Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #4821
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Can you share some of the games you’re talking about? I spent most of the year catching up on my backlog so I’m having a hard time even coming up with five.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Throw out some examples? I'm curious if I just missed something
Here are some games I thought were awesome and came out this year:
Metroid Dread
Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
It Takes Two
Death's Door
Psychonauts 2

I've already played Metroid Dread through 3 times so I would call it an easy game of the year choice. A perfect template to carry the Metroid series forward into the future and hopefully an opening to expand what has become a pretty busy indie genre more into the mainstream.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:13 PM   #4822
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I'm like, waaaaay behind the times. I'm finally started to play The Last of Us.... The first one.

Pretty good game so far.

I game so little these days. It took me about 11 months to finish Jedi Fallen Order. I also loved that game. I expect to finish Last of Us by Christmas and then I'll start playing Red Dead Redemption 2.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 04:38 PM   #4823
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a year lacking a masterpiece but there was still a lot of very good games. Psychonauts 2 and Metroid Dread were probably my two favorites.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 05:20 PM   #4824
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every year is a great year for gaming! Nevermind all the new stuff, my backlog is amazing and I'm looking forward to retirement.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 05:56 PM   #4825
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

IGNs top 100 games of all-time

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ign...l-time%3famp=1
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2021, 06:55 PM   #4826
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Psychonauts 2 lived up to the first one and more, it's my GOTY.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 07:09 PM   #4827
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Great IGN article. Hades (I know it's not 2021) but I just enjoyed that video game. Right up there with the Witcher 3. Loved it on the switch
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:40 PM   #4828
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Halo Infinite
Forza Horizon
Ratchet and Clank
RE: Village
Deathloop
Returnal
It takes two
Deaths door
Metroid Dread
Psychonauts 2
Hitmen 3
Tales of Arise

To name some
It takes two was my personal GOTY, but I didn't play most of the above. Forza Horizon 5 is a lot of fun and might be #2 on my list. I had fun playing Halo Infinite but it's more of a 7 or 8/10 type game. I didn't care for the combat in Psychonauts 2 but the story was great.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:58 PM   #4829
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Contracts 2 is pretty neat, having fun with it.

The missions vary between long range sniping where you have to do everything with your gun and normal missions where you sneak around your objectives.

There's environmental stuff and a bit of puzzle solving in the long range ones; disable the AC to draw out someone from inside to expose something to shoot inside.

There's also some neat challenges, one I killed a guy by crushing him with a car up on a repair hoist. The challenges seem to encourage replaying a level. There can be multiple ways to kill the primary target, some needing to raise no alarms, some by setting off an explosion, etc.

The sniping mechanics can be as simple or as complex as you want too, have to adjust for bullet drop and wind and such.

The stealth is probably too forgiving; it can take a good 7-8 seconds for someone to go from starting to seeing you to shooting at you, and you can literally run away. But it does simulate the fact a "silencer" doesn't make your gun silent. You can still get guys searching for you after using your sniper rifle or pistol too close to someone.

And the goals can be vague or difficult to remember sometimes; you have to pay attention to the mission briefs.

But overall not a bad game, scratching the stealth and shooter itch after being hugely disappointed with CoD Black Ops Cold War.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 06:13 AM   #4830
SoulOfTheFlame
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Happy to have one of mine on there

SoulOfTheFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoulOfTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 10:04 AM   #4831
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulOfTheFlame View Post
Happy to have one of mine on there
Black Flag?
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:21 PM   #4832
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Disco Elysium is not the 10th best game of all time
Old 01-03-2022, 02:30 PM   #4833
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Final Fantasy XIV isn't 30th either, regardless of how much I enjoy it. There's no definitive list anywhere of the best games of all time. All you can do is review them all and draw your own conclusions from them.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:48 PM   #4834
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
So, I'm like, waaaaay behind the times. I'm finally started to play The Last of Us.... The first one.

Pretty good game so far.

I game so little these days. It took me about 11 months to finish Jedi Fallen Order. I also loved that game. I expect to finish Last of Us by Christmas and then I'll start playing Red Dead Redemption 2.
If it takes you until Christmas to finish Last of Us it’s going to take you four years to finish RDR2
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 02:53 PM   #4835
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Final Fantasy XIV isn't 30th either, regardless of how much I enjoy it. There's no definitive list anywhere of the best games of all time. All you can do is review them all and draw your own conclusions from them.
It's a matter of opinion for sure but that one really sticks out... especially being such a new game. It's like the boring artistic movie that nobody actually wants to watch but wins awards from people trying to look smart.

For the record it's a good game, 10th best all time is laughable
Old 01-03-2022, 03:15 PM   #4836
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rocket League and Stardew Valley didn't even get listed and those would make my personal top 10 of all time, let alone top 100.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 01-03-2022, 11:29 PM   #4837
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
... It actually might be. I mean it's arguably the best conceived, best written game of all time. Gameplay-wise, of course not, but it really depends on how you weigh certain factors. If we're talking entertainment value you get one list, if you're talking video games as an art medium you get another. This list is neither of course, because it's trying to be both at the same time, which is why these things never work.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:14 PM   #4838
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished GOTG. Fun game. Nothing too deep, just solid entertainment and doesn't overstay its welcome - which there was a risk of because the team combat system, while done reasonably well, ends up being a little repetitive on harder difficulties when I found I was in many cases just trying to kite enemies while reviving my teammates and waiting for their abilities to re-charge.

Story wise it was pretty good, although I did think it seemed a bit odd how - as far as I can tell not being a comic reader - they eschewed both the films AND the comics and created a sort of third universe? Maybe this is going to be a thing now; I didn't play the Avengers game so I don't know if this is typical.

In any case, I'm totally fine with them doing that, because the PS5 GOTG version of Mantis is clearly the best version of Mantis.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #4839
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
PS5 GOTG version of Mantis is clearly the best version of Mantis.
Agree, she was probably my favourite part of the game.
Old 01-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #4840
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Finished GOTG. Fun game. Nothing too deep, just solid entertainment and doesn't overstay its welcome - which there was a risk of because the team combat system, while done reasonably well, ends up being a little repetitive on harder difficulties when I found I was in many cases just trying to kite enemies while reviving my teammates and waiting for their abilities to re-charge.

Story wise it was pretty good, although I did think it seemed a bit odd how - as far as I can tell not being a comic reader - they eschewed both the films AND the comics and created a sort of third universe? Maybe this is going to be a thing now; I didn't play the Avengers game so I don't know if this is typical.

In any case, I'm totally fine with them doing that, because the PS5 GOTG version of Mantis is clearly the best version of Mantis.
That's exactly the same as the Avengers and Spider-Man games. They take some inspiration from the movies, but storywise they're in their own universes
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote