Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-25-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Take a photo maybe. That would help the police and probably get rid of the guy at the same time.
Wish I had, things happened so fast he was halfway down the block within seconds. I have a hip injury im rehabing no real condition to chase after him either.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #22
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I’m not sure it’s much of a public safety issue, definitely not one that you should take it upon yourself to declare when you’ve already informed the police.

It’s not like the guy is hard to find. Pretty sure I saw him last night (unless there were multiple dudes riding a bike around barking “cigarette?” at people yesterday near that gas station). Didn’t throw anything. Didn’t seem to pose a threat to anyone.

Spreading the information on the internet will not help get him off the street. That’s my two cents at least. Let the police deal with it.
And discussing the Flames on ice performance on this forum won’t make them play better. So what’s the point in discussing anything?

I, for one, appreciate knowing this so I’d avoid that shell station
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #23
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’m not sure it’s much of a public safety issue, definitely not one that you should take it upon yourself to declare when you’ve already informed the police.

It’s not like the guy is hard to find. Pretty sure I saw him last night (unless there were multiple dudes riding a bike around barking “cigarette?” at people yesterday near that gas station). Didn’t throw anything. Didn’t seem to pose a threat to anyone.

Spreading the information on the internet will not help get him off the street. That’s my two cents at least. Let the police deal with it.
Terrible take.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheSutterDynasty For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #24
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

So you know of the guy, and he’s in the area frequently... but you don’t believe people in that area should know about it?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
So you know of the guy, and he’s in the area frequently... but you don’t believe people in that area should know about it?
That’s not what I said, I said it would not help get him off the street.

It’s helpful to be aware of something, I just think it’s dramatic to call it a public safety issue, in the sense that it can cause adverse reactions. You do not have to avoid the area to be safe, for example, and I find this sort of thing can encourage people to take justice into their own hands, which is not safe.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That’s not what I said, I said it would not help get him off the street.

It’s helpful to be aware of something, I just think it’s dramatic to call it a public safety issue, in the sense that it can cause adverse reactions. You do not have to avoid the area to be safe, for example, and I find this sort of thing can encourage people to take justice into their own hands, which is not safe.
A random dude is throwing rocks at passers-by. What would you call it?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

A nic fit.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #28
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
And discussing the Flames on ice performance on this forum won’t make them play better. So what’s the point in discussing anything?

I, for one, appreciate knowing this so I’d avoid that shell station
Yes! Good point.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:15 PM   #29
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

It’s never the criminals fault. Always the victims. A common and unfortunate trend in today’s world.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #30
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other news: Bubble Wrap Sales Skyrocketing!
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 02:49 PM   #31
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I honestly did not expect “let the police handle it” and the basic idea of “innocent until proven guilty” would be controversial. My bad.

I guess he’s a convicted criminal now because of one guy’s story which doesn’t even add up enough for anyone to make a clear judgement.

Like what are y’all going to do if you see a scraggly guy on a bike near chinook? Call the police? And say what? “A guy on the Internet said he threw a rock at him.”? Or you’re just going to... confront him? Honest question. How should we go about getting this guy off the street?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #32
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man, you know it’s dead when a PSA thread becomes an argument about social justice and wrongful conviction.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:19 PM   #33
LouCypher
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I honestly did not expect “let the police handle it” and the basic idea of “innocent until proven guilty” would be controversial. My bad.

I guess he’s a convicted criminal now because of one guy’s story which doesn’t even add up enough for anyone to make a clear judgement.

Like what are y’all going to do if you see a scraggly guy on a bike near chinook? Call the police? And say what? “A guy on the Internet said he threw a rock at him.”? Or you’re just going to... confront him? Honest question. How should we go about getting this guy off the street?
No one suggested that people need to take it upon themselves to go find the guy. Just asking if anyone has seen someone or had something similar happen. Obviously you dont care to be of any help to anyone which is fine. Its is already aggravating enough to deal with this on your regularly routine walk to work. Its a free country ill help out and warn people as I please. You dont need to be making a bad situatio worse by being a complete ###### about it.

LouCypher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LouCypher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2019, 03:45 PM   #34
pepper24
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for sharing. Seeing more of incidents with transient population in my neighbourhood which is close to Chinook Mall. Increase is from opioid epidemic and weak economy.
pepper24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:31 PM   #35
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCypher View Post
No one suggested that people need to take it upon themselves to go find the guy. Just asking if anyone has seen someone or had something similar happen. Obviously you dont care to be of any help to anyone which is fine. Its is already aggravating enough to deal with this on your regularly routine walk to work. Its a free country ill help out and warn people as I please. You dont need to be making a bad situatio worse by being a complete ###### about it.

totally agree...

i have a particular route going to work and see the same guy probably 60% of the time... its not aggressive or anything like that, but if he were, he would definitely cause an issue for people walking down the street.

I have zero issue with ppl mentioning it in a thread, particularly when they have become aggressive ...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:43 PM   #36
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Are you seriously suggesting he made this whole thing up?

He didn't post this thread asking for any help, or suggesting people do anything. It's a PSA and opens up a discussion of some of the issues with the transient population. There was a chance, however small, that he could have been killed or seriously injured due to someone's unprovoked intent to injure.

And you seriously think starting this thread is an overreaction?

What a joke. Stop trolling or trying to stir up controversy. There's no discussion here to have on what you're looking for. Take it elsewhere.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:33 AM   #37
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Is this really any worse than what goes on late night on 17th?

####ty it happened not going to deny that.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:49 AM   #38
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Are you seriously suggesting he made this whole thing up?

He didn't post this thread asking for any help, or suggesting people do anything. It's a PSA and opens up a discussion of some of the issues with the transient population. There was a chance, however small, that he could have been killed or seriously injured due to someone's unprovoked intent to injure.

And you seriously think starting this thread is an overreaction?

What a joke. Stop trolling or trying to stir up controversy. There's no discussion here to have on what you're looking for. Take it elsewhere.
Who hurt you?

Get back to me when you want to talk about what I actually did say, the dramatic "I can't believe you're suggesting (insert something that was never suggested)" thing is already old and just makes things go in circles. I've edited my original post for clarification.
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #39
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who hurt you?

Get back to me when you want to talk about what I actually did say, the dramatic "I can't believe you're suggesting (insert something that was never suggested)" thing is already old and just makes things go in circles. I've edited my original post for clarification.

Your "clarification" is totally different from what you actually said. If I remember correctly you did say that you questioned whether the original post was truthful and/or verifiable. But your clarification is equally silly. I probably saw the guy and he didn't look like much of a threat....yeah, ok then.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #40
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

People pick the weirdest stuff to argue over.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post: