Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #541
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Goalies are notorious for raging out of their first year pro as worldbeaters. That Rittich isn't the storied Andrew Raycroft is a little troubling.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #542
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Schneider's game has been poor for a long stretch now. You can't give up significant assets for that guy. He may not be an actual upgrade.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59 AM   #543
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The more I think about it I think we wait it out another month.

Go with 60-40 starts for Rittich and see how he handles the increased workload and if Smith can slowly find his game. If we are still struggling by December then I say try to trade a couple of prospects for Howard or Pickard.

Reevaluate in the off-season and try your shot at Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Talbot, or Lehner if none of the other options work out.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #544
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack Campbell is a interesting player to consider as well. Coming into his prime years after a troubling development curve. Looks to be doing quite well behind that Bunk kings team.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #545
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have posted this like six times in the past week, but Parson’s numbers require the benefit of added context. He has played three starts, and in each one has been demonstrably better. He won his last game, allowing 2 goals on 28 shots for a tidy 0.929 SP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still though, his first two games he let in 5 goals on 20 shots and gets pulled, and then 5 goals on 23 shots. If thats 'demonstrably better' then we have really low expectations. I'd say its marginally better at best but still bad.

Now his 3rd game yes you're right. Much much better. And given hes young, theres all kinds of potential. But he definitely has not played to the point where he'll be called up anytime soon.

I'm still high on the kid and all I was pointing out was at a time when Smith is really ####ting the bed our other goalies aren't exactly turning heads, other than Rittich.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #546
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much would the conversation be different if Gillies and/or Parsons were lighting it up in Stockton? Or even paying reasonably well?

Not sure what is happening down there but it's a shame if they are struggling as bad as their numbers suggest. There will be a job open next year and possibly before the end of this year if Smith's struggles continue...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:38 AM   #547
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can the flames actually send smith down for a conditioning stint?

To me that would be the best for everyone
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #548
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How much would the conversation be different if Gillies and/or Parsons were lighting it up in Stockton? Or even paying reasonably well?

Not sure what is happening down there but it's a shame if they are struggling as bad as their numbers suggest. There will be a job open next year and possibly before the end of this year if Smith's struggles continue...
That blueline is the worst in the entire AHL, and the results are proving it.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:40 AM   #549
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

No.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:44 AM   #550
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

6'4 Mason McDonald (34th overall, 2014 Entry Draft) has good numbers (1.95 .918) but that's with the Kansas City Mavericks of the ECHL.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #551
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

CP seems to be pretty much in agreement for once. Giving Rittich the starter job looks to be the obvious and only option right now.

Unfortunately, early in the season is the worst time to make trades in general, and goalies are extra unlikely to be available, so most likely our only options are to play Smith as a backup or bring someone up.

In a month or two we might find a team that wants to fully embrace tanking. Trading a decent goalie for a terrible one would be a good move from that angle...
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #552
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Schneider's game has been poor for a long stretch now. You can't give up significant assets for that guy. He may not be an actual upgrade.

Almost any goaltender in the league is an upgrade on Smith at this point. Schneider is one of the more interesting options out there. Kinkaid appears to have taken the starting spot, 6 million cap hit isn’t too disgusting, 3 years left isn’t too disgusting and he’s coming if an injury so you would hope his numbers should return close to his career averages (2.37/.920). Given his AAV and term left I don’t think the acquisition cost would be crippling either (or NJ would have to retain a decent portion of his cap hit). I still think letting Rittich take the ball and run with it is the better option and this point but if he falters, Smith will sewer the team’s playoff chances barring a miraculous return to form.
Old 11-09-2018, 12:02 PM   #553
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

No, but I would imagine he'd clear waivers, with his contract and record.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:08 PM   #554
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Jack Campbell is a interesting player to consider as well. Coming into his prime years after a troubling development curve. Looks to be doing quite well behind that Bunk kings team.
He would be if the Kings had any interest in moving him.

He's their #1 for the foreseeable future with Quick down.

Even if/when Quick gets back, there is no reason for the Kings to move him, absent a massive overpay.

Teams need 2 goalies these days, and a back up gets moved when he's perhaps on the verge of UFA or is otherwise non-affordable.

And that is usually after the season, unless it's a UFA on a non-contender at the deadline.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:11 PM   #555
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't understand your thinking there at all. Schneider has a 4.72 GAA and .862 save percentage in 3 games for the Devils this year and not much better stats in 3 games in the AHL. Why would you bring him in at 6m for the next 3 seasons when Rittich is outplaying him and Smith seems no more or less likely to turn his game around. At least with Smith, his contract expires this year.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #556
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No, but I would imagine he'd clear waivers, with his contract and record.
Mike Smith being sent down would save the Flames 1 million +
$4,250,000 ($3,225,000)
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #557
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I don't understand your thinking there at all. Schneider has a 4.72 GAA and .862 save percentage in 3 games for the Devils this year and not much better stats in 3 games in the AHL. Why would you bring him in at 6m for the next 3 seasons when Rittich is outplaying him and Smith seems no more or less likely to turn his game around. At least with Smith, his contract expires this year.
Let alone give away Dube and a 1st in 2019...
I'd MAYBE explore flipping Smith and a 3rd or something straight across, that's about it. But I think Schneider's best days are behind him as well.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2018, 12:15 PM   #558
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Mike Smith being sent down would save the Flames 1 million +
$4,250,000 ($3,225,000)
Yes, I know. That really wasn't what Boy Wonder was asking about. He was more asking if you can send him down without waivers (via conditioning stint). I say that, if you want him to go down, waivers isn't really a concern.

Plus, the callup (Gillies) would cost $750,00, so your savings would only be $250K.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:32 PM   #559
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Let alone give away Dube and a 1st in 2019...
I'd MAYBE explore flipping Smith and a 3rd or something straight across, that's about it. But I think Schneider's best days are behind him as well.

If Schneider was indeed worth a 1st and a Dube (he's not, LOL), we should trade Smith for a 1st and a Dube (plus presumably more). Then take those 2 firsts and the 2 Dube's (plus more) and trade them for a superb goalie.

Makin' money.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #560
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
CP seems to be pretty much in agreement for once. Giving Rittich the starter job looks to be the obvious and only option right now.

Unfortunately, early in the season is the worst time to make trades in general, and goalies are extra unlikely to be available, so most likely our only options are to play Smith as a backup or bring someone up.

In a month or two we might find a team that wants to fully embrace tanking. Trading a decent goalie for a terrible one would be a good move from that angle...
for me, here is the problem with waiting:

I don't think it will be good enough for Rittich to just steal the starter's job from Smith, because that means Smith will still be getting backup level game rotations, and I don't know if he is playing well enough to help the team make the playoffs. I don't think Smith is giving the Flames backup quality minutes right now, and if he can't get them for Calgary as a backup, Rittich might have to have a 930+ sv% to counteract it.

Smith's even strength save percentage right now is just .890, but his short handed save percentage is a lowly/abysmal .778

I don't think you can make the playoffs with a goalie playing that poorly, even if he is the backup.

Even if Rittich takes over the starter spot, the Flames STILL need to acquire a goalie in my mind.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: