Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #3881
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
This team has no identity in so many different ways. Are they skilled? No. Fast? No. Tough? No. With the loss of the Sedins, there are no leaders.

Then look at their jerseys. What are their team colours? Blue/green? Navy/red/grey? Black/yellow/red? Maroon/cream? Navy/red?

And what exactly is their logo anyways?

There are so many ways that this team only barely meets the definition of 'team'.
The leaders part tends to solve itself with the Sedins leaving, in fact I suspect a lot of the Canucks problems will start to solve themselves with that, the team has been a mirror of the Sedins, great players and class acts they are they have always been neither fast nor tough nor particularly 'intense' and the Canucks have been a reflection of that.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #3882
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Old 09-06-2018, 02:48 PM   #3883
hockeyhuman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
The leaders part tends to solve itself with the Sedins leaving, in fact I suspect a lot of the Canucks problems will start to solve themselves with that, the team has been a mirror of the Sedins, great players and class acts they are they have always been neither fast nor tough nor particularly 'intense' and the Canucks have been a reflection of that.

Except that they've pretty much carried whatever their team is for the last long while. It'll prob take a loooooonnngggg time to rebuild (I HOPE!!!!!!!)
hockeyhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #3884
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Wut?

The Canucks do not have a reputation for being "class acts". The Sedins were seen as divers. The team frequently employed pests that refused to back up their antics. They became the most hated team in the league during their cup run...so hated people were cheering for Marchand.

https://theprovince.com/sports/why-a...team-in-hockey

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...anucks/#slide5

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...article582541/

The team, at it's height and since, had Burrows, Kesler, Torres, Lapierre, Rome, Glass, Kassian, etc.. on the roster.

Not sure how the rioting fans fit into the image of "class act" either.

The Canucks and their fans were seen as one of the least classy teams in the history of professional sports....
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #3885
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

That 2009-2012 Canucks team remains to this day the team I have hated the most in my life. The arrogance of the fan base was unbearable and they had so many players that were easy to hate. Gillis came across as the most pompous ####### going as well.

There pathetic team and bumbling GM are exactly what they deserve right now
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:48 PM   #3886
BigBird
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Wut?

The Canucks do not have a reputation for being "class acts". The Sedins were seen as divers. The team frequently employed pests that refused to back up their antics. They became the most hated team in the league during their cup run...so hated people were cheering for Marchand.

The team, at it's height and since, had Burrows, Kesler, Torres, Lapierre, Rome, Glass, Kassian, etc.. on the roster.

The Canucks and their fans were seen as one of the least classy teams in the history of professional sports....

I think it was mainly Calgary fans that hated that team. Sedins have always been a class act IMO.
BigBird is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigBird For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #3887
---Hatrick---
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird View Post
I think it was mainly Calgary fans that hated that team. Sedins have always been a class act IMO.
Boston fans say hello
Old 09-06-2018, 11:28 PM   #3888
monkeyman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
I think that picture is awesome, but I'm a little bit country.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:35 PM   #3889
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
FWIW, in SW Ontario I remember the bar we watched Game 7 at was pretty close to 50-50 Boston-Vancouver fans.

In 2006 I was on my own cheering against the Canadian team. The Hurricanes were also a tough sell, but there wasn't much hate for Edmonton in 2006.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:20 AM   #3890
hockeyhuman
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
That 2009-2012 Canucks team remains to this day the team I have hated the most in my life. The arrogance of the fan base was unbearable and they had so many players that were easy to hate. Gillis came across as the most pompous ####### going as well.

I SO AGREE! Worst fan base. And then when Kesler was there that was especially annoying. They definitely deserve to suck right now and I hope they do for a looooong time.
hockeyhuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #3891
stemit14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

Oh how I hated that team. I donít know if Iíll ever hate a team as much as I hated that team (although Edmonton is getting close).

I also think that Canucks team changed the game itself in the worst possible way... I think their cup run sparked the marked increase in diving in the NHL. Iíve never seen a team dive their way to so many power plays in my life over those seasons. I think the league has a serious problem with diving today because that team found success with it and it spread like a disease across the NHL. For shame on them and their fans for what they have done to the game.

