Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 05:26 PM   #81
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Wow. Incredibly disheartening.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:56 PM   #82
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

But also not surprising these days unfortunately. As you say, a lot of the hate and criticism is rather obviously motivated. Anyhow, onto better things.

Spoiler!

"There is no difficulty setting in the game, or in life, to make forgiving someone easier."

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #83
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

There’s definitely a portion of gamers that are the absolute worst, but that pretty much checks with society in general.

I do find it weird that someone felt compelled to make an explainer video. The depth of the game of pretty limited and emotional notes are fairly blunt, I can’t imagine needing it explained to you (but maybe that goes hand in hand with my first comment).
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #84
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

You do know there is a Youtube video on how to change a lightbulb that has over 2 million views right?

I didn't mind the explainer video actually and it did point out a couple things I missed in the gameplay.
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2020, 02:03 PM   #85
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least 3/4 through. Unless something miraculous happens in the last portion of the game I'm stunned it received the amount of 10/10 review scores it has. It borders on TLJ craziness. This is a very good game with some major flaws.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:46 PM   #86
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The downright disgusting campaign of hatred towards the creators of TLOU2 shows no sign of slowing down.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1279841603843051520
Old 07-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #87
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well there's a reason so many people quit Naughty Dog over the making of this game and internally despised the project. I'm not saying he deserves death threats but I'm not exactly sure how he could have not seen this coming given how divisive the game was inside his own studio. You make a game designed to push people's buttons and this is the unfortunate fallout in this day and age.
Old 07-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #88
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm not saying he deserves death threats but I'm not exactly sure how he could have not seen this coming given how divisive the game was inside his own studio. You make a game designed to push people's buttons and this is the unfortunate fallout in this day and age.
Sad state of affairs when people throw around death, rape and racist threats over a story in a video game. Sadder when other people in a community just shrug and point at the victims for blame.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #89
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Well there's a reason so many people quit Naughty Dog over the making of this game and internally despised the project. I'm not saying he deserves death threats but I'm not exactly sure how he could have not seen this coming given how divisive the game was inside his own studio. You make a game designed to push people's buttons and this is the unfortunate fallout in this day and age.
For one, people quit Naughty Dog en-masse before this game, not because of this game or the story, but because of their horrific work culture and ridiculously long hours.

There was debate over the story internally, but it was about the major death and the character switching, as of course that is a huge and potentially divisive risk, but it doesn't mean people despised the game internally.

And all that said, as much as I didn't care much for the game, in no way should Druckmann or the voice actor for Abby expect threats of violence and death. A lot of these criticisms are also homophobic and transphobic, which is completely ridiculous and should be seen as ridiculous.

However anyone feels about the game, to suggest it was designed to push buttons (and not in the literal sense) is a dumb opinion to have.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 07-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #90
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the mass exodus was because of the crunch on this game.

Which i always find so ridiculous as a thing to complain about... you make video games for a living. Yeah, sometimes there are going to be long hours where you work until midnight for weeks straight... apparently every few years, for Naughty Dog, when they're finishing a big project like this one. Well... welcome to the world. I do that multiple times a year, every time I have a hearing or a significant deadline. There are lots of jobs that have demanding periods like that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #91
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I thought the mass exodus was because of the crunch on this game.

Which i always find so ridiculous as a thing to complain about... you make video games for a living. Yeah, sometimes there are going to be long hours where you work until midnight for weeks straight... apparently every few years, for Naughty Dog, when they're finishing a big project like this one. Well... welcome to the world. I do that multiple times a year, every time I have a hearing or a significant deadline. There are lots of jobs that have demanding periods like that.
From what I've read, they are far and away an exception for just how bad the crunch gets, and other studios are much better at managing the crunch for similarly development-intensive games.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:29 AM   #92
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I feel like posting the threats and insults they receive only emboldens trolls to keep going because they get off on seeing their stuff posted widely. The staff receiving the abuse can and should let people that they are receiving these messages and that it's way overboard, but posting the actual messages seems like a mistake.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #93
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not too many people have to work 12-16 hours a day for weeks with no breaks. Very few people have to do it for months. That should not be normal in any industry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 10:40 AM   #94
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It certainly doesn’t sound like it had as much to do with hours as it did with internal politics;
https://nichegamer.com/2020/05/03/ru...t-2-cutscenes/
Old 07-06-2020, 10:44 AM   #95
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

12 hours a day 7 days a week is an 84 hour work week. I dunno, I do that pretty frequently, sometimes for weeks on end, and I know of plenty of other professions that do likewise. That of course assumes that what you've written isn't an exaggeration and they don't take an early night or a weekend off here or there, which I suspect more accurately represents what happens.

I just do not have a problem with those work practices. It's basically, "there are lots of great things about working here, but you have to realize that every year or three, you're going to have to grind through a period where it's eat-sleep-work for weeks. Don't sign on if you can't handle that."

Maybe my own work experience is creating some bias here, but like I say, I know for a fact you could hear the same thing from people in certain medical fields, investment bankers, some departments in the big 4... probably plenty entrepreneurs as well. I just cannot summon any umbrage about this.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 10:45 AM   #96
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
It certainly doesn’t sound like it had as much to do with hours as it did with internal politics;
https://nichegamer.com/2020/05/03/ru...t-2-cutscenes/
Here's an article that uses sources instead of rumours:
https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-cr...per-1842289962
Old 07-06-2020, 10:48 AM   #97
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
However anyone feels about the game, to suggest it was designed to push buttons (and not in the literal sense) is a dumb opinion to have.
The original game was so great because it was a journey of two compelling characters surviving in a post apocalyptic world. The sequel is some sort of bitter revenge story centered around a roid raged woman that's trying to send some sort of humans are bad message that's largely fallen flat with the audience.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #98
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Here's an article that uses sources instead of rumours:
https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-cr...per-1842289962
I see one source from your article and several from the one I listed. Where there’s smoke there’s fire and that building was shouldering.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 07-06-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 10:58 AM   #99
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
I see one source from your article and several from the one I listed. Where there’s smoke there’s fire and that building was shouldering.
How is "13 current and former developers" one source?
Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
How is "13 current and former developers" one source?
At the end of the day trying to proclaim anonymous sources from one article are more legit than anonymous sources from another is futile. If you read both article top to bottom you will see parallels in some of the comments. Seems like it was definitely a frustrating experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: