GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Quote:
@Dave_Lervik
22h22 hours ago
Replying to @_waleedshahid @AOC @SenMarkey
Mike, Jr.: Dad, can you get me a big poster of Luke on a ton-ton?
Mike, Sr.: Sure, son. I'll have my staff print one up on some poster board.
Jr.: Isn't that misuse of public funds, Dad?
Sr.: Hmm. I've got a plan, and it's just crazy enough to work...
lol...
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 03-27-2019, 09:08 AM   #42
aaronck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post

'MERICA is soooooo screwed!
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #43
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Mike Pence Indiana?? He won a mayor's race in a liberal college town with 8,500 votes.
Touché, Catholicism is known for its liberal and open stance on the LGBTQ community.

I also should have checked to see how much of South Bend would be in the traditional 'rust belt'. Its not like it was a major automotive manufacturing city, and represented on the following chart:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt

I also stand corrected on him having 80% of the vote, I was mistaken thinking that mathematics applied in Indiana, which apparently Mike Pence was not the Governor of in 2015.

All that said, campaigning on facts will be the biggest difficulty for the Democrats in 2020. Which is why they should run a candidate that is not only smart, but also 'feels' right.
Old 03-27-2019, 10:58 AM   #44
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Touché, Catholicism is known for its liberal and open stance on the LGBTQ community.

I also should have checked to see how much of South Bend would be in the traditional 'rust belt'. Its not like it was a major automotive manufacturing city, and represented on the following chart:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_Belt

I also stand corrected on him having 80% of the vote, I was mistaken thinking that mathematics applied in Indiana, which apparently Mike Pence was not the Governor of in 2015.

All that said, campaigning on facts will be the biggest difficulty for the Democrats in 2020. Which is why they should run a candidate that is not only smart, but also 'feels' right.
It had a Studebaker plant until the 60s until it went belly up. So its run as a town with a closed down auto employer is longer than most mid-west towns, to be sure. But it is also quite a economically disadvantaged community, much like other similar rust-belt towns. Swaths of the city are littered with vacant lots and abandoned industrial buildings and houses.

South Bend is not like other wealthier college towns like Ann Arbor, Madison, Bloomington or others. As for liberalness - St. Joseph's county, where South Bend is, narrowly went to Clinton 47.5% to 47.3%. By comparison, Monroe County, which has Bloomington (IU), went 58.5% to 35.2% for Clinton. South Bend is no question more conservative than Bloomington or Indianapolis, but not as conservative as the rural parts of the state.

Last edited by Bunk; 03-27-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:32 AM   #45
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol, House opening prayer at Pennsylvania state leg.

Just so happens to be the day state Rep. Movita Johnson-Harrell, a Philadelphia area Democrat, was sworn in as the state’s first Muslim woman representative.

Old 03-27-2019, 11:35 AM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post

Just so happens to be the day state Rep. Movita Johnson-Harrell, a Philadelphia area Democrat, was sworn in as the state’s first Muslim woman representative.

What a POS
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 11:42 AM   #47
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

That type of stuff is genuinely frightening.

How is any person - even a casual Christian - supposed to feel welcome to participate in that legislature after that jibber-jabber.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #48
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

She thanked God that Trump stands beside Israel.
Old 03-27-2019, 11:57 AM   #49
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:

Old 03-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #50
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
It had a Studebaker plant until the 60s until it went belly up. So its run as a town with a closed down auto employer is longer than most mid-west towns, to be sure. But it is also quite a economically disadvantaged community, much like other similar rust-belt towns. Swaths of the city are littered with vacant lots and abandoned industrial buildings and houses.

South Bend is not like other wealthier college towns like Ann Arbor, Madison, Bloomington or others. As for liberalness - St. Joseph's county, where South Bend is, narrowly went to Clinton 47.5% to 47.3%. By comparison, Monroe County, which has Bloomington (IU), went 58.5% to 35.2% for Clinton. South Bend is no question more conservative than Bloomington or Indianapolis, but not as conservative as the rural parts of the state.
My point was really just that winning an as a Democrat in a city that the mayor has always been Democrat in an election that only 10,000 people voted is not really indicative of anything. And it certainly isn't a given that he could flip a bunch of Pence voters state-wide.

If he wins, and beats Trump, then great. But I am not sold that he is the best bet, and having the best bet is by far the most important thing in this election.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My point was really just that winning an as a Democrat in a city that the mayor has always been Democrat in an election that only 10,000 people voted is not really indicative of anything. And it certainly isn't a given that he could flip a bunch of Pence voters state-wide.

If he wins, and beats Trump, then great. But I am not sold that he is the best bet, and having the best bet is by far the most important thing in this election.
The argument could be made that the people who won't vote for him because he's gay are the same people who are unlikely to vote for a Democrat anyways.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #52
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
The argument could be made that the people who won't vote for him because he's gay are the same people who are unlikely to vote for a Democrat anyways.
True in the bible belt, but not sure about the blue collar, labor Democrats that voted for Trump. That demographic is by far the most important in 2020.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #53
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True in the bible belt, but not sure about the blue collar, labor Democrats that voted for Trump. That demographic is by far the most important in 2020.
This is why I wanted Sherrod Brown, but no dice. I guess he could still be a VP pick.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 01:06 PM   #54
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be Biden or Bernie, too many built in advantages in the primaries.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:20 PM   #55
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It'll be Biden or Bernie, too many built in advantages in the primaries.
Biden maybe, highly unlikely on Bernie. That’s wishful thinking. His positions and talking points have been made mostly into standard dem positions now so to try and stay relevant he’ll need to go more extreme. No I believe still that barring a catostrophic shift in the political landscape you’re looking at Biden or Harris as your nominee. Both are centrist enough to make the “appease the moderates” faction happy. Both will be able to handle trump in a debate, either because it’s Biden who’ll be all old man angry and get some of the allegedly moderate people who like those who say it like it is or Harris who is a PR minefield for trump. He’ll either attack her in a fashion that’s so clearly racial it’s going to be an even worse disaster (theoretically) than undecideds are willing to tolerate or he’ll actually be forced to back off the attack for fear of exactly that and lose the one thing he’s good at.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:31 PM   #56
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bernie has a significant voting block that is firmly behind him so in a crowded field he's going to make it to the end most likely as one of the last two. Harris is fighting Biden for the Hillary/Obama voters, but she has nowhere near the cred that Biden has so he should be able to fight her off pretty easily.
Old 03-27-2019, 01:55 PM   #57
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Really wish Biden had just decided to run 4 years ago, would have saved everyone a helluva lot of trouble
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2019, 02:26 PM   #58
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of Buttgieg...

Preet Bahara should be interesting too.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110982585927131136

Last edited by DuffMan; 03-27-2019 at 02:29 PM.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #59
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speaking of Buttgieg...

Preet Bahara should be interesting too.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1110982585927131136
Buttigieg was on Preet's podcast a few weeks ago. A good listen.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #60
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

On today's episode of the NRA are complete garbage...

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b03e83bdbe59eb

Quote:
NRA officer Mark Richardson emailed Wolfgang Halbig, a noted harasser of parents of Sandy Hook Elementary School victims, to float a conspiracy theory about the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, where 17 people were killed last year.

“Just like [Sandy Hook], there is so much more to this story,” Richardson said in an email dated Feb. 15, 2018 ― just one day after the Florida shooting. Twenty children and six adults were killed during the 2012 Sandy Hook shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. “[The Parkland shooter] was not alone.” The email was sent from his official NRA email address.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote