Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #981
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
All the hassle is really not worth saving a few bucks when it comes to sports and cord cutting...quality/reliability is just not there despite what some say.

For a Flames fan the most basic cable setup plus SN is the way to go..."cut the cord" everywhere else. (tv shows, movies, ect.)

You can even only cancel your service for the summer

I use a borrowed cable login for Sportsnet Now, and have zero issues with it. They have Android TV and Amazon Fire Stick apps now, and that's how I watched all of the NHL playoffs. It was much more of a pain in the ass when I had to use Chromecast to get it on the big TV, that always cut out for zome reason, but with the dedicated TV apps now I have no complaints
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:49 PM   #982
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Sure, but without judging, a borrowed cable login is basically the same as any illegitimate stream. Not really relevant in the paying for cable vs paying for streaming debate.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #983
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
How has this setup worked for you? I've been debating getting a plex pass, I already use this a ton for movies so I'm familiar with and like the program, and then using a similar setup to what you just described. I'm in the same boat that the wife has to be able to use this with ease and not too much trouble shooting.
Overall it's worked quite well - no regrets whatsoever in cutting the cord. I supplemented the above with a SportsNet subscription which was cut the moment we lost to Colorado. Admittedly, my ability to watch sports is rather limited but frankly life with small kids has largely made that irrelevant anyways. if I really want to watch an event I'll just pay TSN/SN/DAZN for the month the event is on.

Wife acceptance factor (WAF) is good - program up all her shows, show her how to find them (which is easy) and you're set. The big sell to her is how Plex removes commercials - she loves that. The only thing is to ensure things actually record when they're supposed to which has not worked when something has crashed or the guide glitches.

Probably the buggest WAF glitch was getting a new Vizio TV. For some reason the Vizio plex client doesn't support Live TV - so no watching Live TV, even if it's just CBC. I hooked up an old Amazon TV box to it to be able to run the HDHomerun client - but then the single remote factor went raising the WAF...

OTA signal is great - nice clean uncompressed signal. Still amazed this little $25 mouse pad looking thing works as well as it does. Hardest part is finding adhesive that doesn't melt in a SW facing window. Having the house wired for ethernet has helped a lot - not sure how well this would work wirelessly.

Recordings off the HDHomeRun are actually outstanding - 3GB for a 1920x1080 h.264 1 hr episode. I upgraded to a higher HDHomerun to be able to record in this resolution. It eats up disk space fast though, you have to be on top of deleting things. I'd recommend 2 tuners at a minimum though. Time to buy a new drive for the NAS though...

Going through the guide, you realize how few network TV shows are worth watching, further reinforcing my decision to cut the cord... If anything I find myself watching YouTube more and more, and am giving the Premium version of that a go....ahhhh....no more irritating commercials..... Between that and Netflix and Prime Video - I'm set for streaming services.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 07-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 12:04 AM   #984
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Sure, but without judging, a borrowed cable login is basically the same as any illegitimate stream. Not really relevant in the paying for cable vs paying for streaming debate.

I wasn't making any kind of price comparison, I'm just saying that with the Android TV or Fire Stick apps Sportsnet Now is just as good as watching it on cable
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #985
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

OK IT nerds, Im looking to buy an NAS server for my Plex library that I share with my kids. Currently I have my Plex server on a laptop that is standalone for Plex and store my files on a 4TB external HDD synced to the laptop. Generally speaking I have few issues unless all of us are streaming at same time. Still having a NAS would help me remove some clutter and provide better service into the future. Although Imdecent with computers I am NOT in IT or at that level, so simpler the better.
I am looking at these units:
https://www.amazon.ca/TS-251-Persona...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017M4J6B0?...droidcent08-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015S0Y50M?...droidcent08-20

are any of these worth it or do you have better suggestions? Could a dummy like me install and work on these with relative ease?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 08:46 PM   #986
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
OK IT nerds, Im looking to buy an NAS server for my Plex library that I share with my kids. Currently I have my Plex server on a laptop that is standalone for Plex and store my files on a 4TB external HDD synced to the laptop. Generally speaking I have few issues unless all of us are streaming at same time. Still having a NAS would help me remove some clutter and provide better service into the future. Although Imdecent with computers I am NOT in IT or at that level, so simpler the better.
I am looking at these units:
https://www.amazon.ca/TS-251-Persona...y&sr=8-1-fkmr0

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B017M4J6B0?...droidcent08-20

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B015S0Y50M?...droidcent08-20

are any of these worth it or do you have better suggestions? Could a dummy like me install and work on these with relative ease?
Of those the only one I would recommend is the QNAP. It would make the best Plex server. I don’t think you’d have a problem setting it up. You access the UI via a browser and it’s fairly intuitive.

I have a Synology NAS and I think this one is comparable to what you’re looking for.

SYNOLOGY 2 Bay NAS Disk Station, DS218play (Diskless) https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B076G1G2ZT/..._iDwhDb3E79A8K
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #987
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

One thing to keep in mind with using a NAS as a Plex server, unless you shell out big money ($1000) for one with a Core i3 in it, you'll get less performance out of it than using a midgrade laptop or mini-pc as the host. I'm not sure if any of the ones listed so far would do more than a single 1080p transcode at a time
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:55 PM   #988
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
One thing to keep in mind with using a NAS as a Plex server, unless you shell out big money ($1000) for one with a Core i3 in it, you'll get less performance out of it than using a midgrade laptop or mini-pc as the host. I'm not sure if any of the ones listed so far would do more than a single 1080p transcode at a time
This 100x over. You need to really shell out to get something that transcodes decently. Cuda could not be more correct.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:58 AM   #989
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rather than shelling out for a NAS, I bought a cheap NAS for ERA and then spent $500-600 on a cheap multicore AMD server I built (with SSD for transcoding and unarchiving). I also plan to put my old GeForce 970 in my server to help with transcoding.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by Krovikan; 07-08-2019 at 01:49 PM.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #990
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
All the hassle is really not worth saving a few bucks when it comes to sports and cord cutting...quality/reliability is just not there despite what some say.

For a Flames fan the most basic cable setup plus SN is the way to go..."cut the cord" everywhere else. (tv shows, movies, ect.)

You can even only cancel your service for the summer
I have literally no issue with the quality and reliability. I even have 4 screen simultaneous split screen now. You're the biggest naysayer
Old 07-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #991
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

After living in the US for a few years and temporarily with the inlaws for a few months, I'll finally be on my own again in about a month. I do watch some TV, but am not interested in spending $70 per month to watch a few channels here or there. I was surfing the various ISP websites and found PikTV with Telus. For $10 a month, it seems like a fantastic deal. Do any of you have experience with this service? Do you like it? Sorry if this has been discussed previously in here.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #992
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
After living in the US for a few years and temporarily with the inlaws for a few months, I'll finally be on my own again in about a month. I do watch some TV, but am not interested in spending $70 per month to watch a few channels here or there. I was surfing the various ISP websites and found PikTV with Telus. For $10 a month, it seems like a fantastic deal. Do any of you have experience with this service? Do you like it? Sorry if this has been discussed previously in here.

I just signed up for it when I redid my internet contract. The interface is okay, but it seems to work really well. Best part is that you can get all the sports channels for $14/month versus SN Now for $20/month. I’ll turn that on in the fall.
_Q_
Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM   #993
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I just signed up for it when I redid my internet contract. The interface is okay, but it seems to work really well. Best part is that you can get all the sports channels for $14/month versus SN Now for $20/month. I’ll turn that on in the fall.
Any issues with picture quality, lag, connection issues? Or has it been pretty seamless?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #994
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Any issues with picture quality, lag, connection issues? Or has it been pretty seamless?
None that I've noticed, but I have Fibre (300/300 Mbps)
_Q_
Old 07-10-2019, 04:01 PM   #995
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Speaking of PikTV anyone tried getting it to work on anything other than Telus' box? I have an Nvidia Shield and would rather use that.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:05 PM   #996
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
Speaking of PikTV anyone tried getting it to work on anything other than Telus' box? I have an Nvidia Shield and would rather use that.
I use it with my Apple TV. I also got a free Apple TV 4K for signing up, so bonus!

Also used the app on my phone.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #997
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Problem is Telus doesn't allow you to install the app on any Android box but their own, I guess I'm wondering about sideloading it and if anyone has tried.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:09 PM   #998
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I have literally no issue with the quality and reliability. I even have 4 screen simultaneous split screen now. You're the biggest naysayer
Whatever you say...some people have different standards. My opinion is it's worth a few bucks for sports to get a legit cable subscription.

I am saying to cut everything else though
Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 PM   #999
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever you say...some people have different standards. My opinion is it's worth a few bucks for sports to get a legit cable subscription.

I am saying to cut everything else though
The problem I have though is I spend a lot of time in hotel and remote areas where there either isn't any cable or they don't have Sportsnet. I tried Sportsnet Now for a bit but it's terrible, low quality, half the time it wouldn't even load, preposterous sign-in issues so I had to reset my password every single hockey game. Gamecentre Live was better reliability wise but of course every game was blacked out so was useless except when I went to BC for 4 weeks. Illegal streams would load every time in perfect HD quality.

I'm 100% with you that cable is still the only real option for sports, just sucks for all the times it's not an option
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #1000
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Anyone have recommendations for a Plex server? I've been using an old iMac but it's failing on me. Not looking to break the bank but want something reliable with options for expanding the storage.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote