Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #1861
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd take it out, cut the entire opening to a square(it will be bigger than your 5" vent, but square), then get some trim to fill in the gaps.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #1862
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can you not:

a) Weight the flap (usually use magnet or scrap metal+foil tape) so it doesn't blow in the wind as easily

and

b) Mesh the exterior to prevent entry? New vent alone wouldn't solve your problem if culprit can still get in?

I suggest this "lazy" route because replacing it and redoing the exterior is likely going to be a bigger task than expected for the equal result as the above. I'd recommend redoing the exhaust when your'e replacing the fan and potentially kitchen.

But as Fuzz mentioned, if you do go ahead with it, you can likely Frankenstein some vinyl siding trim pieces to work. I think the large squares they trim out exterior lights might fit the bill.

Key (and toughest part) is ensuring the integrity of the waterproofing envelope behind the siding, which can be tough with patch jobs.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #1863
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks gents!

I was about to pop in here and report that I think I'm just going to attach a mesh to it, but I'm not seeing a solution to the flapping.

There's a resistance to lifting the flap already, and I'm worried that any resistance from a magnet will close it permanently. That idea has the the most legs though as there's not much room to attach some elastic or something to create tension.

Great to hear about the 5" covering this whole opening. I guess the 5" is a lot larger than I thought, which is great. We're going to be painting this house, so that'll be my new plan to replacing it.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:58 PM   #1864
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Anyone within the CP community an electrician by chance? Looking to snag about 1hr of time from someone to assist with checking out some wiring in my basement.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #1865
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am but I don't do house calls anymore, if you have pictures of the issues in question I can help you out.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #1866
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have those pre-formed concrete steps leading to our front door like you see in most of the suburbs these days. The steps are worn and smooth. So smooth that they are slipper AF in the winter.

Before we start getting snow again, can anyone recommend a product or treatment to make them less slippery? I was thinking there had to be a gritty coating that could be applied or something like that...
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 04:46 PM   #1867
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This works great, did mine a few years ago:

https://www.rona.ca/en/coating---sto...-stone-coating

You need the sealer as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:48 PM   #1868
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We are looking to get our sump pump replaced and are wondering if anyone has recommendations for a company to go with for this? Aside from Basement Systems.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 09:10 PM   #1869
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
We are looking to get our sump pump replaced and are wondering if anyone has recommendations for a company to go with for this? Aside from Basement Systems.
Is the sump fine? If so, a DIY replacement of a sump pump is easy.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:50 PM   #1870
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Does anyone know if there's such a thing as 'soft-close' hinges for interior doors?

I swear I had experienced some in a few show homes recently, but all I can find on google is either cabinet hinges or ugly, commercial-looking box-with-an-arm thingys... We have a baby arriving soon and older kids that haven't quite mastered the delicate art of quietly closing doors... TIA

Last edited by you&me; 09-05-2018 at 03:54 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #1871
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.v...001028003.html
Old 09-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #1872
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I had seen that but I think it might work more similarly to what you'd see on an old-school screen door to keep them closed... My childhood memories of our screen door slamming shut tell me that would create the opposite affect of what I'm after LOL.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #1873
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has "Adjustable Closing tension" so might be workable. My screen doors don't slam, because I've adjusted them!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:05 AM   #1874
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Has anyone replaced a garage door opener? Is it easy to do as a DIY? I'd like to replace with a belt (current one is a chain) as I hear they are much quieter
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:15 AM   #1875
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, you can DIY it, but you will probably want to check spring tension first. You can adjust spring tension yourself, but it can be very dangerous so if you aren't confident on that you should have that done. To check spring tension, unlock the door from the drive using the release above, then lift the door by hand to about midway. It should stay there. If it rises or closes, you need it adjusted. Look for a youtube video if you want clarification.

If you have the extra money, and power nearby, get this guy:

https://www.amazon.ca/LiftMaster-850...f=pd_sim_60_2?

Super quite, easy to install and you can regain above door space if you want to put some storage there. Just make sure you have about a foot beside the door for it, and the rod needs to have I think, 1.5" bar sticking out, but check the manual on that. If not you can have the bar moved slightly when the spring is adjusted.

Last edited by Fuzz; 09-06-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #1876
d00little
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I bought a house and the basement windows have been dug out and lined with wood, both the sides and bottom. Do I need to do anything to the wood in order to take care of it?
d00little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #1877
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Does $250 seem right for cleaning out all the gutters on a house? It's a big house and a walkout basement so it involves getting up on the roof (or longer than 30' ladders), so don't want to do it myself.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:55 PM   #1878
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Does $250 seem right for cleaning out all the gutters on a house? It's a big house and a walkout basement so it involves getting up on the roof (or longer than 30' ladders), so don't want to do it myself.
That's probably what I'd expect from your description. I don't think you'd find much better than that price.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TopChed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #1879
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have we got a preferred plumber here on CP? I have a toilet with some issues and it must be connected to a shower/sink as well. I plunged it a lot, used an auger and am just not cracking it. I did find a pair of tweezers which had been down there for who knows how long, but rather than have my basement suffer a sewer backup it might be time for a professional!

Anyway....if you can recommend someone that would be a great start!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 10:33 AM   #1880
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
Anyone within the CP community an electrician by chance? Looking to snag about 1hr of time from someone to assist with checking out some wiring in my basement.
Will tag on here, also looking for an electrician for about a 1hr worth of work, just to run some wiring from a Ring security camera
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote