Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #9941
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if I'm being a homer or not but for retaining half of his salary for this year and next, I would think the return would be better especially considering the Leafs will have a late pick. That first would be around 20 or so.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:26 PM   #9942
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Posting this not as a credible rumor but just b/c it's interesting

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2021/0...traded-to.html

"If this deal is to occur, the Flames would have to retain 50% of Gaudreau's $6.75 million cap hit and possibly take Alex Kerfoot's $3.5 million contract. The Leafs would also have to give up Rasmus Sandin or Nick Robertson, along with an early draft pick."

So let's say Johnny 50% retained for Kerfoot+Robertson+late 1st?

Yes/no.

I think I do that. Kerfoot is a useful player but Robertson is the prize here.

Classic Al Coates "something now something later" deal.
You think you would do that? Thank God you are not our GM. That is freakin terrible.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 02:27 PM   #9943
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nick Robertson is the Leafs best prospect. It's a big piece. The Flames will be fortunate to get a team's best prospect AND a 1st out of Johnny.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 02:32 PM   #9944
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nick Robertson is the Leafs best prospect. It's a big piece. The Flames will be fortunate to get a team's best prospect AND a 1st out of Johnny.
With the hiring of Sutter , I don’t see flames trading Johnny for futures.they are going to want at least a top 6 player that can play now
Old 03-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #9945
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the Flames should be after one prized top prospect for Johnny.

If the team wants to compete again soon the priority should be about gaining one prized top prospect + the 6.75M in cap-space from trading Johnny.

If it’s Johnny with 50% retained, then one prized top prospect and a first round pick (or a 2nd depending on how good the prospect is).

To Carolina: Johnny Gaudreau
To Calgary: Seth Jarvis

To Toronto: Johnny Gaudreau (50% retained)
To Calgary: Nick Robertson, 1st round pick, a salary cap dump

To Florida: Johnny Gaudreau or Sean Monahan
To Calgary: Anton Lundell

These are the types of trades I’m hoping we see. Marco Rossi from Minnesota would be another prospect I’d target, but that seems doubtful.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-27-2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:44 PM   #9946
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny still does have the potential to be a superstar producing player with the right team/supporting cast, and still very young and on a favorable contract. Honestly, I think at minimum the Flames should get at least a blue chip prospect AND a 1st rounder for him.

If the price isn't there now, just wait it out since there's the offseason and next season still. GM's are desperate, and will overpay to get players when they really think they have a shot at a run.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:45 PM   #9947
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
With the hiring of Sutter , I don’t see flames trading Johnny for futures.they are going to want at least a top 6 player that can play now
If we trade Johnny for a top prospect before the deadline, here’s what we actually get:

- top prospect in a trade
- likely a better 2021 draft position
- 6.75M in cap-space
- more flexibility when it comes to the expansion draft

It is the best path forward for this team in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Johnny still does have the potential to be a superstar producing player with the right team/supporting cast, and still very young and on a favorable contract. Honestly, I think at minimum the Flames should get at least a blue chip prospect AND a 1st rounder for him.

If the price isn't there now, just wait it out since there's the offseason and next season still. GM's are desperate, and will overpay to get players when they really think they have a shot at a run.
If we don’t trade Johnny before free agency 2021 kicks off, he gets trade protection where he can list 5 teams he can be traded to.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #9948
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It is not that great of a piece. I think your dislike of the player is clouding your judgement of his value.
Old 03-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #9949
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If we trade Johnny for a top prospect before the deadline, here’s what we actually get:

- 6.75M in cap-space

If we don’t trade Johnny before free agency 2021 kicks off, he gets trade protection where he can list 5 teams he can be traded to.
If we trade Johnny at the deadline of course we should get as much as we can but I’m ok to get a bit less now for the gain we get in our first this year. IMO finishing in bottom 6 and hopefully a draft lottery win is a huge add to this franchise. More valuable than trying to add a late first. Would I trade 12th pick and around 26th pick for a top 5? Most years yes I would
Old 03-27-2021, 02:56 PM   #9950
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
I dont know about that. Both figuratively and literally i would not classify him as a "big" piece.

I agree its the "type" of deal you will get for a guy that other teams are seeing NGAF right now, but he also has a much larger sample size of thriving when he is happy and in the right place mentally.

If they deal JG before the deadline i think its a big mistake. Wait until the draft when you can have far more possibilities on destination and certainly on return. And I think that matters...a lot. Look at whats behind JG to come in and fill his spot. Not much size...anywhere.

This club has to get bigger. Period. They are pushed off the puck as a collective all over the ice. Now they have Dube/Mangi/Phillips as guys that could slide in to a JG spot...but they are all either undersized or flat out tiny. So is Gaudreau obviously......so size wise its a wash for one of them to claim a spot so you need to use 13 to upgrade both size and GAF meter IMO.

People still think of JG as an elite player. He isnt at this point and hasnt been for 2 calendar years. You can only expect something similar in return.....better than many but far from the best. So use him to upgrade something else on the roster. Maybe a somewhat similar but bigger RS/RW or a big bodied top 6 guy who may not be top shelf offensively but competes like hell, has some leadership and chips in offensively. Nic Robertson is none of that....though may be a fine player down the line.

Again though....way way more options this summer rather than now and that is an advantage which i think they have to use.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:07 PM   #9951
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I dont know about that. Both figuratively and literally i would not classify him as a "big" piece.

I agree its the "type" of deal you will get for a guy that other teams are seeing NGAF right now, but he also has a much larger sample size of thriving when he is happy and in the right place mentally.

If they deal JG before the deadline i think its a big mistake. Wait until the draft when you can have far more possibilities on destination and certainly on return. And I think that matters...a lot. Look at whats behind JG to come in and fill his spot. Not much size...anywhere.

This club has to get bigger. Period. They are pushed off the puck as a collective all over the ice. Now they have Dube/Mangi/Phillips as guys that could slide in to a JG spot...but they are all either undersized or flat out tiny. So is Gaudreau obviously......so size wise its a wash for one of them to claim a spot so you need to use 13 to upgrade both size and GAF meter IMO.

People still think of JG as an elite player. He isnt at this point and hasnt been for 2 calendar years. You can only expect something similar in return.....better than many but far from the best. So use him to upgrade something else on the roster. Maybe a somewhat similar but bigger RS/RW or a big bodied top 6 guy who may not be top shelf offensively but competes like hell, has some leadership and chips in offensively. Nic Robertson is none of that....though may be a fine player down the line.

Again though....way way more options this summer rather than now and that is an advantage which i think they have to use.
You’re walking into a relatively complicated off season though. Teams will be working on finishing their expansion lists, will they be willing to add a player that forces them to expose someone else without having the benefit of having that player for the playoff push in 2020/2021?

If it’s about doing it after the expansion draft - then you’re forcing yourself into what? A one week period where you’re trying to make the trade before Johnny’s trade protection kicks in?

I think Johnny has the most value right now, especially if they’re willing to retain salary to maximize the return.
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #9952
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It is not that great of a piece. I think your dislike of the player is clouding your judgement of his value.
Considered one of the top prospects in the nhl by many and nearly nhl ready
You aren’t going to do much better than that
Old 03-27-2021, 03:09 PM   #9953
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
If Bennett could have brought in a first, he’s already be gone.

I doubt his trade value has increased any over the last month.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I just compare him to past transactions, there are always panic moves at the deadline. He gets at least what AA got, two seconds from a desperate team to make move, and that player had no playoff history. It will be a first or two seconds, that’s my prediction.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #9954
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- 6.75M in cap-space

No team at the deadline is taking all of Johnny’s $6.75 million. So you are not getting that cap space. With a flat cap I’m not sure you could find that in the off season also ( unless Seattle)
Old 03-27-2021, 03:15 PM   #9955
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Nick Robertson is a good prospect but one that I think gets overrated. I would prefer Amirov from the Leafs over him in all honesty
Old 03-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #9956
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
You’re walking into a relatively complicated off season though. Teams will be working on finishing their expansion lists, will they be willing to add a player that forces them to expose someone else without having the benefit of having that player for the playoff push in 2020/2021?

If it’s about doing it after the expansion draft - then you’re forcing yourself into what? A one week period where you’re trying to make the trade before Johnny’s trade protection kicks in?

I think Johnny has the most value right now, especially if they’re willing to retain salary to maximize the return.
Expansion is before the regular draft no?

Teams will know who they lost when they get to the regular draft and will have lost that salary on top of it all...creating more cap room league wide.

It will also be before the 5 team NTC kicks in.

Every team will be better positioned then than now...but if someone wants to blow their socks off as to get 2 playoff runs with him...then sure. His value will be higher in the summer though for the simple supply and demand concept. More teams, more demand.

So few teams can afford him this TD that you are really limiting your options. Again though...if the right one comes along...do it.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:28 PM   #9957
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Considered one of the top prospects in the nhl by many and nearly nhl ready
You aren’t going to do much better than that
I'll always be leery any time a leafs prospect is considered one of the best. The TO hype machine is a real thing, and while I dont know SFA about Robertson, I've never heard his name on here, reddit or honestly anywhere before.

Edit: He was born September 11th 2001, thats some bad juju if I've ever seen it. Pass
Old 03-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #9958
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I'm another fan that believes the trigger should be pulled on Gaudreau sooner rather than later.
Robertson, a 1st and a serviceable forward like Kerfoot for JG up to 50% retained? I think Treliving has to consider that offer seriously.
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2021, 03:36 PM   #9959
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
No team at the deadline is taking all of Johnny’s $6.75 million. So you are not getting that cap space. With a flat cap I’m not sure you could find that in the off season also ( unless Seattle)
Carolina and Florida, for examples, could both take on Johnny’s cap hit without any problem at all.

Philly could also fit Johnny’s full contract so long as they send at least a few hundred thousand back Calgary’s way.

Last edited by ComixZone; 03-27-2021 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-27-2021, 03:40 PM   #9960
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think you are baking in the Brad factor there. Under a NHL GM you could get more for a 3.38 million dollar a year Johnny Gaudreau.
Closed Thread