Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #9861
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Some people still think the flames have a winning window lol. This team is toast, finished. Dead team walking lol. Wake up and smell the coffee lol
To be fair they are saying with a much different team plus Sutter. If the Flames could score 3 goals a game they wouldn't lose many. Need players that don't need 20 high danger chances per goal.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:55 PM   #9862
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Lol ####ing nonsense.
What's nonsense?

Friedman even said this morning that the value for Monahan isn't there.

He's 3rd best center on this team, and I could have a good debate about why Derek Ryan is better.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #9863
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not true at all. Monahan is younger, statistically better in every way, and bigger than Trochek.

You have no idea what the parameters of the Anderson trade on our end were. Monahan for Anderson would have been an absolute disaster

Both of those comments were likely true a year ago.

That was then, this is now.

Monny for either Trocheck or Anderson is likely not a trade the other team would do today.

Monny’s size is not particularly relevant when he doesn’t use it to his advantage.

His value has taken a sharp nosedive this year. Other teams can see what we see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #9864
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
What's nonsense?

Friedman even said this morning that the value for Monahan isn't there.

He's 3rd best center on this team, and I could have a good debate about why Derek Ryan is better.
It would be a bigger hit to the Flames if Ryan went down with an injury right now than Monahan. Half of the game is played without the puck, and how you play without the puck goes a long way to determining your overall value to the team.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #9865
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Good fit for both. I think Staal will thrive there.

I wonder if Montreal will move Danault too.

IMO they are loading up to ensure a playoff berth. They think we're pooched.
Boring end of the season for the north division...20+ games to jostle for position...
Old 03-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #9866
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
The problem with Monahan is if he isn’t scoring goals he brings nothing to the table. He can’t play a two-way role. He doesn’t kill penalties. He can’t gain entry. He’s not a great passer. He’s slow.

Treliving wasn’t impressed with the offers last offseason. The offers this summer will be even worse. When he is moved, people around here are not going to be happy with the return.
The only saving grace is if he is actually injured - then someone might buy that there is still a 35-goal scorer there. Of course, his wrists/hands could be permanently damaged, in which case it's pretty much all over as far as value.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

Old 03-26-2021, 01:17 PM   #9867
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem with Monahan is if he isn’t scoring goals he brings nothing to the table. He can’t play a two-way role. He doesn’t kill penalties. He can’t gain entry. He’s not a great passer. He’s slow.

Treliving wasn’t impressed with the offers last offseason. The offers this summer will be even worse. When he is moved, people around here are not going to be happy with the return.
Honestly then just don't move him.

Unless you are getting at least a 1st for him then you're better off just waiting until his contract is almost up and move him at the deadline that year when team always will overpay for centers and potential goal scorers.

No reason to sell low right now just because. It the best offers are Matt Duchene, Ryan Johansen, or Derek Stepan straight up, or a second round pick/mid-tier prospect then it's just not worth trading him.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:19 PM   #9868
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
As a lifelong fan going back to day one in Calgary this organization has tested my patience numerous times over the decades. Doing something unforgivable like trading away assets for a rental this deadline or something else dumb like protecting Giordano in the expansion draft may finally be the tipping point for me. A fan can only take so much incompetence.
Right? Don’t give me a reason to become a Seattle fan. Games would be easier for me to make it to...
Old 03-26-2021, 01:39 PM   #9869
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I want Monahan traded but you can’t trade a top six forward when their value is in a trough and the market is weak

Eric Staal with half retained just brought back a 3rd and a 5th. Not a sellers market
Old 03-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #9870
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
I want Monahan traded but you can’t trade a top six forward when their value is in a trough and the market is weak

Eric Staal with half retained just brought back a 3rd and a 5th. Not a sellers market
That's a decent trade for Buffalo, 36 year old Staal had been ass this year, 10 pts and a- 20.
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #9871
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that is pretty decent return for Staal, he has 10 points this season and is 36.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:46 PM   #9872
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather see Gaudreau, Gio and Bennett traded before Monahan, but I suspect if they do make a core shake up Johnny and Monny are both gone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #9873
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd rather see Gaudreau, Gio and Bennett traded before Monahan, but I suspect if they do make a core shake up Johnny and Monny are both gone.
Trade all four if you can.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #9874
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Right? Don’t give me a reason to become a Seattle fan. Games would be easier for me to make it to...
From downtown Victoria to downtown Seattle in under 3 hours on a nice relaxing ferry. If I lived there and it was within my budget, it would be awfully tempting not to consider it. Plus, you know they are going to hate the Canucks.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:52 PM   #9875
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will be interesting to see if Seattle can match Las Vegas's success. My guess is teams are less keen to pay to protect certain players as most got burned by doing so
Old 03-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #9876
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
That's a decent trade for Buffalo, 36 year old Staal had been ass this year, 10 pts and a- 20.
One word: Buffalo
Old 03-26-2021, 02:06 PM   #9877
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Then dont trade him.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:13 PM   #9878
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
The thing is in a 1 for 1 trade Duchene and Stepan are the only guys we could get for Monahan.

I guess it is possible to get something significant for Monahan, I just don't think it's likely. I don't think Monahan is viewed as a top center, I would say that he is viewed as a lower end 2nd line center.
It's not about who they are today, it's about what they were at the time of the trade.

Schenn was ~25G ~57P in both seasons before he was traded, about a year younger than Monahan.

Basically identical to Monahan last season (if you prorate the last 12 games). Season before was 34G 82P. This season he's down on a bad team.

Duchene's numbers were similar to Schenn age 24-25, but worse age 26 (18G 41P), then he was traded early in age 27 season.

Kadri was 32G 61P, 32G 55P age 26 and 27. Then down to 16G 44P in 73gp age 28 before he was traded. Of course he brings grit, too. Always tough to assess guys in the TOR world of hyperbole.

Common thread with all of them (and Trocheck) is a down season before they were traded. It didn't neuter their value in the way people think it will for Monny. Excluding this season for a moment; SM's best year is better than the others' best. His average years are a bit better than the others' average. His down year was better than the others' down years...in fact last year was similar to other guys' averages.

I don't think he holds huge value in the current climate (because nobody does), but he's in the higher end of the mix with all of the other guys we're talking about.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #9879
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:
Kraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Will be interesting to see if Seattle can match Las Vegas's success. My guess is teams are less keen to pay to protect certain players as most got burned by doing so
I think Covid will be great for Seattle's draft.
Going to see premium assets offered for them to take full salaries with the flat cap and economic uncertainty.
I've been a lifelong Kraken fan so I'm very excited for this.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:18 PM   #9880
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames, like always, are in a bad position. They need to change the core and get rid of some players but those players don't have much value so they don't want to trade them. The only options for the team are to trade players and know you won't get the value you think they're worth or, most likely, pretend everything is fine and they'll magically turn it around then settle in to mediocrity.
Closed Thread