by saying, I was walking down the street and some dude was smoking dope and I inhaled by mistake?

Also would they have to mirror a public intoxication law, because you certainly can't sit in from of your building chugging on a bottle.

I would almost lean towards there being a law against public use of it unless you get some kind of license for a gathering. But cops will simply write you a fine.

For sure. Something similar to drinking in public is what I'd like to see, personally
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I just look at this and think, they're going to figure this out, and pass it in a year? Good luck with that.

Old 03-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #31
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Edibles and Vaporizers will get around the smell.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #32
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Which they absolutely should get rid of. Stupid law.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 11:53 AM   #33
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

My questions is how will this affect health insurance?

Currently most providers don't cover it because it isn't approved by Health Canada and marijuana doesn't have a Drug Identification Number.

If completely legalized for recreational use, would health insurance providers then be able to say "it's available over the counter, therefore we aren't covering it" or would there be a threshold like for ibuprofen (600mg+ covered by insurance; less than 600mg then it's OTC).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:56 AM   #34
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I just look at this and think, they're going to figure this out, and pass it in a year? Good luck with that.
I believe they've already put a lot of work into this and still went with a year and a few months from now. I heard originally this was supposed to happen in spring/summer 2017.

So they were likely already faced with the "good luck with that" reality and added another year on to the date. I highly (ha!) doubt they're starting fresh right now with just one year to figure everything out.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 AM   #35
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I think the drinking in public rule to be stupid and removed, IMO applying this rule for marijuana does make sense as it can significantly affect individuals who aren't participating in it unlike cigarettes and alcohol.

EDIT: and by affect, I mean actually bring someone to the level of intoxication even if they haven't "participated". Second hand smoke isn't something to scoff at.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-27-2017 at 11:59 AM.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:58 AM   #36
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
As much as I think the drinking in public rule to be stupid and removed, IMO applying this rule for marijuana does make sense as it can affect individuals who aren't participating in it unlike cigarettes and alcohol.
Surely, you meant to say weed and cigarettes can affect individuals who aren't participating unlike alcohol, right?

Oh saw your edit.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think part of it is the want to introduce legislation this spring. It will take awhile to work it's way through the system, and they will be turning it over to the provinces so they will need time to get their part done. It also gives time for the retail side to get organized, and the producers to have a stock in place for day 1. I mean, it sounds like a long time but their are lots of steps to this.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:59 AM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As much as I think the drinking in public rule to be stupid and removed, IMO applying this rule for marijuana does make sense as it can significantly affect individuals who aren't participating in it unlike cigarettes and alcohol.

EDIT: and by affect, I mean actually bring someone to the level of intoxication even if they haven't "participated".
I guess I can stand beside my cigarette smoking friends without any ill-effects?
Old 03-27-2017, 12:00 PM   #39
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Surely, you meant to say weed and cigarettes can affect individuals who aren't participating unlike alcohol, right?

Oh saw your edit.
Poor wording on my behalf. I was talking about the DUI aspect. I wasn't trying to down play the other effects of cigarette smoke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I guess I can stand beside my cigarette smoking friends without any ill-effects?
See above. Bad wording on my behalf. Talking about inebriation/DUI aspect. But agree that second hand smoke is not something to take lightly.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:04 PM   #40
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Poor wording on my behalf. I was talking about the DUI aspect. I wasn't trying to down play the other effects of cigarette smoke.

See above. Bad wording on my behalf. Talking about inebriation/DUI aspect. But agree that second hand smoke is not something to take lightly.
Interesting. I'm not sure any significant level of intoxication can happen from second hand smoke unless in a purposely contained space (hot box).