Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #61
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1418782689965092868
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #62
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

We really need to have a poll about who made the dumbest draft day blunder... I still think it was the Flyers but there are some very strong contenders this year.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:17 PM   #63
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delthefunky View Post
17 year old made a stupid mistake. Wouldn't be the first time.
It's not about him, it's about the victim. He now has no true repercussions for his actions. I mean hey, I guess he got a $1650 dollar fine.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:20 PM   #64
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
With the 63th pick, the Habs are very proud to select Mitchell Miller. Tweet to defend selection to come shortly
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:21 PM   #65
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
Steinberg just said it best.

"You're an organization that's trying to set an example, what example are you trying to make with this pick?"
This.

Sure the kid made a mistake that lots of 17 year olds have likely made, hell I’d be lying if I didn’t have friends that did similar things when we were that age.

But the thing here is that Montreal is in a position to set a better example, especially for the young men that are fans of the team.

I don’t think the kid doesn’t deserve a second chance to play in the NHL someday, but to draft him in the first round tonight is just an abhorrent decision that sets a terrible example.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:36 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teroy View Post
My god. The kid was 17. He screwed up. He admitted it. I wonder if some of you would be happy if he was strung up. Look around sports and tell me you don't see players who have behaved as badly. And many of them repeatedly and adults. No one is condoning his actions but a life's sentence isn't warranted.
There should be some penalty, just another reason not to cheer for those clowns... Canada's team lol
Old 07-23-2021, 10:37 PM   #67
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
It's not about him, it's about the victim. He now has no true repercussions for his actions. I mean hey, I guess he got a $1650 dollar fine.
What do YOU think is fair repercussions for a stupid 17 year old mistake?

Courts of law exist for a reason and it started in Ancient Greece when they realized a court of public opinion wasn’t fair
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:39 PM   #68
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

"A stupid 17 year old mistake".

God that's an offensive minimization of what he did.
He committed a crime against a victim. He intentionally took steps to humiliate her.

And she doesn't believe he's even sorry.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #69
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

Courts of law exist for a reason and it started in Ancient Greece when they realized a court of public opinion wasn’t fair
Ancient Greece? Try ancient Babylon. When Hammurabi said ‘an eye for an eye,’ he was setting a maximum penalty — as opposed to private vengeance leading to blood feuds that might last generations.

Nevertheless, I agree with Jiri, this was more than a ‘stupid mistake’. This was wilfully malicious. I made a stupid 17-year-old mistake when I pulled out in traffic too soon and got my fender clipped by a speeding car. Or when I tried for that girl who was way out of my league. Those are mistakes. This was a crime.

Last edited by Jay Random; 07-23-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #70
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Ancient Greece? Try ancient Babylon. When Hammurabi said ‘an eye for an eye,’ he was setting a maximum penalty — as opposed to private vengeance leading to blood feuds that might last generations.
Sure.

Point remains the same.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:44 PM   #71
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of very serious offences are "stupid mistakes", hardly a defense. Law is constantly struggling to catch up to the times, I don't think mentioning Ancient Greece helps that cause.

I think him not being drafted for a season, which he asked for, would have sufficed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 10:45 PM   #72
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure.

Point remains the same.
To be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with you about that at all. Just mentioning what the alternative to laws and courts is.

I think Mailloux himself suggested a punishment that fit the crime very well. It would serve Montreal right if he refused to sign with them for not respecting his efforts to make amends.

Last edited by Jay Random; 07-23-2021 at 10:47 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:46 PM   #73
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
A lot of very serious offences are "stupid mistakes", hardly a defense. Law is constantly struggling to catch up to the times, I don't think mentioning Ancient Greece helps that cause.

I think him not being drafted for a season, which he asked for, would have sufficed.
Sure but that didn’t happen.

I would reckon that if this kid has a solid head on his shoulders, the threat of that alone should probably lead to him being a model citizen from here on out.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #74
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

terrible move by MTL.

That said, I have no doubt the kid would be drafted at some point...a first round talent isn't going to fall out of the draft completely... someone was going to pick him and deal with the PR fallout after the fact.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 10:47 PM   #75
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure but that didn’t happen.

I would reckon that if this kid has a solid head on his shoulders, the threat of that alone should probably lead to him being a model citizen from here on out.
I'm guessing if he had a solid head on his shoulders, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And what about the most important person in all of this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2021, 11:15 PM   #76
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
To be clear, I wasn't disagreeing with you about that at all. Just mentioning what the alternative to laws and courts is.

I think Mailloux himself suggested a punishment that fit the crime very well. It would serve Montreal right if he refused to sign with them for not respecting his efforts to make amends.
Does anyone actually believe that he didn’t want to be drafted? That’s pure PR spin. This isn’t the NBA or NFL where you declare for the draft. He said words that sound good but meant nothing.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 11:17 PM   #77
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Does anyone actually believe that he didn’t want to be drafted? That’s pure PR spin. This isn’t the NBA or NFL where you declare for the draft. He said words that sound good but meant nothing.
So? If the NHL clubs had taken him at his word, then his words would have meant something and he would have taken a step towards atonement.

What he suggested was a good idea whether he meant it or not.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:36 PM   #78
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I don't like about the pick is that it's Montreal. Bergevin seems to want to just make the controversial choice because of his ego. Some moves are ballsy, but when Bergevin does it it seems to always be to make a point. The end doesn't always justify the means and winning subsequently doesn't mean everything, even in the business of sports. He had a good PR spin on it, but just something about Bergevin always being around controversy rubs me the wrong way on this one. If almost any other team made the selection I think I could be fine with it as a genuine wanting to work with the guy to make sure he didn't do it again, but with Bergevin I wonder if he really cares at all?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 12:09 AM   #79
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Bergevin has always reminded me of the character Frank that Tom Cruise played in the move Magnolia. So this pick is exactly on character.

NSFW!
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 01:09 AM   #80
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I was already feeling completely disgusted with hockey culture after the latest Blackhawks bombshells, and this isn't helping. The league should have removed Mailloux's name from the draft themselves after he requested to not be drafted, instead they get yet more egg on their face because Bergevin is a moron. What a bush league
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote