Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-18-2021, 10:51 AM   #2981
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Baker/Thunder Rosa was one of the best women's matches I've ever seen. Brutal, engaging, and those women put it all on the line. Even Meltzer said it was one of the Top 3 women's matches in history.

Watch it if you can!
That match was so damn good. Despite the loss, I would love to see Baker have a run with the title.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 11:17 AM   #2982
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've said that AEW needs to do a way better job with their woman's division. This is a great step for that.

I actually really like Britt, I think she's very talented and there is some good talent there. I'm still jonesing over Tay because I thought she had tremendous potential in NXT, and she's grown by leaps and bounds in AEW.

I also see that Ito has gone home to Japan. Not a big loss.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 01:13 PM   #2983
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord, I just watched that Baker/Rosa match... that was absolutely terrific. They went ALL OUT. Strap rockets to both of them.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2021, 03:19 PM   #2984
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

ratings, both shows sliding, they're at best stagnant, at worst just not gaining a foothold.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372639040269295616

I wonder how much of an effect the barbed wire exploding my pretty pony sparkly sparkly match had to do with that.

Old 03-18-2021, 04:23 PM   #2985
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
ratings, both shows sliding, they're at best stagnant, at worst just not gaining a foothold.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1372639040269295616

I wonder how much of an effect the barbed wire exploding my pretty pony sparkly sparkly match had to do with that.
You really think the AEW barbwire match two weeks ago has negatively impacted NXT ratings? Even with AEW still in first place?

That's a bit of a stretch.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 04:29 PM   #2986
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First place against a faltering NXT isn't saying much right now. I would have expected that AEW was designed to compete with the main roster shows. We're talking about a fairly high profile roster here. But we don't see these massive bumps or them competing with main roster or even going towards it.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #2987
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Why would AEW be designed to compete with the main roster shows? It has been always on Wednesday nights from the beginning - right where NXT is. Of course it's not designed to compete, otherwise you'd have to apply the same logic to Impact or NJPW Strong. AEW was not intended to compete head-on with WWE's main brands; rather, it was to offer an alternative to the WWE product - and they've said as such.

The fun part of both products is that the rosters are borne from the same crop of indie superstars that are making names for themselves. Switch up Finn Balor and Adam Cole for Adam Page and Kenny Omega and you've basically just subbed in members of the Bullet Club for the other promotion. AEW gets the nod for people with more indie buzz, but NXT gets the edge for original talent through the PC.

They basically both have the same profile of rosters on Wednesday nights. And generally follow the same trajectory for ups and downs together.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #2988
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn’t chemical warfare against The Geneva Convention?
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 08:09 PM   #2989
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I think I'm finally done. There were some good matches tonight. But that Fiend thing was just um . . . yeah

Old 03-21-2021, 10:35 PM   #2990
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Also, Andrade got his release. I can't believe the WWE couldn't make a star out of him, he is legit a Top 10 wrestler in the world and was clearly going to be the Latino Superstar they needed after Rey retires and the collapse of Del Rio. Just boggles my mind they couldn't find something for him - especially when paired with Vega.

Oh well, looking forward to a Rush/Andrade reunion in ROH, or even La Sombra popping up in NJPW with Los Ingobernables de Japon. TRANQUILLO!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2021, 11:38 PM   #2991
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope La Sombra ends up in AEW; that way he can compete in AEW and NJPW. Him in the G1, oh man...

Also, with AEW - him versus Rey Fenix would be way too money to pass up. I'm just giddy thinking about that possibility.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2021, 12:09 AM   #2992
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I hope La Sombra ends up in AEW; that way he can compete in AEW and NJPW. Him in the G1, oh man...

Also, with AEW - him versus Rey Fenix would be way too money to pass up. I'm just giddy thinking about that possibility.
He’s a perfect fit for AEW. Thought of him with any of the Lucha Bros.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:02 AM   #2993
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fiend and alexa just need to go away for like 6 months and come back repackaged

The last two matches were great

Drew and sheamus have great chemistry and roman/db can go with anyone
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:04 AM   #2994
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

AEW seems most likely, I think him and vega can reunite

He won't wanna go ft I imagine in Japan with his wife in WWE, but he probably can get same deal as mox where he can do tours

Wonder if he gets the regular 90 days

Also aew has signed too many WWE castoffs, but la sombra is not that, they can build around him for a decade
Old 03-22-2021, 08:54 AM   #2995
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The fiend and alexa just need to go away for like 6 months and come back repackaged

The last two matches were great

Drew and sheamus have great chemistry and roman/db can go with anyone
Yeah, after watching the Fiend return last night as a zombie fiend (Bray looks like he's lost a ton of weight). I was really dissapointed in the return, I really like Alexa, I have a ton of respect for her character work, and she's clearly put everything into this. But even she can't save the last month of half butted Randy spewing black goo story line building. And on the Fiend side, Bray the same thing, His split promo stuff with Bray and the Fiend he's taken it as far as he could (Check out the confrontation between Nikki and Alexa when Bray makes his entrance. It was brilliant by Alexa and Bray.

Its just that the writing is so outright stupid and then they dove to the generic side of things.

They really did a smart thing a couple of months ago with Alexa in her matches, when she was switching personalities with at one point her Alexa personality coming out and she was crying and confused and clearly terrified. It was so well done that you want to invest in Alexa at that point.

But last night, meh, when the return should have been something I don't know more epic, and less mind tricks by Bliss.

The last two matches were terrific. The opening few matches were really Raw matches and who couldn't see the Bianca Banks breakdown a mile a way. And I'm happy that Retribution seems to be done, Ali is immensely talented, and strongly under rated on the mic, but Retribution was stupid, and the wrestlers in the mask, and especially Mia are really talented and shouldn't be masked.

Anyone else get a sense that this Fiend angle with Alexa is to protect her as she had concussion problems a couple of years back?

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-22-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-22-2021, 01:15 PM   #2996
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like no 90 day no compete for Andrade

AEW should debut him wednesday
Old 03-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #2997
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I'm actually hoping he doesn't go to AEW. Rey Fenix is taking off as the premier Latino star, and Andrade would be crammed into an already huge roster.

Personally I think he should head to NJPW where he can reunite with LIJ, and have a banger of a feud with guys like Okada, White, or Ospreay.

I think it would also be extremely interesting if Impact snagged him. They could no doubt strap the rocket to him as a main eventer, and have a cross-AEW feud with those guys while being a top guy for promotion that has growing momentum. That roster is hurting for a guy like Andrade to take them to the next level. No doubt Callis and D'Amore could make him a star.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:39 AM   #2998
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kane is the latest inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 11:45 AM   #2999
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a good induction, the guy is very interesting and bright and still had one of the best debuts I've ever seen. But also some of the worst gimmicks in history (Christmas Creature, Isaac Yankem, Fake Diesel). He didn't do anything that was totally innovative or mind boggling though his stuff with Bryan was fantastic. He was in essence a great company guy though, and his feud with undertaker was a great feud.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:52 AM   #3000
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a good induction, the guy is very interesting and bright and still had one of the best debuts I've ever seen. But also some of the worst gimmicks in history (Christmas Creature, Isaac Yankem, Fake Diesel). He didn't do anything that was totally innovative or mind boggling though his stuff with Bryan was fantastic. He was in essence a great company guy though, and his feud with undertaker was a great feud.

Glenn Jacobs had very good range - Kane could be a monster, sympathetic and even play some comedy. No small feat while wearing a mask.

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Puppet Guy For This Useful Post: