Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM   #301
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

when Canada crushes Burkina Faso in 2026 the rest of the world will be echo the comments here

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:00 PM   #302
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
when Canada crushes Burkina Faso in 2026 the rest of the world will be echo the comments here
We'd be lucky to eke out a 2-0 win.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #303
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1007265932320870400
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #304
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
We'd be lucky to eke out a 2-0 win.
I don't know we beat Austria 2-0 twelve years ago and they just beat Germany!
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #305
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

The major problem with increasing the amount of bad teams in the World Cup is you’re gonna get some insnanely tilted matchups in the group stage. This means that let’s say if an Elite team plays an extremely poor team a player can win the golden boot in pretty much one game. Many groups will be decided by how many goals are scored on the clear weaker team in each group. It’s not fun to watch, I don’t want to see a team like India get pounded by multiple teams in the group stage. I don’t think it will grow the game, what grows the game starts at the ground root level and developing talent properly and creating affordable leagues so every child can play football.

I want to see the best countries play each other throughout the entirety of the tournament. If a country wants to make the World Cup the current qualification methods are more than fair and makes international football interesting the two years preceding the World Cup. Qatar is gonna be a complete #### show.

I’m not even a fan of regional qualifying, but I guess you can’t change it. It’s stupid that Saudi Arabia is in the tournament and Italy is not.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-14-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #306
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
The major problem with increasing the amount of bad teams in the World Cup is you’re gonna get some insnanely tilted matchups in the group stage. This means that let’s say if an Elite team plays an extremely poor team a player can win the golden boot in pretty much one game. Many groups will be decided by how many goals are scored on the clear weaker team in each group. It’s not fun to watch, I don’t want to see a team like India get pounded by multiple teams in the group stage. I don’t think it will grow the game, what grows the game starts at the ground root level and developing talent properly and creating affordable leagues so every child can play football.

I want to see the best countries play each other throughout the entirety of the tournament. If a country wants to make the World Cup the current qualification methods are more than fair and makes international football interesting the two years preceding the World Cup. Qatar is gonna be a complete #### show.

I’m not even a fan of regional qualifying, but I guess you can’t change it. It’s stupid that Saudi Arabia is in the tournament and Italy is not.
Its never going to be perfectly fair.

Saying that Saudi Arabia shouldnt be there because Italy and Holland arent there just flies in the face of the entire 'trying to grow the game' discussion.

Italy were not sufficiently good to win their spot in Europe, they had every chance but lost to Spain and Sweden. It happens.

The Dutch campaign was an unmitigated disaster.

But expanding the tournament is terrible. Its going to get far too diluted. Its like when they expanded the Euros because that one time England didnt qualify.

Some teams take the qualification process for granted. And some teams can get away with it.

Take Germany, they arguably havent played their strongest XI yet but still qualified without breaking a sweat.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-14-2018, 05:32 PM   #307
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Russians are better than I thought they would be. I was expecting a boring 0-0 draw. I guess playing at home helps.

Regarding the expanded tournament I like the idea in theory, and it pretty much guarantees Australia a spot, however I do not like how Europe is being pretty much ignored in the expansion. I'd much rather see Italy, Netherlands, and Austria over New Zealand, Syria, and Uganda.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #308
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
The Russians are better than I thought they would be. I was expecting a boring 0-0 draw. I guess playing at home helps.

Regarding the expanded tournament I like the idea in theory, and it pretty much guarantees Australia a spot, however I do not like how Europe is being pretty much ignored in the expansion. I'd much rather see Italy, Netherlands, and Austria over New Zealand, Syria, and Uganda.
Heres an issue though:

When major countries fail they tend to stop and re-evaluate their programs.

Germany totally revamped their development process.

Brazil after 2014 took a radical shift in their approach realizing that just sheer raw talent wasnt enough.

And maybe Italy and Holland will do the same, but if you make 'just getting in' so easy then doesnt the overall health of the game suffer?

We want to see the big teams because they're the ones with the best players, but at some point you dont get the best until they're challenged, if its all just given then it seems to cheapen things.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:48 PM   #309
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Dammit I couldn't get the TSN site to log into my Telus account so I could watch the game at work...
I'm having the same issue; tells me my password is incorrect even though I can login to my Telus account website just fine.
Let me know if you figure it out.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:02 PM   #310
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many goals did Putin score today?
Old 06-14-2018, 07:09 PM   #311
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
How many goals did Putin score today?
All of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 08:29 PM   #312
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
The major problem with increasing the amount of bad teams in the World Cup is you’re gonna get some insnanely tilted matchups in the group stage. This means that let’s say if an Elite team plays an extremely poor team a player can win the golden boot in pretty much one game. Many groups will be decided by how many goals are scored on the clear weaker team in each group.
Nothwithstanding the larger skill gap, the situation is similar now. The scenario you've occurs when the top two draw their match. The equivalent scenario now is where that happens and they both beat the bottom two, except it's who runs up the score more over two games. As for the golden boot goes, that's mitigated by an extra knockout game.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #313
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Finally watched the game.

Minnows usually can at least park the bus and defend. I've never seen two worse center backs in a world cup game.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 12:40 AM   #314
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much did Russia pay to play the worst team in the tournament in their first game?
The price they paid for the games. The host gets to pick their opponent for the first game from within their group. It's a major reason why the host has only once lost the opening game. (2010).

The host also gets treated as a top country when forming the groups, giving them an easier path to the playoff stage. FIFA wants the host to stay in the games for as long as possible. It's good for the atmosphere of the games.

It's also not just a FIFA thing. Treating the hosts favorably is traditional in I would suspect all sports where that's reasonably possible.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #315
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
The price they paid for the games. The host gets to pick their opponent for the first game from within their group. It's a major reason why the host has only once lost the opening game. (2010).

The host also gets treated as a top country when forming the groups, giving them an easier path to the playoff stage. FIFA wants the host to stay in the games for as long as possible. It's good for the atmosphere of the games.

It's also not just a FIFA thing. Treating the hosts favorably is traditional in I would suspect all sports where that's reasonably possible.
That was a draw:

But South Africa were of course the first host that failed to advance from their group. Being drawn in Pot A is a huge advantage for the hosts for sure.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:04 AM   #316
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

No Mo Salah in the starting XI against Uruguay
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #317
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty awful match so far. At least with Saudi Arabia they have no defense so there was some action. This one is a snoozefest.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:56 AM   #318
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Random bottles of coke yesterday, random bottles of orange juice today. So goofy.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:26 AM   #319
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even a draw today would be considered an upset which I'd be happy about. I wish every game was an upset.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 07:49 AM   #320
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally a goal! Uruguay got off to a slow start but has sure looked good late.

Tags
cry for argentina , diving , it's not coming home , orange slices , var is no good