Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-07-2019, 03:37 PM   #3201
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I’d bet ego.

Real mixed emotions here. Want to fault the Fury for pretending they are better than CanPL and it’s clubs.

At the same time, the CSA and CanPL have don’t inspire a ton of confidence right now. Starting to feel questionable whether CanPL has any aspirations beyond being Bob Young’s toy and a youth development springboard to attempt to avoid embarrassment in 2026. I’d like to be wrong, but I can see why OSEG might not want to play ball.
I am as bitter about the result as anyone, but besides from a wonky spring fall split and a lame trophy has the league been bad? Attendance seems fine, quality of competition seems fine, parity could use work and more teams would be nice.

It has to be that OSEG wanted special treatment ie break and make rules and got none. Maybe that is Bob Young's fault but I don't think the league is 'unfair'.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 11-07-2019 at 03:42 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #3202
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am as bitter about the result as anyone but besides from a wonky spring fall split and a lame trophy has the league been bad. Attendance seems fine, quality of competition seems fine, parity could use work and more teams would be nice.

It has to be that OSEG wanted special treatment ie break and make rules and got none. Maybe that is Bob Young's fault but I don't think the league is 'unfair'.
The attendance has been good here, but in other places it's rather poor. I jumped at the chance to renew, but we all know that Spruce Meadows has done things well (including solving initial problems). Would I buy tickets in Edmonton/Winnipeg/Hamilton/York? Not a chance. Part of it is poor product, but part of that is horrific atmosphere.

And the actual structure of the league has to be changed. I still stand by my comment that this was a farce. It's ridiculous that based on a two-match final (that never should have happened in the first place) that Forge are champions and get everything that comes with that. We all know that the Cavalry were the true champions and best team in the league this season. If anything that should have been a two-game intra-squad game for the fans to enjoy and we could prepare for cup matches again next year. So yeah...I do think that the league has some work to do on that front!

And for gods sake, get a legitimate cup for a trophy. Let Forge keep that microwave plate or ashtray or whatever that was.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 03:55 PM   #3203
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is 100% on the Fury and no other party.

They had a chance to enter CPL and chose not to. They knew they had risks with sanctioning after CONCACAF denied sanctioning and chose to go ahead with USL. I think this is the excuse OSEG needed to bail on the club while saving face by blaming everyone but themselves.

I feel bad for their fans but not for the club.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #3204
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slava - Yeah, it's annoying to think that Forge was pretty much handed a spot in the CONCACAF League right off the bat, they were immediately birthed into the quarterfinals of the Canadian Championship over other teams, they squeaked out a victory in a meaningless two-game series (in which Borges' red card was overturned while Waterman's wasn't, even though Borges play was infinitely more unsafe and intentional), and placed second to the Cavs in both the Spring and Summer tables.

Add in the racist coach incident that the CSA didn't want to deal with, and it's crystal clear that Forge were spoon-fed their opportunities this year as the league's favourite child!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #3205
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Slava - Yeah, it's annoying to think that Forge was pretty much handed a spot in the CONCACAF League right off the bat, they were immediately birthed into the quarterfinals of the Canadian Championship over other teams, they squeaked out a victory in a meaningless two-game series (in which Borges' red card was overturned while Waterman's wasn't, even though Borges play was infinitely more unsafe and intentional), and placed second to the Cavs in both the Spring and Summer tables.

Add in the racist coach incident that the CSA didn't want to deal with, and it's crystal clear that Forge were spoon-fed their opportunities this year as the league's favourite child!
I couldn’t agree more. As an investor, this behaviour would cause me serious concern. I think a lot of this is on CSA too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #3206
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
As one team has already received special treatment (to what extent may be a question of judgment), the precedent is already set that CanPL and CSA might bend if you play a strong enough hand.

That falls on the feet of CSA and the league admin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #3207
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have an idea of house much money each team gets from the Mediapro deal, could it be substantially less then USL teams get from ESPN?
Old 11-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #3208
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Will One Soccer do all the games again with such limited viewership and thus limited potential resources?
Wait, you got ahold of numbers for OneSoccer?! Please share, as they've been completely silent publicly, as far as I know.
Old 11-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #3209
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could the folding of Ottawa just a be procedural thing? Maybe folding lets them get out of any contracts and obligations with the USL, clearing the way for a fresh start with CanPL.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:25 PM   #3210
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Could the folding of Ottawa just a be procedural thing? Maybe folding lets them get out of any contracts and obligations with the USL, clearing the way for a fresh start with CanPL.
I wonder about that, but I'm beginning to think that Fury are actually done.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #3211
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Wait, you got ahold of numbers for OneSoccer?! Please share, as they've been completely silent publicly, as far as I know.
Would have to search Reddit for it, but there was a few tweets that noted viewership for many games wasn't good. Like, hundreds. They need to sell more games to CBC. Use it as promotion for the OTT service.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #3212
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yikes
Old 11-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #3213
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the Fury, again, time to note that the Fury owner John Pugh is one of the 14 CSA board members. Really good Ambassador for Canadian soccer for sticking with the bright lights of the USL as Canada starts it’s own league. Serves them right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I don’t think it’s a surprise they are low, when we get 5k people in stands for the Final in ideal weather for the best team in the country, it’s not as if there are thousands with a One Soccer subscription in this city tuning in.
It would not surprise me in the least that game coverage gets cut back next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
What? I wouldnt consider it common, especially not with respect to the primary table.

Copa Libertadores and Coppa Italia are both side-tournaments independent of the main League Table.

I dont think any World League outside of MLS has an actual League playoff format.
Sarcasm my good man. CSA purporting to know world soccer trends is laughable.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:23 AM   #3214
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's official, the Fury are suspending operations. They blame the lack of sanctioning for the decision. All they had to do was move to CPL, who were willing to make significant concessions to the club to bring them in.

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/

Old 11-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #3215
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default 2019 Cavalry FC season thread

John Pugh May have the greatest signature of all time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanStrandedInEDM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #3216
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
It's official, the Fury are suspending operations. They blame the lack of sanctioning for the decision. All they had to do was move to CPL, who were willing to make significant concessions to the club to bring them in.

https://www.ottawafuryfc.com/
It's crazy that they would rather suspend operations than join the CPL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:02 AM   #3217
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Sounds like sour grapes. But if the CPL continues to grow, Ottawa is too large of a market to ignore. Fans will not allow it, especially if teams are popping up in Ontario and Quebec, which we are not out of the realm of seeing Quebec City, Montreal, and Mississauga coming in the near future.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:07 AM   #3218
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really sounds like a fight between two really sleazy and egotistical sides.

If what the Fury are saying is true, CSA was underhanded and devious to them. Of course, pretending that CanPL is anything less than USL's equal is hubris as well (unless they neuter the league with too many U23 Canadian rules to make it PDL +).

Not surprising, Canada Soccer really is filled with self interested, arrogant and ignorant people. We're very fortunate that we have an ownership group like the Southern family and that they are willing to do business with these people.

Last edited by Thunderball; 11-08-2019 at 09:12 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #3219
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe I'm just a silver lining kind of guy, but getting this ownership group out of the way might be better in the long run for the CanPL, the fans in Ottawa, etc.

The real win-win would have been a healthy Ottawa franchise making some tweaks and coming over to CanPL. But maybe letting it die so something entirely new can take its place will be better in the long run.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #3220
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Listened to the press conference, and it really sounds like OSEG didn't like the people involved, and refused to cooperate. They seemed to be careful not to disparage CanPL, but they also said they weren't going to sign up with a league that provided them with a "ransom note." That was extremely telling.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge