Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #81
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
What do you think about Stringer? I agree with Addison, you could see right away that he was going to be a difference maker. Same with Cozens when he came up late in the season and made an impact in the playoffs as a 16 year old. You knew he was going to be good.

I'm not sold on Stringer. I see some good skills but whenever I see him he seems slow and not really a strong skater.

Yeah Stringer is no Cozens, but Cozens is a special, special player so that's not really a knock. Kisio is certainly not shy about giving him a ton of opportunity though. Hopefully it pays off down the road.

Hopefully Stringer can improve his skating, as you say it is not great. But at only 16 years old improvements can certainly be made. I think he will be a strong player, but he likely won't be a top 10 WHL scorer at 17, or a league leading scorer at 18 after being drafted to the NHL in the 1st round.

It's a shame Anholt didn't snap up Sillinger in that draft instead, as he is as good as Cozens and is well on his way to being a top 10 NHL draft pick in 2021.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2019, 01:11 PM   #82
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm a bit biased on Stringer as I've dealt with him growing up from the officiating side. Last night too I was watching him closely to see how he would do with the increased ice time and situations. I was shocked when they put him on the 5-3 PK, and he made a bad switch which almost resulted in a back door open net (the guy whiffed on the shot).

I've said it before that he plays a soft game. To be an elite sniper in the WHL you need to get a little dirty once in a while. It's why Cozens had such an impact from the start as he was big, strong and a little gritty to go with his hands. I still think that Nash will end up being the more prominent player in the long run just due to his style of game. Doesn't have the hands that Stringer does, but will give himself more opportunities without needing help from others.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2019, 08:45 AM   #83
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, after a strong showing mid-week against Saskatoon and PA, Tigers lose back-to-back games on the weekend to Red Deer and Edmonton (7-1 spanking by the Oil Kings last night).

Last edited by dash_pinched; 12-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2019, 01:45 PM   #84
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fun first half of the season so far.

Rockets hold a 18-11-3 record at the break, which is about expected.

Reasons for optimism: the tough part of the schedule is behind them and they have more home games in the 2nd half. They've also battled injuries and are down three top-six forwards right now so once healthy things should get better.

Reasons for pessimism: the team looks visually awful. Adam Foote's implemented a 1-3-1 trap system that never possesses the puck 5v5 so its hard watching a Memorial Cup host team chip pucks out and give possession back. There's two 40+ goal scorers up front but they don't get chances unless it's on the PP.

Moves: The Rockets have traded for Matthew Wedman, a big centreman draft pick of the Panthers. They've also acquired Jadon Joseph, a fast, smart gritty centreman. They are extremely deep down the middle now with those two and Alex Swetlikoff. On defense, they've landed Conner McDonald from Dumpsville who is an offensive puck-moving type that attended Senators camp

Thoughts:

-Wedman wasn't the right guy to get. The team desperately needs playmakers up front, not another big banger who finishes better than he distributes. It seems Bruce and Foote are all-in on trying to recreate the 2004 team that won every game 1-0 or 2-1. It's a big strong team up front now but still needs at least one more distributor that can aid in breakouts and using vision to create good looks for the finishers.

-Conner McDonald fills a massive need. He's fast, smart and sees the ice well. Kaedan Korczak might be a 2nd round pick of the Knights but he just doesn't have the DNA to run a powerplay - he overthinks and doesn't distribute quickly or comfortably enough. He also doesn't shoot enough and seems scared of not getting them through traffic. McDonald can now be the go-to guy on the PP and can actually drive offense instead of just chipping pucks out like most of the other dmen on the team.

-There'll be a decision to make when Kyle Topping comes back from injury - either him of Joseph will have to go as the extra 20. Have to think Topping will be the odd man out, perhaps there's the chance of moving him to another contender and recouping a pick to help with getting a guy like Luka Burzan.

-The Rockets have traded four 1st round picks now, as well as several 2nds and 3rds. However they haven't had to deal a single prospect, keeping that prized crop of 15s and 16s intact. They have a lot of good 18s this year that'll return next season and could be dealt to recoup those picks and actually emerge from this run relatively unscathed for the future. You hate to see a 2013 Saskatoon Blades situation where the future gets absolutely decimated just to augment a bad team for one tournament. The new trade rules preventing signed prospects and 16s/17s from being traded is probably a blessing in disguise - they've been forced to trade only picks which can be recouped. They still own their 2020 1st rounder which will undoubtedly be dangled for additional help before the 10th of January. Ideally looking for a guy like Burzan and one more depth defenseman.

-Will be happy to see Adam Foote take off after this year. Junior teams shouldn't have to play the trap. Let the kids have fun and play to score - it's better to watch as well.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 10:15 PM   #85
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes hanging in there alright so far. They've won 2 of 3 against the Hitmen and didn't slip in their 2 games vs Swift in the absence of the big 3.

Barlage has really stepped up with the expanded role, and they are also getting more contributions from Thacker, Wheatcroft and Jones. Really good to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 12:36 PM   #86
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty significant trsde by the Oil Kings acquiring Beck Warm this morning. An already solid roster got even better.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #87
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
Pretty significant trsde by the Oil Kings acquiring Beck Warm this morning. An already solid roster got even better.
OKs needed a goalie after Scott walked away from the team before Christmas. Warm is a good pick up for insurance and it will be interesting to see if he can take the net away from Cossa.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:36 PM   #88
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
As a fan of the OKs can someone give me an opinion of this trade? I know they need a goalie but I don’t know much about these players. I think the OKs feel they can contend so they’re probably adding pieces that can take them in that direction.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #89
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

As I think of it the Oil Kings think they will contend for the league title and this trade adds some important pieces without sacrificing next season when they’ll be stronger and perhaps a favourite.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 04:05 PM   #90
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The OKs are in 1st place right now, never mind next year.
Old 01-01-2020, 10:08 PM   #91
Red John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
As a fan of the OKs can someone give me an opinion of this trade? I know they need a goalie but I don’t know much about these players. I think the OKs feel they can contend so they’re probably adding pieces that can take them in that direction.
Warm is overrated and not a great goalie.

He does well on busy nights facing 40+ shots but will easily allow 4 on 20 shots the next night. Probably not a good fit on a strong team that won't let him get peppered.

Cossa is probably a better goalie already. Warm is nice veteran insurance in playoffs if the young guy falters, but it seems dumb to waste a 20 slot on a guy that doesn't play every game.
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?
Red John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #92
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Hitmen have traded James Malm and a couple of picks to the Americans for Kyle Olson.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:37 PM   #93
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As for their season, the Hitmen have been super inconsistent and they still struggle within the division. Lost 5 of 8 to Edmonton, lost 2 of 3 to the Canes, lost to RD and SC but have beat the Tigers 2 out of 3. Finishing in the first wild card spot is a good place to finish.
Old 01-06-2020, 02:23 PM   #94
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hurricanes have apparently released overage forward DJay Jerome. Not sure what the deal is there.

They've also traded a 4th round pick to the Rebels for overage forward Brett Davis to take Jeromes spot.

This will be Davis' second stint with Canes, he was originally drafted by Lethbridge.

Anyways, this takes me back to my question a while ago, ehy the hell did Anholt ever trade Zane Franklin two off seasons ago? Zane had been coming along real nice with thr Canes, and would have been fine as a 19 year old last year, and would sure as hel be nice to have as the 20 year old forward now. 3rd in the league in scoring, and 1 point out of 1st. Love Anholt, but that one is a real head scratcher.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2020, 03:50 PM   #95
gordo67
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Warriors fired Tim Hunter today
gordo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #96
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo67 View Post
Warriors fired Tim Hunter today
And just traded for PA's goalie. Maybe we will see Evanoff move to a contender.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 01:22 PM   #97
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess Jadon Joseph wasn't a fit in Kelowna as hes been dealt to TC for picks. This will be the 6th team he will play for in just over one calendar year. Lethbridge, Regina, Vancouver, Moose Jaw, Kelowna and now Tri City.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:17 PM   #98
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Moose Jaw and Victoria with a big 5 player, 6 pick deal that sees Brayden Tracey and Adam Evanoff on their way to Victoria. Surprised to see the Warriors trade Tracey even on the downswing as hes just 18.

Brayden Tracey
Adam Evanoff
4th Rnd. ’20
5th Rnd. ’23

For

Brock Gould
Nolan Jones
Logan Doust
1st Rnd. ’21
3rd Rnd. ’20
2nd Rnd. ’22
4th Rnd. ’22

Last edited by Roof-Daddy; 01-09-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #99
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good grief, Vancouver just traded a 2020 1st and 2021 2nd to Saskatoon for 2000 born forward Eric Florchuk.

They are 0.514 points percentage, 4th in their division and quite a ways back of Vic, Kelowna and Kamploops. Really weird time to trade high picks for a 19 year old who isnt even point per game.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #100
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The Hitmen have lost dman Egor Zumala for the season with a back injury. That is a big loss for the Hitmen.