Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #681
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah, Smith-Dorrien trail is pretty crap to drive on. I don't like the ride south from canmore cause of the uneven road and tend to avoid it.

If there's one road that's begging to be paved its that one, from the bottom of grassi to the connector with hwy 40. Would do wonders to have easy/painless access to the trailheads along there.

I don’t even mind dirt roads, but why is that one like a freaking washboard? Is it intentional or does the wind and rain or whatever cause that? Maybe it’s good, the parking lot wasn’t even full at 10am on Saturday, so maybe it deters some people.

Anyway, looked like lots of people enjoying the water along the route. Maybe next week we will just do a fun day at Barrier Lake or something if he weather is still nice and hot.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #682
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Yeah, Smith-Dorrien trail is pretty crap to drive on. I don't like the ride south from canmore cause of the uneven road and tend to avoid it.

If there's one road that's begging to be paved its that one, from the bottom of grassi to the connector with hwy 40. Would do wonders to have easy/painless access to the trailheads along there.
We came back from Upper and Lower Lakes by that Smith-Dorrien trail and I ended up blowing a strut after replacing them a month before. I hate that road. Such a shame because there are some nice spots along it.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #683
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We went to Chester Lake and Elephant Rocks. Kids absolutely loved Elephant Rocks. Great day, except for the drive. I forgot how damn jarring that road is. Is it rippled like that on purpose or by the way the grader works or do the ripples form naturally? I wish they could smooth it out. After finished tried to go to 514 Poutine (formerly La Belle Patate) and they are closed indefinitely too bad their website and Google aren’t updated with this info.
It washboards after a lot of travel. Need a grader to get in there and smooth it out, but that costs money.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:13 PM   #684
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Grader was on that road on the south end on Thursday

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:50 PM   #685
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
It washboards after a lot of travel. Need a grader to get in there and smooth it out, but that costs money.
Wonder how much it would cost for a Kananaskis Toll to get that road paved?
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #686
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
Wonder how much it would cost for a Kananaskis Toll to get that road paved?
The road would be incredibly dangerous paved in the winter and cost way to much to maintain. Which is why it is still gravel. They do grade it several times over the summer, it just sees lots of use and like all gravel roads, ends up a washboard at some point.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:15 PM   #687
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The road would be incredibly dangerous paved in the winter and cost way to much to maintain. Which is why it is still gravel. They do grade it several times over the summer, it just sees lots of use and like all gravel roads, ends up a washboard at some point.
Why would it be dangerous? Its a basic road outside the bit outside canmore as far as I remember.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #688
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even if they just paved the flat sections along spray lakes and left the steep section descending to the Nordic center (which obviously would be difficult to pave and subsequently maintain) that would do wonders. Highway 40 is a dream to drive on, would be nice to enjoy that quality of roadway to the picnic areas and viewpoints along the lakes, i would frequent it way more.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 02:24 PM   #689
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would it be dangerous? Its a basic road outside the bit outside canmore as far as I remember.
There are lots of twisty bits through trees and narrow sections. Even as it is it can get super slippery. A paved road would require huge amounts of gravel to keep it in drive-able condition. I've been up there plenty of times in the winter, it would not be safe paved.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #690
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
There are lots of twisty bits through trees and narrow sections. Even as it is it can get super slippery. A paved road would require huge amounts of gravel to keep it in drive-able condition. I've been up there plenty of times in the winter, it would not be safe paved.
i think you could easily pave from highway 40 to Chester lakes without any issue. After that it gets a bit twisty I guess. Is there any value in doing that though? Not really I don't think.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #691
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'm less familiar with that side of it, I'm always coming up from the Canmore side. Most of it from Canmore to the end of the lakes would not be good paved.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:26 PM   #692
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I did Stanley Glacier on the weekend. We showed up at 9:30 AM and the parking lot was still half empty. When we got back the parking lot was full and there was about 30 cars parked on the side of the highway. We watched some kids climbing the moraine of the glacier which seemed super sketchy.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 03:36 PM   #693
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
i think you could easily pave from highway 40 to Chester lakes without any issue. After that it gets a bit twisty I guess. Is there any value in doing that though? Not really I don't think.
They just need to run a grater down it. I’m sure it’s far worse this year then previous years but it could be I usually come from the Canmore side and this year had a few trips from the South side.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 04:51 PM   #694
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
I did Stanley Glacier on the weekend. We showed up at 9:30 AM and the parking lot was still half empty. When we got back the parking lot was full and there was about 30 cars parked on the side of the highway. We watched some kids climbing the moraine of the glacier which seemed super sketchy.
Glaciers are 2020's playgrounds!
Old 08-17-2020, 05:20 PM   #695
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Hiking / Backpacking Thread

Quote:

I don’t know if it’s a lot of value, but it would be nice. What determines whether a road should be paved or not? How much maintenance does HWY 40 cost?

It wouldn’t be bad if they took the grader down it down more frequently. How long does it generally stay in good, non-rippley condition?

Besides being dusty, it feels like there is not a lot of traction.

Last edited by Wormius; 08-17-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:14 AM   #696
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Another waterfall drowning at Marble Canyon this time.

Folks: fast moving, cold, glacier fed waters will kill you very quickly. Be very careful and enjoy them without getting super close. If there are barriers/railings on the trail, they are there for a reason.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:49 AM   #697
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I disagree. Leave the Smith Dorrien unpaved, dusty and crap. That place would see an astronomical amount of traffic if it ever got paved. You’d get people just cutting through at high speeds to get from Kananaskis to Canmore.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #698
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don’t pave it then. Just take a grader in more frequently during the busy months to knock down the ripples. The problem is that there is no reasonable speed you can drive and not feel like your vehicle is being shaken apart.

I don’t think anybody would use that as some kind of shortcut between Kananaskis to Canmore. If they did they’d probably be sightseeing and driving more slowly.
Old 08-20-2020, 11:16 AM   #699
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Another waterfall drowning at Marble Canyon this time.

Folks: fast moving, cold, glacier fed waters will kill you very quickly. Be very careful and enjoy them without getting super close. If there are barriers/railings on the trail, they are there for a reason.
Also three drowning deaths at crescent falls.

Sad because those are two great places that will have these tragic accidents associated with them.

If you aren't super experienced, just respect nature. Even if you are, respect nature and just play it safe.
Old 08-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #700
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a picture of the great divide west of etherington creek taken about 5 km's west of the parking lot. I think the mountains are Mt Farquar, Mt McGilvary, Mt Strachen and Mt Knowles. But don't quote me on that.

I'm quite sure I'm not crazy because today I had another person with me and she heard it too...a very large explosion coming from the area between the photo and the mountains behind. I've heard the same explosion here before...3 times during winter and 4 other times including today. I thought it was an avalanche during winter. But it certainly isn't that. It's a good five seconds of rumbling.

Any idea what it is?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backcountry , backpacking , hiking , tenting , wilderness