Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #21
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

a buddy of mine her in NB invented and sold this to Winnwell last year. Might be work a look. grows with the kid. He is pretty proud of it and i think it has done well in the market so far.

As they grow and get better handle can come off, seat out etc.. pretty neat really

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 07:44 PM   #22
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've taught 5 kids to skate. This youngest was about 32 month and easily could have started younger, The oldest couldn't be convinced to even try until 6 years. I never really used the skate trainers, just made my back a little sore bending overs and holding them.

I think it's just whenever your kids are comfortable trying.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:00 AM   #23
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can also fashion a harness with a simple rope. You hold both ends and stay upright, and the rope goes under the arms of the child in front of their chest. I just got some rope from Home Depot.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:23 PM   #24
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I tried to teach my eldest to skate and like many hear my back almost exploded. Carrying a toddler around the ice is the opposite of fun.

Once we put him in a proper skating class, I found myself wondering how they'd handle all the kids without parents holding them. Turns out they just let them fall. Constantly. It's hilarious, but also far more beneficial than being carried around. My favourite thing was day 1 they had a big dice that the kids took turns throwing. Whatever number came up was the number of times they "got" to drop to their asses and get back up. They took the worst part of skating and made a game of it. It was impressive.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:38 PM   #25
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

they are never too young to try. Remember that kid from the nike commercial - he claimed he was a skating fetus, and i for one have no reason to disbelieve him
Old 09-17-2018, 12:47 PM   #26
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest difference in when my son actually learned and when he first tried was that he had full hockey gear on the second time. He learned quickly because suddenly falling didn't really hurt that much.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:20 PM   #27
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my 2 year old out a couple times this weekend on some kids Bauer Vapours we got from Play It Again.

He figured out walking around on the ground pretty quickly, but on the ice he's an uncoordinated mess. Loves gliding around between my legs though, and that's pretty much all I could hope for. He enjoyed the experience and didn't hate it - the main goal.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
father son time , kids , skate , winter