Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2018, 09:30 AM   #1701
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Not true . Ban all dogs... #### em. Back in the day when we relied on dogs for hunting and security of a tribe it made sense. There is literally no good reason for dogs to exist in todays society unless your a cop or service dog.

I use to be 100% pro dog untill I got attacked a few times 3 x by german shepherds and 1 time by a lasa apso. One of the times a German shepherd that was a rescue jumped his fence and took a good chunk out of my arm .
The lasa apso I must of walked past 30 times untill the one time he was with a dog walker and I was walking past it and it grabbed my Achilles tendon and severed it.

#### dogs now I trust non of those little ####ers.
Thats not a very laissez-faire Vancouver Island attitude...what, did they steal your Kale salad?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 09:33 AM   #1702
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I have a rescue that is part Pit Bull. She is the best dog I've ever had. She loves people and kids and is submissive to everyone. I can't imagine not having her in my life because of a Pit Bull ban.
Breed bans have a grandfather clause. Nobody would take your pit bull away. But it would be the last one you'd have.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #1703
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
....I use to be 100% pro dog untill I got attacked a few times 3 x by german shepherds and 1 time by a lasa apso. One of the times a German shepherd that was a rescue jumped his fence and took a good chunk out of my arm .
The lasa apso I must of walked past 30 times untill the one time he was with a dog walker and I was walking past it and it grabbed my Achilles tendon and severed it....
wow, that seems like some crazy bad luck. I on the other hand have been bitten once when i was about 7 yrs old. When I had a paper route back int eh day, I had a few dogs that scared me, so i would leave the paper in fence or something.

my parents had a family friend that was a mailman, he would carry dog treats with him to help win over dogs. I never thought of that when i was delivering papers.

personally i am ambivalent towards dogs. i just find it really annoying when dogs are barking randomly in the neighborhood and then the owner yells at them to shut up.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #1704
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu29 View Post
Gonna go out on a limb here, but I’m guessing that if you need medical treatment from a doctor for a dog bite it’s probably somewhat serious.
Any kind of dog bite is considered serious because of the high chance of infection. My dog bit one of my fingers (long story but my dog was trying to swallow one of those silicone basting brushes and I reached down his mouth to pull it out) requiring stitches and I was fast tracked ahead of everyone in emergency because it was a bite.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:24 PM   #1705
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There are dozens of reasons, specific uses and benefits of dog ownership. Sorry a Llasa snapped your Achilles and I get why you have your opinion. But you're not right about dogs having no purpose nor in a world full of nail guns, hammers, cars, planes and jet ski's is your logic correct.
Sorry, what? I love dogs but he does make an interesting and valid point that they really do serve no purpose for the most part. Nail guns, hammers, cars, and planes certainly do. And jet ski's don't bite people.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM   #1706
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is literally no good reason for dogs to exist in todays society .
Ya, companionship and home security is for suckers.......
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #1707
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Using a dog for home security seems to be counter-productive to reducing dog violence.

The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #1708
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well even a small yappy dog will cause a commotion and alert the owner, maybe neighbour.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #1709
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\Precisely....not sure why violence is the first thing to think of.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 04:06 PM   #1710
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
/\/\Precisely....not sure why violence is the first thing to think of.
Fair enough. I didn't think about the barking as security. When I visit my folks I always forget their dog gets up at 4am specifically to bark at the paper boy. Every freaking day.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:22 PM   #1711
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Using a dog for home security seems to be counter-productive to reducing dog violence.
Not really. It’s not about having a dog that will attack intruders, it’s about something that will prevent them from taking a chance on the house in the first place. If you’re a burglar and you hear a dog barking on the other side of the door you’re probably moving on. I have a big dog, but he wouldn’t hurt a fly. If someone broke into my house he’d be more likely to greet them with a hug than a bite. But if you open my door and see that beast sitting there, you’d have to be an idiot not to move on to the next house.

You also probably sleep better knowing no one is coming close to your house without you knowing about it. I know I do.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #1712
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps instead of banning Pit Bulls we should treat them like we treat guns and enforce mandatory special training and special licencing to keep the owner of the dog responsible and accountable.
If we did as you have suggested here, your dog would be classified as prohibited and you'd have 30 or so days to turn it over for destruction or face criminal charges.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:12 PM   #1713
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Not really. It’s not about having a dog that will attack intruders, it’s about something that will prevent them from taking a chance on the house in the first place. If you’re a burglar and you hear a dog barking on the other side of the door you’re probably moving on. I have a big dog, but he wouldn’t hurt a fly. If someone broke into my house he’d be more likely to greet them with a hug than a bite. But if you open my door and see that beast sitting there, you’d have to be an idiot not to move on to the next house.

You also probably sleep better knowing no one is coming close to your house without you knowing about it. I know I do.
Agreed 100%. My wife stayed at home with our new born while I worked long hours and occasionally out of town. During those times she felt a little unsettled by me not being there. The odd minor back yard/garage prowling didn't help at all. She was not a fan of getting a dog, but after an uncomfortable situation with a couple of drunk guys in fishcreek while taking our daughter out on a stroll we decided to get a dog. We got a German Shepard because we both had them growing up. Like your dog, she is all bark, no bite. The backyard/garage visits went to zero. She could walk anywhere she chooses with confidence. A night time burglary won't happen. That being said, training is a must. Dogs still have a purpose, and are a great addition to a family.
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 AM   #1714
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Well even a small yappy dog will cause a commotion and alert the owner, maybe neighbour.
Not if the dogs already yappy all the time .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 AM   #1715
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats why I have a home security system . Motion detect sensor cameras out side that alert me on my phone . Sensors on all my windows and doors that can be set for when Im in my house and additional sensors for when Im not like air pressure etc...

All that cost me less than keeping a dog alive and well. I also don't have to worry abouy my schedule revolving around a dogs either.

Like I daid outside of being a cop or service dog there is no real need to own a dog. Compaionship seems like a weak excuse. I have friends and live with my girlfriend.

If I want something that I need to feed, bath , clean up its ####/other messes /schedule my life around I'll just pump out a kid. Its almost the same thing for the first 15 years lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 02:21 AM   #1716
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Thats not a very laissez-faire Vancouver Island attitude...what, did they steal your Kale salad?
Lol Im originally from Etzikom Alberta.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 AM   #1717
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Lol Im originally from Etzikom Alberta.
Gazuntite.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 AM   #1718
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Sorry, what? I love dogs but he does make an interesting and valid point that they really do serve no purpose for the most part. Nail guns, hammers, cars, and planes certainly do. And jet ski's don't bite people.
He makes a terrible point. Dogs have dozens of "uses". They literally save lives every day just by existing in their "useless" state. They may not warn of impending hyena attacks. But their instinct to live with us as companions is invaluable and irreplaceable. Jet skis are fun but notorious ankle breakers. Vending machines are useful but kill more people than sharks and dogs combined. Suggesting we should ban dogs cause they bite at a rate of zero significance it not good thinkin in my opinion. You'd save way more lives and limbs banning area rugs, televisions and blankets.

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 09-19-2018 at 07:41 AM.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:32 AM   #1719
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
If we did as you have suggested here, your dog would be classified as prohibited and you'd have 30 or so days to turn it over for destruction or face criminal charges.
Or...I would have to take breed specific training classes and a special license (which I would do), as I stated in the bit you quoted.

In terms of the "use" of dogs (which is a silly argument but here goes): There is evidence to suggest that dogs were the first creature to be domesticated by humans and truly are, in the evolutionary sense, man's best friend. Dogs have been used for hunting, herding, protection and companionship. In fact, when humans were still primarily hunter-gatherers it may have been our relationship with dogs that allowed us to go from being a relatively weak but clever hominid to the dominant species on the planet.

In my personal experience, I find dogs give their owners exactly what they need, as long as you are paying attention. For instance, if you are a nervous person your dog will mirror your behavior and have a more nervous disposition than it would otherwise. If you are too excitable it will encourage your dog to be more excitable. If you are a couch potato your dog will likely get fat and unhealthy. Dogs tend to mirror who we are because they are so in tune with their people. So, when your dog's personality is not what you'd like it to be it's a good opportunity to change yourself first. Dogs are a great potential Zen tool.

Last edited by Red Slinger; 09-19-2018 at 07:49 AM.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:15 AM   #1720
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Or...I would have to take breed specific training classes and a special license (which I would do), as I stated in the bit you quoted.
Or... you're dreaming of a situation that would be preferable to you without consideration of what it would actually entail. You said you would prefer a system like the firearms program. Ok. If you think a federally issued paper in your hand is the mechanism to keep Mr Fluffypants you're extremely misguided. The govt is not gonna draft and pass law so you can KEEP your dangerous dog that has a mind of it's own. No. There would be a classification system, as all firearms are not created equal and some pose a threat to public safety, as does your dog relative to a chihuahua. (If we are still accepting of a program LIKE the firearms program, as you've stated) Dont think for a second you'd get to keep your pitbull because you have a provincial or federally issued certificate and took a class at the rcmp station or vet clinic. If that were the case, I'd have the option of owning ak47s, mg44s et al because at the end of the day they are all just firearms. But, the powers that be have decided some are not to be owned by the public, because they pose a risk to public safety. Since your breed of dog is known for chewing throats out, and worse yet, are not inanimate objects, they would not be viewed any different. Believing otherwise is pure fantasy on your part.
I'm guessing you'd also be on board with having a background check done against your name every day, being open to search and seizure without a warrant and providing detailed medical and relationship history with character references? Having specific breeds subject to bans without judicial proceedings? If your licences lapses youre in possession of a prohibited item, dogs are illegal your liscence is but an amnesty? Having to apply for certificates to take your dog to a certified dog park or vet and only those places with the most direct route possible? Having him muzzled and caged at all times until hes at those locations? Because that would make the public safer, correct?
Careful what you wish for.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking