Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-16-2018, 02:10 PM   #141
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, it turns out that the Brouwer signing may have been due to a known health problem of forward Jamie McGinn, who recently had back surgery and is going to be out for the foreseeable future.

https://www.nhl.com/panthers/news/wi...th/c-300129282

Quote:
At 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, McGinn served as a strong net presence for the Panthers and did a lot of important work in the dirty areas. In fact, of his 13 goals, five came off rebounds. In looking at the depth chart, there appears to be two big-bodied forwards ready to fill that void -- second-year pro Maxim Mamin (6-foot-2, 201 pounds) and veteran Troy Brouwer (6-3, 215 pounds).

Before signing a one-year deal with the Panthers on Aug. 27, Brouwer, the lone Stanley Cup winner on Florida's roster after tasting victory with Chicago in 2010, said he was informed of McGinn's diagnosis and the opening it presented. With 763 regular-season NHL games under his belt, the 33-year-old believes his playstyle is very similar to what the team lost in McGinn.

"We've played similar styles," said Brouwer, who posted 22 points in 76 games with Calgary last season. "For me, to be able to fit into that role, hopefully, and help out where I can. I'm a guy that likes to be in the corners, be in front of the net, go get the pucks, give them to my teammates and let them do their thing."

This, along with the contract he signed, says to me that Brouwer is probably considered a borderline NHLer around the league, and his ability to stay in the league depends on the health of guys higher on the depth chart.

Honestly, I hope he brings something useful this year, but I'm just so burned out on hoping for Brouwer to do something good that I don't think I have it in me to tolerate him anymore.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:24 PM   #142
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow....I was kidding when I said "enjoy the Brouwerplay" but apparently thats exactly why they signed him.

Because it worked so well for us.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:28 PM   #143
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Wow....I was kidding when I said "enjoy the Brouwerplay" but apparently thats exactly why they signed him.

Thoughts and prayers, Cali. Thoughts and prayers.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 02:39 PM   #144
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
Thoughts and prayers, Cali. Thoughts and prayers.
I wish he'd followed Gulutzan to Edmonton.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:00 PM   #145
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

He still has to beat out some AHLers for the job.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #146
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He still has to beat out some AHLers for the job.
Henrik Borgstrom and Owen Tippett are really the only two candidates to make the club this year, but they are strong candidates to become NHLers, Borgstrom especially.

But considering how light the Panthers are on muscle in the lineup, and how much Tallon likes both muscle and Brouwer, I think he's nearly a lock to make the team.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #147
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post

Brouwer as a PP bumper used to be pretty effective. A role he only played here for a few weeks (back when Dennis Wideman was still in our top 4) before that role was returned to Monahan.

He might be a crappy 5 on 5 player, and a useless deflections guy, but he can shoot the puck from the mid slot.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2018, 05:34 PM   #148
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Brouwer as a PP bumper used to be pretty effective. A role he only played here for a few weeks (back when Dennis Wideman was still in our top 4) before that role was returned to Monahan.

He might be a crappy 5 on 5 player, and a useless deflections guy, but he can shoot the puck from the mid slot.

We will see... But I doubt this is true at all this season
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 PM   #149
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
I could shoot the puck from the mid slot on the pp with guys like Johnny Gaudreau and Nicklas ####ing Backstrom feeding me passes
erikk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to erikk3 For This Useful Post: