Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2019, 11:01 PM   #1741
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Basically everything I'm reading on this says the port is buggy to the point of being nearly broken, and so hilariously badly optimized that even a really good setup is getting very poor to awful frame rates for reasons that have yet to be fully sussed out.

I might just end up borrowing a copy for PS4.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:13 PM   #1742
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's definitely a resource hog but runs great for me. And looks gorgeous.

I haven't read about any performance issues from people running on the 'optimal' suggested settings for their setup from Nvidia
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:29 AM   #1743
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm running on Ultra @ 1440p with about ~51 FPS on average, which looks perfectly fine on a GSync display. Still on a 6700k OCd @ 4.7 / RTX 2080 OCd @ 7700/2050. It runs about the same as GTAV does at 4K at 1440, maybe a smidge better

"Poorly optimized" just means there's a lot of dudes in the last year that bought a 4K display with a 2070 and blindly hoped that it can run the latest games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 11-06-2019 at 06:31 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:03 AM   #1744
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, no, it doesn't. This game is over a year old. People not being able to run it on high at 4k with a 2080 at near 60fps (which Nvidia even says you can't) is a problem. I suspect someone will hunt down whatever setting is doing it and just run that on low to help. Already seeing people saying they can turn down a handful of things and gain 15 fps, which really shouldn't happen. Did they set the draw distance to super long or what... just strange.

Anyway all I'm saying is that if I have to set it to medium-ish and I'm still getting sub 60 fps with my machine, I might as well just play it on a TV.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #1745
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, no, it doesn't. This game is over a year old. People not being able to run it on high at 4k with a 2080 at near 60fps (which Nvidia even says you can't) is a problem. I suspect someone will hunt down whatever setting is doing it and just run that on low to help. Already seeing people saying they can turn down a handful of things and gain 15 fps, which really shouldn't happen. Did they set the draw distance to super long or what... just strange.

Anyway all I'm saying is that if I have to set it to medium-ish and I'm still getting sub 60 fps with my machine, I might as well just play it on a TV.
Well like most modern games, the Ambient Occlusion settings are often most at fault for poor FPS. And it's not a year old, it just came out. The PS4 Pro version has a lot less fiddly bits (and only rendered 4K at half the native rate). Modern cards (other than the 2080 Ti and Titan) aren't built for 4K in this years games. The 2080 struggles to run Rise Of The Tomb Raider in 4K. The in-game technologies keep pushing their internal lines and we have yet to reach the "Full Graphics + 4K" barrier, simply because 1440p > 4K is pushing over twice the amount of pixels.

Quote:
Old 11-06-2019, 09:27 AM   #1746
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

4K on console is not the same as 4K on PC. There are a lot of concessions made to make that work on console. We simply aren't at the point to truly run games at that resolution yet.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:49 AM   #1747
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put it on my other computer last night. Runs just as smooth on high @ 1440p with a 1070ti as it does on ultra with my 2080ti.

It's not poorly optimized, it's just demanding. Lower your settings
Old 11-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #1748
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
but also needed to disable my anti virus
Thanks for this. Disabling Bitdefender fixed my issue. Added an exception to the list for RDR2.exe but was getting late into the evening and didn't try to see if that worked. Will get at er tonight!
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #1749
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone try Control? I'm about 3/4 through the game and still don't know what to make of it. The telekinesis powers provide some of the most satisfying gameplay I can remember and the story is something out of a David Lynch movie. I like it but I'm not sure if I love it which will depend on how it wraps up but it's definitely one of the more unique gaming experiences I've had in some time. Not mainstream enough for everyone but if you like David Lynch style bizarre storyline and the ability to weird some really cool powers, it's worth a look.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #1750
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Anyone try Control? I'm about 3/4 through the game and still don't know what to make of it. The telekinesis powers provide some of the most satisfying gameplay I can remember and the story is something out of a David Lynch movie. I like it but I'm not sure if I love it which will depend on how it wraps up but it's definitely one of the more unique gaming experiences I've had in some time. Not mainstream enough for everyone but if you like David Lynch style bizarre storyline and the ability to weird some really cool powers, it's worth a look.
Will second this recommendation. Won't be my game of the year or anything, but I love that there are still studios that can put out a unique game like this. It was a ton of fun and full of really cool moments even though the story didn't grab me as much as I would have liked.

I hope this game gets some support. The developers have also road mapped a DLC strategy for the next year with 3 additional downloads coming. One even ties the world of Control to a previous game they did - Alan Wake.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 02:04 PM   #1751
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Thanks for this. Disabling Bitdefender fixed my issue. Added an exception to the list for RDR2.exe but was getting late into the evening and didn't try to see if that worked. Will get at er tonight!
I think that's something with the Rockstar Launcher, I had to do it for GTA as well
Old 11-06-2019, 03:35 PM   #1752
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, almost a whole page of graphics card and tech nonsense. The PC gamers must've finally got one of our old games released for them.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #1753
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Ah, almost a whole page of graphics card and tech nonsense. The PC gamers must've finally got one of our old games released for them.

Quote:
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 04:25 PM   #1754
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
But he's completely right.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:17 PM   #1755
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want to play games on medium graphics, 1080p, and 30 fps, you won't need to spend much time fidgeting with PC settings.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #1756
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
But he's completely right.
Nah. It's faux elitism because he plays on a system that makes you choose between just good enough and not at all. Some of us appreciate the ability to get smoother framerates, higher detail, and better controls, even if we have to wait a bit longer to play. Besides, I'm sure most of us already played it console anyway.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:49 PM   #1757
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Nah. It's faux elitism because he plays on a system that makes you choose between just good enough and not at all. Some of us appreciate the ability to get smoother framerates, higher detail, and better controls, even if we have to wait a bit longer to play. Besides, I'm sure most of us already played it console anyway.
Not at all, PC gaming is great and there's people in here all the time having great discussions about games they're playing.

But it's also painfully obvious when a high performance game gets released and someone wanders in from the hardware thread to flex their set-up and you know, not actually talk about the game.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 05:52 PM   #1758
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm seriously loving Red Dead though. I did play it when it first came out but stopped after maybe 10 hours deciding I'd wait for a PC version and I'm so glad I did. The world rockstar has created is amazing and the scenary takes my breath away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
If you want to play games on medium graphics, 1080p, and 30 fps, you won't need to spend much time fidgeting with PC settings.
If I wanted to play at 1080p and 30fps I would've just finished it on PS4

Last edited by btimbit; 11-06-2019 at 08:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #1759
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Not at all, PC gaming is great and there's people in here all the time having great discussions about games they're playing.

But it's also painfully obvious when a high performance game gets released and someone wanders in from the hardware thread to flex their set-up and you know, not actually talk about the game.
Ok but you came across a little snarky because you referred to it as “our game”. Otherwise I get what you’re saying. PC gamers can be a little obsessed with specs.

I’m enjoying replaying it. I paid more attention to details in the early game, especially how the gang interacts with each other.

I’m not having the same issues with controls that I did on console. Mouse and keyboard are so much better. Gunfights are a blast.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:31 PM   #1760
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Ok but you came across a little snarky because you referred to it as “our game”. Otherwise I get what you’re saying. PC gamers can be a little obsessed with specs.

I’m enjoying replaying it. I paid more attention to details in the early game, especially how the gang interacts with each other.

I’m not having the same issues with controls that I did on console. Mouse and keyboard are so much better. Gunfights are a blast.
He just enjoys policing hardware talk out of this thread that's all. Even though all that happened here was one guy saying it's poorly optimized and several people saying it's just demanding, hardly people coming in to "flex their set up"

Mods are what I can't wait for. GTAV is awesome, but even better with realistic gun sounds, every car replaced with its real life version, and graphics mods that make it look like real life.

Can't wait to see what people come out with for Red Dead

Edit: Small patch today as well

Quote:
Improvements to address issues that resulted in Red Dead Redemption 2 crashing due to Anti-Virus software.

Improvements to address issues that resulted in the Rockstar Games Launcher returning the error "The Rockstar Games Launcher exited unexpectedly" when launching Red Dead Redemption 2

Last edited by btimbit; 11-06-2019 at 10:27 PM.