Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default Flames co-owner Clay Riddell passes away

https://twitter.com/statuses/1041368356333314054

https://flamesnation.ca/2018/09/16/r...l-passes-away/

Quote:
Riddell joined the Flames ownership group in 2003. A longtime energy sector executive and a geologist by trade, he was a giant in Calgary’s oil industry – he’s arguably best known as the founder, president and CEO of Paramount Resources – and involved in a number of charitable endeavours. He was made an Officer of the Order of Canada in recognition of his volunteer and philanthropic work.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #2
Mr.Coffee
damn onions
 
Mr.Coffee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Exp:
Default

Awful and really sad.

He was an amazing person and incredibly intelligent but still quite friendly, grounded. A good man for sure. Terrible news and strange the lack of reaction here given he's one of the Flames owners.

I also understood him to be extremely philanthropic but never wanted it known. The family was huge with a lot of different charities including the Children's Hospital / Ronald McDonald House.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:06 PM   #3
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

RIP Mr. Riddell.

Not just a Flames owner, but an outstanding member of Calgary society.

He loved this City and did his best to make this a better place for everyone and unfortunately now its a little worse off for being without him.
__________________
- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:27 PM   #4
rhino
Crash and Bang Winger
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Awful and really sad.

He was an amazing person and incredibly intelligent but still quite friendly, grounded. A good man for sure. Terrible news and strange the lack of reaction here given he's one of the Flames owners.

I also understood him to be extremely philanthropic but never wanted it known. The family was huge with a lot of different charities including the Children's Hospital / Ronald McDonald House.
Strange how?? The post is a half hour old and on a Sunday. Guess some need something to complain about.
rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhino For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:33 PM   #5
Mattman
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Mattman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: You can find me in the 'dome, chilling with... #### he's gone
Exp:
Default

Don't know much about Mr. Riddell, but thank you for everything you've done for this organization and for this city. Rest in peace.
__________________
Mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #6
Manhattanboy
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: May 2004
Exp:
Default

Very sad news. I met him a few times. Alberta has lost a pioneer, philanthropist and gentleman.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #7
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get
 
Reggie Dunlop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Palm Isle
Exp:
Default

Sad news. He had recently sold his Priddis mansion, closed his restaurant and handed over corporate reins to his son.

Could be a real changing of the guard as far as Flames ownership in the next few years. Bryron Seaman is 95, Alvin Libin is 87 with Allan Markin a relative youngster at 73.

Majority owner Bruce Edwards lives overseas and seems increasingly frustrated with the lack of government cooperation in facility upgrades.
__________________
Edmonton is no good.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #8
Freeway
Franchise Player
 
Freeway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Seaman hasn't been involved in ownership since slightly after his brother passed away.
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 04:30 PM   #9
Husky
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exp:
Default

A pioneer for the O&G industry. However now that its left to his kids, yikes.

Last edited by Husky; 09-16-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 04:42 PM   #10
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Exp:
Default

Very sad. He was a great guy.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
GullFoss
Powerplay Quarterback
 
GullFoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Exp:
Default

Sad day for Calgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
A pioneer for the O&G industry. However now that its left to his kids, yikes.
Yikes indeed
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:57 PM   #12
CaptainCrunch
Norm!
 
CaptainCrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Exp:
Default

Sad day for Calgary, the various charities that he tirelessly donated to and the Calgary Flames family.


If there's a owner that should have a trophy named after him, its Clay.
__________________
Someone once asked me if I was scared of the storm
I am the Storm
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #13
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Section 307
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
A pioneer for the O&G industry. However now that its left to his kids, yikes.
My condolences to his family. I have to ask since I don't know who his kids are but why do you say yikes?.
Svartsengi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
Ashasx
Franchise Player
 
Ashasx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
My condolences to his family. I have to ask since I don't know who his kids are but why do you say yikes?.
because he doesn't know what he's talking about
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 PM   #15
EVERLAST
#1 Goaltender
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Native Calgarian
Exp:
Default

Another great owner gone who left behind quite a legacy. RIP and thanks for your passion as a hockey fan first and owner second
__________________
Myfurnaceguy.HomeStars.com
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #16
Husky
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
My condolences to his family. I have to ask since I don't know who his kids are but why do you say yikes?.

Because not a fan how they treat employees. Or the fact that his daughter is getting sued for a transaction with seqioua resources.

Last edited by Husky; 09-16-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #17
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Murph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Bonavista, Newfoundland
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Because not a fan how they treat employees. Or the fact that his daughter is getting sued for a transaction with seqioua resources.
Jesus...

A man is dead. There is a time and a place and this is not it.

Show some respect.
Murph is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #18
Tacoman
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Exp:
Default

One of the greatest Canadians in history without any exaggeration. An extremely loyal and kind man.

And for the idiots commenting on his kids, they are also wonderful people. I certainly hope the family stays involved with the Flames.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 08:52 PM   #19
FiveSeven
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Holland
Exp:
Default

Wow, that sucks!!! I was just at his house about a month ago. Just finally finished his house. Had a massive stable/house and paid massive money to have people tend to his horses and live in luxury at the same time. Very very kind family. Completely down to earth and treated everyone nice and respectfully, absolutely nothing bad to say about him.
__________________
Mark my words this is a Brouwer contract except on the backend - Parallex on signing Stone.
FiveSeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:05 PM   #20
midniteowl
First Line Centre
 
midniteowl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

RIP Mr. Riddell
__________________
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:58 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016