Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2017, 09:23 AM   #21
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing. Purchasing feeder clubs are like having farm teams, but I understand the potential of cooking the books on transfer fees and sponsorship deals on transactions between the clubs may cause big problems down the road...
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing. Purchasing feeder clubs are like having farm teams, but I understand the potential of cooking the books on transfer fees and sponsorship deals on transactions between the clubs may cause big problems down the road...
Well the "farm team system" isn't a big deal. But when you start to see players loaned/leaving on a free to the other clubs then it's a problem. For a sport that has enough questionable things taking place as it is, this doesn't seem like a step in the right direction.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 AM   #23
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I doubt that Aurier is going to happen. His court case is on Monday and his chances of having his conviction overturned are pretty slim. If it is upheld, he won't get a visa for the UK. It's a shame because he's a fantastic right back, but by all accounts a bad teammate and a jackass.

I think they'll get Perisic at some point and call it a day.
This.

The Sun , says they have signed him.
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/footb...ive-year-deal/

I get that he's better than Jones, CBJ, & Darmian

But, still I'm not a fan for a few reasons.
Valencia is one of our most tenured players, a quiet leader, AND, one of the best Right backs in the prem.

Why disrupt that?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM   #24
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well the "farm team system" isn't a big deal. But when you start to see players loaned/leaving on a free to the other clubs then it's a problem. For a sport that has enough questionable things taking place as it is, this doesn't seem like a step in the right direction.
exactly. It's something that I've unfortunately seen a lot over the past few years, with RB Salzburg slowly turning into a feeder club for RB Leipzig. So far, 16 players have been "sold" from Salzburg to Leipzig, and I've lost track of the various loans between the clubs. At first, we all laughed about the "transfer fees" when a player moved from Salzburg to Leipzig, but it seems those were cleverly calculated to circumvent FFP. Sadly, that kind of #### is still tolerated in world football (the Pozzo family and their Udinese-Watford-Granada network is another example) and it seems to get worse.

Meanwhile, Kelechi Iheanacho FINALLY gets his move to Leicester for £25m. City have a £50m buy-back clause. Makes sense for all parties I think.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #25
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
exactly. It's something that I've unfortunately seen a lot over the past few years, with RB Salzburg slowly turning into a feeder club for RB Leipzig. So far, 16 players have been "sold" from Salzburg to Leipzig, and I've lost track of the various loans between the clubs. At first, we all laughed about the "transfer fees" when a player moved from Salzburg to Leipzig, but it seems those were cleverly calculated to circumvent FFP. Sadly, that kind of #### is still tolerated in world football (the Pozzo family and their Udinese-Watford-Granada network is another example) and it seems to get worse.

Meanwhile, Kelechi Iheanacho FINALLY gets his move to Leicester for £25m. City have a £50m buy-back clause. Makes sense for all parties I think.
That buyback is why I didn't want him at Spurs though. I like him and I think that he's good, but City doesn't care about money. They could buy him back on August 31 and you're screwed. Sure you have the cash, but now 4 months without a striker.

Anyway, maybe that gets Mahrez/Gray/Drinkwater moving from Leicester now?
Old 08-01-2017, 02:48 PM   #26
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Liverpool's chances this year. Salah has been knocking them in so far in the pre-season friendlies and looks like a natural goalscorer. I was a fan of his when he was with Chelsea and was surprised he didn't make it there. Solanke is a great little signing too. Add Coutinho and Mane, and our attacking options look like we could be in for a fun season. As usual with Liverpool though, it's the other end of the pitch that could be our downfall.

And for the first time in 20 years, I went out at the weekend and bought the new home kit. Styling little number.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Swift View Post
I'm cautiously optimistic about Liverpool's chances this year. Salah has been knocking them in so far in the pre-season friendlies and looks like a natural goalscorer. I was a fan of his when he was with Chelsea and was surprised he didn't make it there. Solanke is a great little signing too. Add Coutinho and Mane, and our attacking options look like we could be in for a fun season. As usual with Liverpool though, it's the other end of the pitch that could be our downfall.

And for the first time in 20 years, I went out at the weekend and bought the new home kit. Styling little number.
And we just put the boots to Bayern Munich today so clearly we're among the best in the world.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:46 AM   #28
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

1-1 with 5 minutes left in the Community Shield. Red card to Pedro was a joke.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #29
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Arsenal have two trophies already!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #30
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love the ABBA system. A lot better than the traditional one.
Old 08-06-2017, 02:28 PM   #31
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Arsenal have two trophies already!

Brilliant decision to keep Wenger, obviously!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #32
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Brilliant decision to keep Wenger, obviously!
Hes the winningest manager in the Premier League so far.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #33
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spurs and Liverpool fans mocking Wenger and Arsenal about winning trophies ... never gets old.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #34
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Spurs and Liverpool fans mocking Wenger and Arsenal about winning trophies ... never gets old.
Nor does the peanut gallery of United fans in their neverending quest in search of a sense of humour.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #35
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live only a few miles away from the German border. How am I supposed to have a sense of humour?
Old 08-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I live only a few miles away from the German border. How am I supposed to have a sense of humour?

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #37
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What couldn't possibly get old is watching United and Woolwich finishing 5th and 6th. Maybe you're salty because they took the shield this year!
Old 08-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #38
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What couldn't possibly get old is watching United and Woolwich finishing 5th and 6th. Maybe you're salty because they took the shield this year!
And what has Wembley ever won?
You're just salty because Wenger has won more in the last four months on your home ground than you lot in close to a decade.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
And what has Wembley ever won?
You're just salty because Wenger has won more in the last four months on your home ground than you lot in close to a decade.
I'm not salty at all actually. We finished second and are pretty widely recognized as a young and rising squad. We have a fantastic team of players and the club is in good hands. You know that though...which is why United would so love to pry some of these guys away.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #40
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have literally never heard a blues, reds, or gunners fan, celebrate finishing second.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: