Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #461
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
The rise of another power is inevitable, but we don't have to just accept it when the power suppresses freedoms and free enterprise.
It may not HK much good, but the best long term action against China's aggression is for everyone to transition away from buying their goods. ABC. It's not going to prevent their continued rise, but perhaps it can at least temper their dominance.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:24 AM   #462
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I actually think that's a naive post. We don't have to respect an authoritarian world view just because someone with money holds it. Donald Trump holds an authoritarian world view too and it's also trash. I don't think many people don't grant that China has an incredible history and culture, and if they do, then it's an opinion that doesn't hold a lot of weight. But history doesn't excuse action. Regardless of the circumstances of the possession of HK in the first place, which were at minimum amoral and in reality criminal, the handover had stipulations.

I also think you greatly overvalue how positive the relationships China has with other countries that they're not openly belligerent with. Debt slavery to strip resources isn't positive, it's just economic colonialism.

The rise of another power is inevitable, but we don't have to just accept it when the power suppresses freedoms and free enterprise.
Naive? Based on your response I'm not even sure you understood what I wrote.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:19 AM   #463
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1279064938623971328

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:34 AM   #464
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
Yeah, imagine. Beijing would respond to the insurrection by sending in the People's Liberation Army equipped with tanks, IFVs, and other heavy weapons to completely crush the civilian resistance in a way that would make the Tienanmen Square massacre pale in comparison. This pro-gun fantasy that unorganized civilian partisans equipped with small arms can somehow defeat the full power of a nation state's military is just that, a fantasy.
They did that anyways, can you not enter your own personal political obsessions into every issue?

The response by the CCP was not moderate in any way, it stands by itself as a monstrous event and has nothing to do with gun control.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:43 AM   #465
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
They did that anyways, can you not enter your own personal political obsessions into every issue?

The response by the CCP was not moderate in any way, it stands by itself as a monstrous event and has nothing to do with gun control.
My political obsessions? I'm not the one who brought up American-style gun ownership in this thread.

And yes, Beijing's response to the Hong Kong protests was monstrous. My point is that it would be on an entirely worse level of monstrous if they deployed the PLA to engage in open warfare with 500,000 Hong Kong citizens equipped with small arms rather than umbrellas.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #466
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/news/sectio...dian-activists

Quote:
“I know of no reason not to think it means what it appears to say: (Beijing) is asserting extraterritorial jurisdiction over every person on the planet,” said a blog post by Donald Clarke, a George Washington University professor specializing in Chinese law. “If you’ve ever said anything that might offend the PRC or Hong Kong authorities, stay out of Hong Kong. ”
Old 07-03-2020, 02:24 PM   #467
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Plus aside from the humanitarian issues, Hong Kong residents are exactly the type of immigrants any western country would want. High degree of English proficiency, educated, no major cultural integration issues. It just sucks that this is happening during a global depression where jobs are so scarce
Those are the ones that the most likely to have the means to escape. Plenty of Hong Kong people aren't very proficient in English and only have a secondary or lower level of education. Those are the ones who really need help.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #468
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
Those are the ones that the most likely to have the means to escape. Plenty of Hong Kong people aren't very proficient in English and only have a secondary or lower level of education. Those are the ones who really need help.
There has also been a movement in Hong Kong in recent years to use Cantonese more and more rather than English, but mainly in response to China forcing Mandarin on them from my understanding.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #469
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Imagine if HK had american gun culture and chinese oppression was met by 500,000 HK'ers with assault rifles.
500,000 dead gun owners is all I can imagine
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote