Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #1801
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player
 
Jimmy Stang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

^ I like it. I don't think that I would buy it (I play mine docked 90% of the time), but I like the premise. I think that it will do well as a 3DS replacement.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:55 AM   #1802
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

I play handheld 90% of the time but see this as a good option for a second system for the kids. I’m hoping it lets you transfer digital games/saves if you attach it to the same account — that would probably seal it for me. Like, I want it, but I’m not buying second copies of Smash Bros. and Mario Maker.
__________________
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #1803
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Wish they would have kept the screen size the same. I would think you could do it and thin the bezel. Still, it'll sell like hot cakes and print money.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #1804
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

I play mine in handheld probably 90% of the time...have no need for a second unit...but still kind of want one because I think the Pokemon edition is sweet.

Really though I'll probably hold out since I'd prefer a "Switch Pro" with a bit of a better processor and 1080P screen so you get the same quality handheld and docked.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:17 PM   #1805
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Huh. I figured it would come closer to the release of Pokemon, since that's one of the two groups this is clearly aimed for: Kids, and those that buy only for Pokemon or Animal Crossing.

As far as keeping the TV output goes, I'm betting that is to ensure the more expensive full Switch is still easily the more desired system for most use cases.
My guess is this lets them get the early adopters in September, get some sale through for a couple months and get inventory into the market, which then allows them to put a slight discount on it in a bundle with Pokemon for Black Friday in November.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:39 PM   #1806
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster
 
Mazrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Gary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Really though I'll probably hold out since I'd prefer a "Switch Pro" with a bit of a better processor and 1080P screen so you get the same quality handheld and docked.
Given how much the switch clocks down in handheld mode, I wouldn't hold out much hope that a 1080p screen would be in the cards. Nearly all the games on the Switch right now can't even do 720p in handheld mode.

Last edited by Mazrim; 07-10-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28 AM   #1807
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Given how much the switch clocks down in handheld mode, I wouldn't hold out much hope that a 1080p screen would be in the cards. Nearly all the games on the Switch right now can't even do 720p in handheld mode.
My guess is it would be March 2020 if a pro does happen...and that would be 3 years since the original Switch launched.

Have to think that chip sets have approved enough in that time period to make the docked performance viable on the go.

Even just the chip set used in the Lite gets the same performance as the OG, and better battery life, even though it has a smaller battery.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #1808
FanIn80
GOAT!
 
FanIn80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Exp:
Default

I really like the new Switch idea. Just wish they'd add the the same access to old games that the *DS has. Also wish they'd add the ability to play *DS games on it.

I envision a world where I can buy a game on "Hardware Version 6" and still play it 10 years later on "Hardware Version 11." Crazy, I know, but a man can dream!
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:14 PM   #1809
dino7c
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
My guess is it would be March 2020 if a pro does happen...and that would be 3 years since the original Switch launched.

Have to think that chip sets have approved enough in that time period to make the docked performance viable on the go.

Even just the chip set used in the Lite gets the same performance as the OG, and better battery life, even though it has a smaller battery.
They don't need to wait for chip sets to improve for a pro model. Switch isn't exactly cutting edge technology.
__________________
#MakeTheFlamesGreatAgain
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:47 PM   #1810
bax
First Line Centre
 
bax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Is Mario Maker worth it if I can't see myself diving into the creation tools? More so just looking for a fun pick up and play game. My Switch has been collecting dust. Is Mario Maker a better choice than New Super Mario Bros?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #1811
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Is Mario Maker worth it if I can't see myself diving into the creation tools? More so just looking for a fun pick up and play game. My Switch has been collecting dust. Is Mario Maker a better choice than New Super Mario Bros?
This was asked earlier and the answer was yes. There are about 100 prebuilt levels and there are tons of player-created levels that will keep you busy for as long as you're interested.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #1812
bax
First Line Centre
 
bax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
This was asked earlier and the answer was yes. There are about 100 prebuilt levels and there are tons of player-created levels that will keep you busy for as long as you're interested.
Thanks! I'll go back and read the thread, my apologies. Would you recommend it over New Super Mario Bros?
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:56 PM   #1813
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin
 
DownInFlames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Thanks! I'll go back and read the thread, my apologies. Would you recommend it over New Super Mario Bros?
I would. I haven't played New Super Mario Bros on Switch but I did on Wii U and it was fun but I'd only get it on Switch if it was cheap.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM   #1814
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
They don't need to wait for chip sets to improve for a pro model. Switch isn't exactly cutting edge technology.
Meant more from a perspective of keeping it in the cost / form factor that they are hoping.

The only way I'd be surprised is if they decided to just hold out for a "Switch 2" at this point instead of just a revision.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:17 AM   #1815
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre
 
MacDaddy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Exp:
Default

been hearing rumblings but does anyone know if Netflix is going to the Switch?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:57 PM   #1816
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

XR6-3GD-7NG

Hidden Block Heroes. My first crack at the 20 second speed run style level. Hidden blocks save your life over and over in this one, instead of being the trolls! Have fun and send it a like please!
__________________
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #1817
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

Been a crazy month on the Switch.

Haven't really gotten into Mario Maker 2 yet (June 28th) because Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 (July 19th) came out and I've been playing that more, and now you have Fire Emblem coming out tomorrow.

At first I didn't have much interest in Fire Emblem but with the great reviews it's getting I think Ill have to give it a shot.

Sitting at 87 on metacritic - https://www.metacritic.com/game/swit...m-three-houses
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:15 AM   #1818
Resolute 14
One of many who is too boring; thinks that there should be rules regarding grammar in custom user titles, and also makes moderators wonder if there is a charachter limit here. I mean come on- you would think that would be a limitation in the software
 
Resolute 14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Exp:
Default

Really looking forward to FE, but there's no way I'm playing all three houses if each takes 80 hours.
__________________

Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #1819
chemgear
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Really looking forward to FE, but there's no way I'm playing all three houses if each takes 80 hours.
Retirement.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 05:37 PM   #1820
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player
 
OutOfTheCube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Exp:
Default

I haven’t like the only other FE I tried (Awakening, which also was critically acclaimed) and the trailers for this one haven’t done much for me. But thebgreat reviews have me intrigued, again.
__________________
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.

Calgary Flames
2017-18




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2016