I know their has been some embellishment before them but never to the level they took it to. I could go on and on citing specific cases from them but it disgusts me to even think about it. I took so much joy in watching them lose to Boston in the cup finals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:14 PM   #3892
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wut?

Being a huge and unrepentant Lance Armstrong fan I don't view how a player plays as indicative of their character as a person (although sometimes it is obviously), the Sedin's were, as men, not hockey players, quiet unassuming massively generous citizens, they never got into trouble, there were no stories of them ho'ing their way through the Roxy or getting into drunken bar fights. They worked tirelessly for Canucks Place, donated huge sums of money to children's hospital and in every respect were model human beings as far as we can see.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:52 PM   #3893
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Being a huge and unrepentant Lance Armstrong fan I don't view how a player plays as indicative of their character as a person (although sometimes it is obviously), the Sedin's were, as men, not hockey players, quiet unassuming massively generous citizens, they never got into trouble, there were no stories of them ho'ing their way through the Roxy or getting into drunken bar fights. They worked tirelessly for Canucks Place, donated huge sums of money to children's hospital and in every respect were model human beings as far as we can see.
I agree. I do think that the diving thing did tarnish their reputation though. I do agree that overall, they were seen as classy (yet odd) people. My comment was more to do with the team as a whole being described as "classy".

And no, it wasn't just Calgary fans who though that the Canucks weren't playing with class. The articles point to how the hockey market, as a whole, saw them.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 04:02 PM   #3894
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree. I do think that the diving thing did tarnish their reputation though. I do agree that overall, they were seen as classy (yet odd) people. My comment was more to do with the team as a whole being described as "classy".

And no, it wasn't just Calgary fans who though that the Canucks weren't playing with class. The articles point to how the hockey market, as a whole, saw them.
I've been in skates 3 times in my life, football (association) is my game so I'm more used to diving than most, it is difficult for me to see it through Canadian eyes.

It is, to me, a logical part of trying to gain an advantage.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #3895
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Norm McDonald hates the Vancouver Canucks

Quote:
“I would love to see any Canadian team win, except Vancouver,” said Macdonald. “I don’t know why I dislike them so much. I think when they first came out they got on my wrong side because their logo was a ****ing hockey stick and that drove me crazy.”
Story
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:58 PM   #3896
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
WUT? That was likely the most universally hated hockey team in NHL history (Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows)

Sedins are a class act in the community and their personal lives but thats about it

Marchand punching a Sedin in the face 100 times was the hockey meme of the year

Last edited by dino7c; 09-18-2018 at 10:00 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 PM   #3897
Macindoc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I've been in skates 3 times in my life, football (association) is my game so I'm more used to diving than most, it is difficult for me to see it through Canadian eyes.

It is, to me, a logical part of trying to gain an advantage.
So you would respect a receiver diving even if he was not touched in order to draw an illegal contact penalty? Or whipping his head around intentionally while being tackled to draw a facemask penalty? Or what about my favourite, the punter intentionally diving or shifting his body to land on a player who was trying to block a punt?

I absolutely hate those moves in football.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 01:07 PM   #3898
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
So you would respect a receiver diving even if he was not touched in order to draw an illegal contact penalty? Or whipping his head around intentionally while being tackled to draw a facemask penalty? Or what about my favourite, the punter intentionally diving or shifting his body to land on a player who was trying to block a punt?

I absolutely hate those moves in football.
ErÖ not football. Football. The one you play with your feet, and collapse like you've been shot if somebody looks at you wrong.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:44 PM   #3899
Macindoc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
ErÖ not football. Football. The one you play with your feet, and collapse like you've been shot if somebody looks at you wrong.
Oops, got it, the land sport that should have been called diving.

Meanwhile, we somehow ended up calling a game played with the hands "football".
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #3900
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Meanwhile, we somehow ended up calling a game played with the hands "football".
"Handegg" wasn't deemed 'macho' enough.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote