Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 07-21-2021, 12:39 PM   #5961
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some interesting rT numbers out of Imgrund

https://mobile.twitter.com/imgrund/s...823304/photo/1

One might argue that stampede caused the Calgary spike but I think it’s more nuanced than that as BC is at 1.14. If you go back to Jul 7 before Stampede started BC was about .1 ahead of Alberta then as well.

It’s tough to tell if this is the start of the exponential Delta growth in western Canada or just noise it R-value casued by sub 1 case per 100k per day case numbers.

Last edited by GGG; 07-21-2021 at 12:43 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #5962
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...inated-deaths/

Of the 8,787 people who have died in Texas due to COVID-19 since early February, at least 43 were fully vaccinated, the Texas Department of State Health Services said.

That means 99.5% of people who died due to COVID-19 in Texas from Feb. 8 to July 14 were unvaccinated, while 0.5% were the result of “breakthrough infections,” which DSHS defines as people who contracted the virus two weeks after being fully vaccinated.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:31 PM   #5963
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...inated-deaths/

Of the 8,787 people who have died in Texas due to COVID-19 since early February, at least 43 were fully vaccinated, the Texas Department of State Health Services said.

That means 99.5% of people who died due to COVID-19 in Texas from Feb. 8 to July 14 were unvaccinated, while 0.5% were the result of “breakthrough infections,” which DSHS defines as people who contracted the virus two weeks after being fully vaccinated.
And I would bet (and it's annoying the media isn't reporting this enough) that of those 43, nearly all had co-morbidities, were 80+ years old, etc.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 08:52 PM   #5964
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the US is now seeing the fastest case growth of the entire pandemic, with a 10-day doubling time. This logarithmic chart makes it pretty clear:

https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...e&country=~USA
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 10:06 PM   #5965
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

'I'm sorry, but it's too late' - unvaccinated patients beg for shot

Quote:
An Alabama physician glumly says she is making "a lot of progress" in encouraging people to vaccinate – as she struggles to keep them alive.

Dr. Brytney Cobia, a hospitalist at Grandview Medical Center in Birmingham, wrote in a recent Facebook post she is treating a lot of young, otherwise healthy people for serious coronavirus infections.

"One of the last things they do before they're intubated is beg me for the vaccine," she wrote. "I hold their hand and tell them that I'm sorry, but it's too late."

In her post, Cobia wrote that when a patient dies, she hugs their family members and urges them to get vaccinated. She said they cry and tell her they thought the pandemic was a "hoax," or "political," or targeting some other age group or skin color.

"They wish they could go back. But they can't," Cobia wrote. "So they thank me and they go get the vaccine. And I go back to my office, write their death note, and say a small prayer that this loss will save more lives."
https://ca.yahoo.com/news/johnson-jo...080034738.html
Old 07-22-2021, 07:39 AM   #5966
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps we could motivate people to get the vaccine(unless medically excused) by taxing their CERB payments at 75% retroactively. Why should they get those benefits if they don't want to be part of the solution?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #5967
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/imgrund/s...682176/photo/1

So Calgary rT up to 1.42, Alberta 1.19 BC 1.14.

If the R-value drops starting on about Sunday then we can be pretty sure it’s Stampede related. Whether grounds or general activity is impossible to tell.

Flames games might be a challenge to have regularly if the tents were driving spread.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #5968
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Test positivity rate is spiking in many tourist destinations in US. Clark County (that includes Vegas) now 'boasts' 13.5% test positivity rate. County council response is to require employees to mask indoors but voted overwhelmingly against any mask mandate for patrons. Delta is about 80% of all new cases in Clark County. Nevada has 64% of adults with a single dose and 54% of adults fully vaccinated.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:52 AM   #5969
Amethyst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

If the R-value drops starting on about Sunday then we can be pretty sure it’s Stampede related. Whether grounds or general activity is impossible to tell.

Flames games might be a challenge to have regularly if the tents were driving spread.
Yikes! This pandemic is FAR from over, despite what Jason Kenney says. It's so reassuring to have a premier, who you know will ignore what's happening until it's too late.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #5970
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's pretty much inevitable that we'll see a spike, as almost everywhere else is, or is trending that way. Hopefully it's slowed and muted by our high vaccination rate.
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #5971
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

If everyone on your street bought the same car a week apart and each week a different neighbours car blew up, you'd probably take your car into to get looked at.

Most governments during Covid just keep driving their car around and hope they got the one that won't blow up this time.

And it is possible it won't blow up this time in Canada. We have a high vaccination level. We are using the best of the best in terms of vaccines for the most part. Maybe our delayed 2nd doses will give us more protection than the US. But you'd still think you'd do something that might improve your chances.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 12:22 PM   #5972
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Open for Summer, ####ed in the fall.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:43 PM   #5973
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Would be great to get unvaccinated vs vaccinated case numbers...but of course we will never get them.

The issue with cases being so low, all it takes is one person with covid at a party of 50 unvacccinated in a house party to spread it to the 50 people there, making our cases jump.

The spike is not surprising, it's just a matter of time for spread to occur within the anti-vaccer fools.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #5974
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
The only thing to figure out is kids.

Zero people under 20 have died in Alberta from COVID, but I'd like to know how bad some of those hospitalizations got and how many are dealing with long term effects.

Wearing masks, staying at home etc was to buy time for the vaccine. Everyone has had their chance now... except the kids.

I find myself torn on how careful I should be. Are kids at roughly the same risk going to a Flames game now as they are in a typical flu season? Or is it significantly worse? I find it difficult to assess what behaviours are in line within our typical accepted level of risk, and what actions I may take that could put others (kids) in undue risk at this time.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #5975
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
The newest single by The Hold Steady.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2021, 01:00 PM   #5976
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Would be great to get unvaccinated vs vaccinated case numbers...but of course we will never get them.
Some places give them, Nova Scotia is one. But it's not always an accurate reflection of the vaccine's effect, since the groups aren't necessarily subject to the same conditions and may be more or less likely to get tested.

Look at Israel, 84% of their adult cases last week were in fully vaccinated people, including 93% of cases in 60+ year olds. So just breaking down case numbers by vaccine status isn't really all that helpful and can easily have the opposite of the intended effect.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #5977
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The newest single by The Hold Steady.
To all the snivelling indie kids.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:22 PM   #5978
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The issue with cases being so low, all it takes is one person with covid at a party of 50 unvacccinated in a house party to spread it to the 50 people there, making our cases jump.

The spike is not surprising, it's just a matter of time for spread to occur within the anti-vaccer fools.
You still have hundreds of thousands of people with 1 dose protection or only recent 2nd dose protection. There's going to be a decent number of cases flying around for the next month because this open for summer plan didn't take the extra 2-3 weeks to roll out safely when more people had decent antibodies. All so fatty could flip some pancakes and put on his cowboy hat.

The good news is that in Alberta we should easily be looking at roughly 70% of the eligible population with 2 doses for 14 or more days when school and indoor life becomes a reality again. I'd be surprised if numbers get anywhere close to where they are in other countries after this point but it certainly wouldn't hurt if the 20-30 crowd would step up and get dosed. Still way too many without even a single dose in that age group that will be passing Covid around to younger siblings and/or vulnerable people.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 07-22-2021 at 02:24 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 02:26 PM   #5979
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Perhaps we could motivate people to get the vaccine(unless medically excused) by taxing their CERB payments at 75% retroactively. Why should they get those benefits if they don't want to be part of the solution?
I think if you don't have a 1st dose of the vaccine by August 1st (and you don't have a pre-existing condition), you should be forced to pay out of pocket for any medical expenses you incur relating to the treatment of an infection. Still your choice but the system shouldn't be burdened financially for it.

I'd suspect this would get the old 1st dose numbers up in a hurry.
Old 07-22-2021, 02:52 PM   #5980
cgy-sk-import
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:

Kinda funny that you just posted this today... and here's the response:

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...ccine-outcomes

As I said on the vaccine thread, pretty obvious that vaccines are W O R K I N G.
cgy-sk-import is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cgy-sk-import For This Useful Post: