Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM   #1081
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I just don't see any way that Bernie could win the presidency. There has probably never been a potential presidential candidate in modern history that would be easier for Republicans to fear monger against. On healthcare alone the message will be that Bernie wants to cancel private healthcare for 150 million Americans while increasing their taxes. If Bernie does try to soften some of his policies, his base will just view him as a sellout. The head-to-head polls at this point are meaningless because everyone has been handling Sanders with kid gloves. If he wins the nomination, everything that he stands for will be conflated with communism. Seriously, if you want to get rid of Trump, he is the last guy that you should want to see win the nomination.
Honestly, I think that the fact Republicans hate him would be a compliment to his ability. Trump basically won on rhetoric that the Democrats were scared of him and thats a good thing. Sanders will run on the inverse, I mean he pretty well already runs on the campaign that rupublicans are scared of him because he is right.

Also, there is so much fear mongering in politcs that I don't believe people take it seriously. These days fear mongering sounds more like childish whining 'Trump is a literal nazi' or 'Trudeau is going to ruin the economy' sounds like white noise at this point.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 AM   #1082
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Americans aren't gonna hand the country over to Bolshevik Bernie when the economy is rolling the way it is. Inflated or not.
I mean, if you form your world view around your facebook/twitter feed then sure. Hes awesome. But hes not a winner with joe lunchpail, democrat or otherwise.
Easy there, Hannity.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:41 AM   #1083
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Easy there, Hannity.
I'm just happy you're here to chastise everyone who uses nicknames like orange cheeto, fat donnie, etc.
Or are you just offended because someone slighted your guy?
Get some thicker skin, Rachel.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:42 AM   #1084
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Honestly, I think that the fact Republicans hate him would be a compliment to his ability. Trump basically won on rhetoric that the Democrats were scared of him and thats a good thing. Sanders will run on the inverse, I mean he pretty well already runs on the campaign that rupublicans are scared of him because he is right.

Also, there is so much fear mongering in politcs that I don't believe people take it seriously. These days fear mongering sounds more like childish whining 'Trump is a literal nazi' or 'Trudeau is going to ruin the economy' sounds like white noise at this point.
He said the Republicans want face him, not that they hate him. Every right wing outlet is doing all they can to prop up Bernie right now and play him up as a victim of the evil DNC.

Bernie is running on a platform that if he was able to implement exactly as he says would directly affect voters. At this point, Americans aren't going to vote for someone who is going to take away their employer health care and replace it with taxes, and attack ads pointing out that Bernie is promising to do just that.

The majority of Americans are not going to vote for that in 2020. And there are many other policies of Bernie's that just won't play well under scrutiny.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:43 AM   #1085
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Mayo Pete
Quote:
Bolshevik Bernie
Can we take a vote to ban ####ty nicknames in this thread?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:45 AM   #1086
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My r key fell off.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 AM   #1087
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

I lost my copy of communist manifesto.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #1088
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just have the opposite effect of what you guys are intending. As long as you know that.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:48 AM   #1089
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I lost my copy of communist manifesto.
... Which would have provided you no insight into who the Bolsheviks were. Not that you ever had any interest in that, mind you; "bolshevik" sounds adequately Russian and starts with a B, which were obviously your only criteria there.

Some real high-level political analysis going on in this thread guys!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM   #1090
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Can we take a vote to ban ####ty nicknames in this thread?
Can we keep some of the nicknames in other threads? I like Peter Pathologist.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #1091
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
... Which would have provided you no insight into who the Bolsheviks were. Not that you ever had any interest in that, mind you; "bolshevik" sounds adequately Russian and starts with a B, which were obviously your only criteria there.

You must be a hit at parties.

Bernie is unelectable to your average blue collar swing voter, especially considering the state of the economy. Full stop.
Pinko jokes aside, hes unelectable and his petulant supporters would rather give Trump 4 more years than coalescing the party.
Once the DNC stops being a unorganized cluster of a joke, then they can address how they are actually going to win an election. Not seeing it yet.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM   #1092
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

Trump won because Clinton was unpopular but at the same time, it looked like she was going to win in a landslide. Therefore, people that didn't like her but would have preferred her over Trump stayed home because they figured she was going to win anyway. It's been a while since I have looked at the numbers, but I believe that Trump performed basically as well or worse than Romney in key battleground states.

Trump isn't afraid of Sanders. He wants Sanders to win the nomination.
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:58 AM   #1093
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #1094
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Mayo Pete polls low with Millennials because they can smell a phony. No one wants a fake platitude Obama lite. He's just more of the same, sell hope and change and take money from Billionaires to keep the status quo. Boomers love him because he won't actually change anything.
The president doesn't have the power to make the changes you think he can though. Running with absolute ideologies with no plan to actually get them passed is not going to help anyone or change anything.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #1095
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I know exactly who the Bolsheviks were.

Nikolai Volkoff and Boris Zuhkov.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #1096
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227645107245080576

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #1097
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Count me as one of those people who are loving watching the mad scramble and panic from the conservative and centrist posters/media the closer Sanders gets to the nomination.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:04 AM   #1098
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Bernie would make a good President. I don't think he has a chance though. Democrats are imploding from within.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #1099
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Count me as one of those people who are loving watching the mad scramble and panic from the conservative and centrist posters/media the closer Sanders gets to the nomination.
"Quick, we need to use the word "unelectable" a least a half dozen more times! Then we can run another Buttigieg ad where he says we need "real solutions" to our problems without specifying what those solutions (or even problems) are! That'll do the trick!" The tone-deafness is amazing.

... Although, to be fair, this is essentially just the exact same sentiment that the MAGA people had about "triggering the libs". It's even the same group of libs who are getting "triggered".
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 AM   #1100
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Bernie would make a good President. I don't think he has a chance though. Democrats are imploding from within.
I like Bernie. I think he has a realistic chance of winning, but in the end I don't think he will. His chances of winning are much higher than his chances of getting any of his platform enacted as president though.

His midterm election will make the Tea Party swing look like people singing Kumbaya.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post: