Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2018, 09:58 AM   #21
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was not impressed with the short teaser but that longer one has me hopeful.

^Didn't realize that was her, had to rewind it. Haha, but I concur.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:01 AM   #22
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I was really hoping she was gonna call him a scoundrel there when she said she knew what he really was.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #23
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

While the original saga is tired and over for me - these side streets into the dark and unknown corners of the star wars story are really cool. I would have preferred if Disney had just left the original saga alone - and focused exclusively on these stories.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:15 AM   #24
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Looks like they are going for a more adult theme than TLJ. The looks great, although I'm beginning to feel like Disney's abused partner with the upside and downs.
It's looking like the main trilogy movies are going to be cliched fluff, while the off-year standalones - Rogue One and now Solo - are going to be more gritty and thoughtful.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #25
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
It looks like its going to be fantastic.
It looks like it is going to be another Star Wars cash grab
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:28 AM   #26
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:48 AM   #27
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually think of the current main trilogy vs the side stories in the opposite way. while TLJ has veered off in weird directions for better or worse, the prequel stories like Rogue One and Solo are going to be the comfort food for nostalgia cravers.

just like Rogue One was full of "hey remember this??" moments like cantina buttface guy, R2D2/3PO, comic book Vader, and dead-eyed recreations of deceased actors, guaranteed that Solo is going to have plenty of Greedo, kessel run, hutt gangsters and gambling to pander to original trilogy fans. not necessarily a bad thing, but this is most definitely not where the innovation in the Star Wars universe is happening.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 10:58 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will they shoe horn Boba Fett in?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:03 AM   #29
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I actually think of the current main trilogy vs the side stories in the opposite way. while TLJ has veered off in weird directions for better or worse, the prequel stories like Rogue One and Solo are going to be the comfort food for nostalgia cravers.

just like Rogue One was full of "hey remember this??" moments like cantina buttface guy, R2D2/3PO, comic book Vader, and dead-eyed recreations of deceased actors, guaranteed that Solo is going to have plenty of Greedo, kessel run, hutt gangsters and gambling to pander to original trilogy fans. not necessarily a bad thing, but this is most definitely not where the innovation in the Star Wars universe is happening.
It's definitely a situation where Rogue One was aimed more at an older audience, who tend to long-time fans. TLJ was definitely more of a family friendly movie designed for people who were not going to delve as deep into the logic of the movie or its place in the existing Star Wars universe.

I guess it depends on your idea of "innovation" is.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:04 AM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Will they shoe horn Boba Fett in?
He'll probably be the big two minute cameo in this movie, basically the Darth Vader of the film.

What we will learn is that Han has a third traveling companion a female Wookie named Hotbacca. During a fire fight Bobba shoots her with the Disintegrater 9000 gun turning her into ash, which leads to the no disintegration line in ESB.

This of course leads to Bobba a Star Wars story.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:06 AM   #31
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He'll probably be the big two minute cameo in this movie, basically the Darth Vader of the film.

What we will learn is that Han has a third traveling companion a female Wookie named Hotbacca. During a fire fight Bobba shoots her with the Disintegrater 9000 gun turning her into ash, which leads to the no disintegration line in ESB.

This of course leads to Bobba a Star Wars story.
Keep your fanfic furry fantasies out of here!

Also, it's Boba, not Bobba. You of all people should know this.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:16 AM   #32
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What I'm looking forward to.

I mean, you can have a bunch of the main and semi main characters getting movies

Sheev a Star Wars story - Follow the rise of city Councillor Sheev Palpatine as he argues for a vote of no against the Gungan gambling proposition. Little does anyone know that he's a Sith City Councillor.

Vader a Star Wars story - Well actually this one could be cool as it could take place in the weeks following ROTS as Vader learns to be a Sith and slaughters a lot of people.

Obi-Wan a Star Wars Story - Follow Obi-Wan as he hangs out in his desert home hiding from the Empire, watching Luke from afar and talking to no-one because he's a hermit, but he talks to himself and he might go crazy when he gets an unexpected room mate.

Mace Windu a Star Wars Story- As he falls 600 stories to his death Mace see's flashbacks around his life choices and the woman that he loved and lost (rated X for swearing)

Jar Jar a Star Wars story - Follow the journey of a inexperienced Senator from Naboo as he navigates through the halls of power on Coruscant, and helps Senator Palpatine by being brave enough to vote for emergency power. Then see what happens to Jar Jar after the Imperial Senate is disbanded and he ends up living in a bathroom with his son while he tries to find a jerb.

Max Rebo a Star Wars Story - Follow this musical biopic as we follow the amazing life of Max Rebo as he forms a band and rises to the top before a devestating spice addiction sends him spiraling out of control and leaves him paying back water gigs on planets like Tattoine. Then marvel as he gets clean and gets on the road to a comeback being invited to play at the palace on Alderaan . . .

The story lines are endless, these movies could go for a thousand years.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:27 AM   #33
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I mean, you can have a bunch of the main and semi main characters getting movies

Sheev a Star Wars story - Follow the rise of city Councillor Sheev Palpatine as he argues for a vote of no against the Gungan gambling proposition. Little does anyone know that he's a Sith City Councillor.

Vader a Star Wars story - Well actually this one could be cool as it could take place in the weeks following ROTS as Vader learns to be a Sith and slaughters a lot of people.

Obi-Wan a Star Wars Story - Follow Obi-Wan as he hangs out in his desert home hiding from the Empire, watching Luke from afar and talking to no-one because he's a hermit, but he talks to himself and he might go crazy when he gets an unexpected room mate.

Mace Windu a Star Wars Story- As he falls 600 stories to his death Mace see's flashbacks around his life choices and the woman that he loved and lost (rated X for swearing)

Jar Jar a Star Wars story - Follow the journey of a inexperienced Senator from Naboo as he navigates through the halls of power on Coruscant, and helps Senator Palpatine by being brave enough to vote for emergency power. Then see what happens to Jar Jar after the Imperial Senate is disbanded and he ends up living in a bathroom with his son while he tries to find a jerb.

Max Rebo a Star Wars Story - Follow this musical biopic as we follow the amazing life of Max Rebo as he forms a band and rises to the top before a devestating spice addiction sends him spiraling out of control and leaves him paying back water gigs on planets like Tattoine. Then marvel as he gets clean and gets on the road to a comeback being invited to play at the palace on Alderaan . . .

In all seriousness, you could put together an awesome movie from his exploits in the Clone Wars. It might be a bit awkward canon-wise because of the animated series that exists, but I think you could respect canon and expand a bit on his adventures and make a kick ass movie. You even have a built in love-story with duchess whatshername.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:28 AM   #34
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Personally looking forward to the R2D2 story which has a script full of computer noise and blinking lights for 2 hours - and explains how all Jedi power emanates from R2.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:31 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Star Wars Chicken's already done a mini movie about the interrogation droid from a New Hope.

Doctor Ball a Star Wars Story

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 AM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I guess it depends on your idea of "innovation" is.
is it innovative to have a new writer/director come in during the middle of a trilogy and actively work to undermine everything that the first movie had tried to set up? it's definitely a new approach to things, that much is certain.

I would have given Rian Johnson one of these prequel one-offs instead, where he could be all experimental in a sandbox without making the job of his successor for the next movie like 5x harder. whatever his storytelling compulsions, he's at least got an eye for making things look interesting on camera some of the time.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
is it innovative to have a new writer/director come in during the middle of a trilogy and actively work to undermine everything that the first movie had tried to set up? it's definitely a new approach to things, that much is certain.

I would have given Rian Johnson one of these prequel one-offs instead, where he could be all experimental in a sandbox without making the job of his successor for the next movie like 5x harder. whatever his storytelling compulsions, he's at least got an eye for making things look interesting on camera some of the time.
Rian Johnson is clearly capable of making fantastic Sci-Fi. He can do both comedy and grittier stuff. There must have been a direction from the studio to make things lighter in TLJ than they were in TFA. I can see him getting a memo stating he has to have X amount quips/ scene.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:09 PM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

yes, my young apprentice, feel the force of the cash pulsing thru your bank account, you will

Quote:

Old 02-05-2018, 12:20 PM   #39
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

The response to this trailer has been overwhelmingly positive so far, which surprises me because I think it looks like pure trash.

It looks like a Marvel movie, which is a problem for me because I hate the Marvel movies.

It's just a trailer so I'm not writing it off yet, but I'm not overly excited for it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #40
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote