Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #41
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

^^^So are you saying you are switching to wind?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #42
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Day one on Wind and I'm loving it.

Seriously though, walked in yesterday, got the G III and waked out with an unlimited plan+US calling and text for 50 bucks, saving myself 12/month compared to rogers.

Phone only cost $299 up front, and if I keep it for a couple years, will have it paid off on the WindTab thing, which I'm cool with.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #43
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope the next iPhone is aws, not that I would get it but a lot of iPhone customers from the big three would come over.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 06-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #44
Shasta Beast
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post

Seriously though, walked in yesterday, got the G III and waked out with an unlimited plan+US calling and text for 50 bucks, saving myself 12/month compared to rogers.

Phone only cost $299 up front, and if I keep it for a couple years, will have it paid off on the WindTab thing, which I'm cool with.
So under windtab is it just your plan (+10% of that plan) a month? Or do you just pay your plan price and 10% of what you pay goes towards your plan? Either way seems like a way better deal, just confused on what I'll actually be paying.

Was recently pondering buying a galaxy s2 or something straight up for 300 and going to wind or mobilicity, but with windtab I might as well get an S3 lol.
Shasta Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife does NOT enjoy my wind.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pretty sure I'm switching to these guys after I get back home. Tired of Rogers and its overall incompetency.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #47
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Any of you have any difficulties porting over? I just picked up an S3 with Wind and ported my old number over from Koodo. Wind originally gave me a temp number so the phone was working right away and everything was working great. A few hours later my old koodo number was ported over and I can receive/send phone calls and simple text messages, but don't have any data access (no web pages work - no 3g symbol) and when my wife sends me a text with a photo attached I get an error message stating:

"For info on MMS go to koodomobile.com/bb"

I've called into Wind and they said it takes 48 hours for it to fully be ported... but it just seems kind of weird to me in my complete and utter ignorance of the whole deal.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:23 AM   #48
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Yeah, I had a dead time with data access yesterday morning, even though my number ported over about 3 hrs after activation.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:23 AM   #49
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
I really hope the next iPhone is aws, not that I would get it but a lot of iPhone customers from the big three would come over.
same.....but i think the chances are lower now that t-mobile is dealing spectrums since they would be the main reason why iphone would come out with aws comparability.......
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:40 AM   #50
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shasta Beast View Post
So under windtab is it just your plan (+10% of that plan) a month? Or do you just pay your plan price and 10% of what you pay goes towards your plan? Either way seems like a way better deal, just confused on what I'll actually be paying.
They apply 10% of your payment to the WindTab and the balance owing slowly decreases. If you stay for three years, the entire WindTab is forgiven, regardless of the balance.

Ex. $300 Phone, $30/mth Plan.

After one month, you owe $297.
After one years you owe $264.
After two years you owe $228.
After three years you would owe $192 but the WindTab is forgiven.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #51
WilsonFourTwo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post
Any of you have any difficulties porting over? I just picked up an S3 with Wind and ported my old number over from Koodo. Wind originally gave me a temp number so the phone was working right away and everything was working great. A few hours later my old koodo number was ported over and I can receive/send phone calls and simple text messages, but don't have any data access (no web pages work - no 3g symbol) and when my wife sends me a text with a photo attached I get an error message stating:

"For info on MMS go to koodomobile.com/bb"

I've called into Wind and they said it takes 48 hours for it to fully be ported... but it just seems kind of weird to me in my complete and utter ignorance of the whole deal.
That sounds entirely appropriate, yes. Even having a landline ported (Telus to Shaw for example) takes a few days. A couple of days seems perfectly normal.

WilsonFourTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WilsonFourTwo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #52
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can someone recommend a phone that Wind has just to be used for phone calls and texting? Doesn't need to be a smartphone with bells and whistles, just a decent everyday phone that'll last a year or two.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 10:11 PM   #53
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I think they have a basic Nokia phone in the store - pretty sure I saw one in there on friday.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #54
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Here's a good coverage map for Wind. It shows cell tower locations and signal strength in various parts of the city. It's quite accurate from the few tests i've done.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php

The map defaults to florida for some reason but works if you zoom in on Calgary, Vancouver etc.

I hope you don't live in Woodbine.

Last edited by stampsx2; 07-03-2012 at 07:47 PM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM   #55
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Here's a good coverage map for Wind. It shows cell tower locations and signal strength in various parts of the city. It's quite accurate from the few tests i've done.

http://www.coveragemapper.com/windmap.php

The map defaults to florida for some reason but works if you zoom in on Calgary, Vancouver etc.

I hope you don't live in Woodbine.
I have no idea why but I can't get any coverage at both Phoenix Comics. One on 16 Ave NW and one on 17 Ave SW. I get coverage fine until i walk into the store. It must be Zatanna with her spell "On llec senohp dewolla!"
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #56
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post

Hold the phone... unlimited WITH us calling/text??? Is it like, 30 texts a month to the usa???? I have got to check this out.

My contract is expiring this summer, but I really want the iPhone 5 :/
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #57
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

any updates? they pushed out back-to-school plans same $40 unlimited but free voicemail included, really tempted to jump to them and get a samsung galaxy S3
Old 08-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #58
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
any updates? they pushed out back-to-school plans same $40 unlimited but free voicemail included, really tempted to jump to them and get a samsung galaxy S3
Do it.

Don't know how many "updates" there would be.. go through this thread, search for similar topics, understand the draw backs of going with a smaller network and then get that gorgeous phone on an greatly priced deal.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #59
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

secol that's exactly what I did... I bought a Galaxy S3 through Wind in late June (had a generic flip phone before that with Koodo) and I have nothing negative to say about Wind.

As long as your primarily in Calgary you won't have any major reception problems.

No sign up fees, no cancellation fees, my first monthly bill was exactly the amount they said it would be. Porting a number over from Koodo was relatively easy and was up and running immediately with a temporary number and a few hours later with my original ported number.

If you're not traveling out of their main coverage zone much, I don't know why anyone would go with a different provider. Even if you do travel outside their zones you'll switch to "Wind Away network" (Rogers network) and texts and phone on their network are reasonably priced.... just ensure data roaming is turned off.

You also get 14 days free to evaluate their coverage/phone/plan so it's really a no brainer.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #60
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

yeah i just don't want to get the S3 since i would have to unlock it (although i hear it's not too hard) to switch and the carrier i'm on (fido) doesn't carry the S3, but i'm probably going to take the plunge this month

on a dirt cheap plan with unlimited text and no data right now just been waiting for a good deal to come out but was really hoping to hear some iphone news before i signed up