Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2018, 05:40 AM   #181
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've spent the last few days going through the 1700 pictures that my wife and I took on vacation. It's much more enjoyable than I thought the task was going to be, sorting through and organizing them all.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:06 AM   #182
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've spent the last few days going through the 1700 pictures that my wife and I took on vacation. It's much more enjoyable than I thought the task was going to be, sorting through and organizing them all.
Did you actually see anything outside the lens of a camera? 1700 photos seems a little on the high side.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:12 AM   #183
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Did you actually see anything outside the lens of a camera? 1700 photos seems a little on the high side.
That's between the both of us. We spent 10 days in a city that very heavily invites a lot of picture-taking. We are also in the habit of taking 2-3 shots, to make sure that at least one comes out very well.

I'm down to the last couple hundred of my wife's shots. I've got about 800 'keeper' shots so far.

We also both enjoy photography.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:13 AM   #184
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's between the both of us. We spent 10 days in a city that very heavily invites a lot of picture-taking. We are also in the habit of taking 2-3 shots, to make sure that one comes out very well.

I'm down to the last couple hundred of my wife's shots. I've got about 800 'keeper' shots so far.

Thats cool man...you do you!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #185
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thats cool man...you do you!
Thanks! It was an amazing trip, and one we'd been looking forward to for nearly a year. Going back to work tomorrow. Always hurts when vacations gotta end.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:18 AM   #186
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks! It was an amazing trip, and one we'd been looking forward to for nearly a year. Going back to work tomorrow. Always hurts when vacations gotta end.
Where did you go? I'm always getting elbowed in the ribs to always 'take more pictures!'

Old 11-05-2018, 08:25 AM   #187
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where did you go? I'm always getting elbowed in the ribs to always 'take more pictures!'
To Rome. I used to get the 'take more pictures!' thing too. Then I realized that I do actually like taking pictures, and with digital cameras and phones (we just packed along our phones for this one) it's a lot easier to 'justify' taking pictures.

So we both take a lot (and got burned several times, hence why we try to take 2-3 per 'shot') and then pare them down to the ones we really like. It's also neat seeing what my wife likes and focuses on, as opposed to me.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:28 AM   #188
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, while we did take a lot, I think what helps speed up the process for us is that we don't look at or assess or care about the photos after taken at that point. We take the shot, then enjoy looking around. We don't do any processing or assessing until after the trip.

I saw a lot of folks take a pic, look at it, decide on it, take a pic, look at it, delete it, try again, sort of stuff. We just shoot and go.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #189
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's between the both of us. We spent 10 days in a city that very heavily invites a lot of picture-taking. We are also in the habit of taking 2-3 shots, to make sure that at least one comes out very well.

I usually try to do a first purge while sitting on trains or planes for these types of shots, and getting rid of blurry ones. I'm usually at about 900 for a 2-3 week trip then get that down to 600 or so before I get home. From that I'll process about 200 of them. 1700 would be daunting to start with!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #190
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the other end of the spectrum, there's something nice to taking it slow. After doing the spray-and-pray approach for a lot of years with my DSLR, now I take my film camera instead on vacations, and have been forced to slow way down. Every shot needs to be considered, because there are 10 frames a roll, and it ends up being about $3 per frame after all is said and done.

It's nice to go back and forth, but the film photos are immensely more satisfying. In the end, I get less shots but about 70% of my shots are keepers. I feel like with digital it was more like 1/20.

Plus if I dont have my camera stapled to my face, I can enjoy the actual experience more.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #191
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I usually try to do a first purge while sitting on trains or planes for these types of shots, and getting rid of blurry ones. I'm usually at about 900 for a 2-3 week trip then get that down to 600 or so before I get home. From that I'll process about 200 of them. 1700 would be daunting to start with!
I prefer to look at the pics and start the purge on my desktop. I have never liked working on my phone, so I tend to keep the work for my desktop.

I ended up with 876 'keeper' shots. Honestly, this is pretty high for the both of us, too. But having visited the Vatican Museum, St. Peters Basilica and the Colosseum as well as a couple other museums and art sites the shots really added up.
Old 11-05-2018, 10:34 AM   #192
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

What makes me happy is no more Jays baseball on the Fan960, and the station force feeding us with all their non stop ads, discussions, and crappy games in the evening on my drive home. Free from baseball until next year. Glorious.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 01:37 PM   #193
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Universe's Karmic Cookie Conspiracy is alive and well - yesterday I gave cookies to some colleagues, and today some members gave cookies to me, which I shared. Cookies make people happy. Sharing cookies makes people happy. I'm happy for cookies.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:50 PM   #194
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mcc...ison-1.4897105

This child killer has been sent back to jail. She should never have been sent where she was in the first place, but justice prevailed in this instance at least.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:03 PM   #195
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
What makes me happy is no more Jays baseball on the Fan960, and the station force feeding us with all their non stop ads, discussions, and crappy games in the evening on my drive home. Free from baseball until next year. Glorious.
+1

They should never broadcast the Jays or Hitmen on NFL Sundays (unless they are in the playoffs).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:13 PM   #196
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iron Maiden is coming back to Calgary. I could not be any happier!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 07:44 AM   #197
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just noticed how much less people are happy on this forum rather than having their gears ground so I’m just going to say I’m happy I woke up this morning.

Also, my father passed away 3 years ago December and we’re finally cleaning out his shop which makes me really happy as I think he’d be proud of the progress we’re making.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 AM   #198
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Long weekends make me happy. Our schedules are so busy nowadays that to have 3ish days of being at home together as a family is a huge deal for us.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #199
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I just noticed how much less people are happy on this forum rather than having their gears ground so I’m just going to say I’m happy I woke up this morning.

Also, my father passed away 3 years ago December and we’re finally cleaning out his shop which makes me really happy as I think he’d be proud of the progress we’re making.
Plus old people tend to hoard cool stuff!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 11:26 AM   #200
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw the Arkona/ Korpiklaani show last night which was AWESOME!

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote