Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #1801
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevanGuy View Post
Wow, just watched a riot cop shove a reporter to the ground. He was shouting that he was giving her a lawful order to move, she shouted that she was press. He said, fine, you can go to jail and pushed her down! Crazy stuff there tonight right now. Arrests, beatings, etc...

Also, watching a cop stomp and smash a megaphone was particularly poignant.
Hmm this is a 7 hour video... Where are you seeing this?
Old 08-04-2020, 12:09 PM   #1802
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess someone finally found time between golf, rage/Adderall tweeting, and watching FOX/OANN to tell him he kinda needs people to vote by mail to have any chance.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290692768675901440
Old 08-04-2020, 12:39 PM   #1803
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

LMAO, that's quite the turnaround. He knows he's losing Florida, and he'll lose it handily if the white elderly people who are afraid to go to a polling station don't vote. Mail in ballots it is!

Fine with me. Lebron and his buddies are going to get a bunch of ex-felons their voting abilities just in time for the election.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...ons-seeking-to

Quote:
LeBron James' group to donate $100K to pay fines for ex-felons seeking to vote in Florida

The voting rights group founded by NBA star LeBron James and other athletes is committed to donating $100,000 to help pay outstanding fines and fees for former felons seeking to vote in Florida.

More Than A Vote plans to make the donation to the Florida Rights Restoration Coalition, an organization that helped push a 2018 ballot measure that restored the right to vote to the former felon population in the Sunshine State, ABC News reported.

The money will be used to help former felons pay off any outstanding court debts related to their convictions so they can register to vote.
Quote:
State Republicans in the Florida House pushed through a law last April that established the requirement for felons to pay all court fees and costs, in addition to restitution, before becoming eligible to vote.

The measure significantly curtailed a state constitutional amendment voted on by Floridans during the 2018 elections that restored voting rights to about 1.4 million ex-convicts.

Critics argued that the bill, signed into law by Gov. Ron DeSantis (R), was an unconstitutional modern-day “poll tax” that would keep felons disenfranchised.

Several poor, court-indebted felons who had otherwise served out their sentences asked a federal court to strike down the pay requirement on constitutional grounds.

A federal trial court on May invalidated the payment component, ruling that it was unlawful to prohibit voting access based on indigence.

Several weeks later, the Atlanta-based Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit agreed to halt the lower court ruling while an appeal played out, effectively making it illegal for court-indebted felons to register to vote or cast ballots.

Last week, the conservative-majority Supreme Court declined to revisit the 11th Circuit ruling.
This is the "attempted change" that Donald is referring to which he thinks is defeated (it's not, just in limbo).

Just despicable. Republicans are so anti-democratic it's not even funny. An amendment was voted on by the vast majority of Floridians, and overwhelmingly, left and right, they said people should vote, even if they were felons at one time, and yet the republican government and conservative judiciary can't get their heads around that idea.

The right has completely lost touch with what America is these days. They're going to find that fact out pretty quickly in November.

Good on Lebron and co. to get this done.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 12:47 PM   #1804
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

New Lincoln Project ad is up, this time for the McConnell
Old 08-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #1805
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried watching the interview. Just like every time he speaks I can’t figure out how people thinks he makes sense or knows a damn thing about what he’s saying.

He is unequivocally an idiot.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 02:29 PM   #1806
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
I tried watching the interview. Just like every time he speaks I can’t figure out how people thinks he makes sense or knows a damn thing about what he’s saying.

Imagine being a Trump voter, and the kind of people you talk to/are married to/spend time with.

There's a strong possibility Trump is actually more coherent and understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:01 PM   #1807
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Neil Young is suing Donald Trump’s campaign for alleged illegal usage of his music at a rally.

The musician claims that Rockin’ in the Free World and Devil’s Sidewalk were played at the president’s recent rally in Tulsa without a license. Both songs have also been used before by the campaign.

“This complaint is not intended to disrespect the rights and opinions of American citizens, who are free to support the candidate of their choosing,” reads the copyright infringement complaint filed in New York federal court. “However, Plaintiff in good conscience cannot allow his music to be used as a ‘theme song’ for a divisive, un-American campaign of ignorance and hate.”

Young posted details of the lawsuit on his official site which details the singer “continuously and publicly” objecting to his music being used by Trump going back to 2015. “The Campaign has willfully ignored Plaintiff’s telling it not to play the songs and willfully proceeded to play the songs despite a lack of license,” it reads.

Young’s lawyers are asking for statutory damages in the maximum amount allowed for copyright infringement.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...kin-free-world

Old 08-04-2020, 03:04 PM   #1808
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post

I think we grossly underestimate the amount people that talk and think at a similar level to Trump. There is a reason reality TV shows on channels like TLC have consistent viewership.
Old 08-04-2020, 03:45 PM   #1809
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Last week we made our first irresponsible Covid decision and took a trip up to Illinois for a few days to see my family. While we were there, I was watching TV at my sisters and noticed in her favorite channels was InfoWars. Thankfully it allowed me to be prepared over the next few days as topics came up. While there I heard from my brother in law about how Covid would go away after the election, how you just can't believe anything these days, and how Covid actually was out there before the super bowl, but they didnt want to miss out on all the money and waited until after that to talk about it.

The smallish town I am from had about 0% people wearing masks. We were often the only ones with them on. As we traveled there and back, we saw no masks at any of the places we stopped for gas or food.

It was just so disappointing to see but unfortunately not surprising.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #1810
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump and the GOP on school re-opening:
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 04:17 PM   #1811
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290613408233066497
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #1812
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with another round of primaries going on tonight, there's one race in particular that's drawing a lot of attention: Republican nominee for senate in Kansas. I think I mentioned before that Democrats nominated a great candidate (or technically, will have nominated by the time the night is through) in Barbara Bollier. Democrats are also rooting hard for Kris Kolbach to win on the Republican side, as he's seen as a very vulnerable opponent. Right now, the Republican establishment's candidate, Roger Marshall has a narrow lead early in the results.

https://apps.npr.org/elections20-pri.../2020&office=S
Old 08-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #1813
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

And it looks like Kolbach is going down. Next stop for his career has got to be an anti-immigration and voting fraud pundit on Fox.
Old 08-04-2020, 10:12 PM   #1814
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Hmm this is a 7 hour video... Where are you seeing this?
Think it was at the 4ish hour mark. It's usually around 1am Portland time when the cops disperse the "unlawful assembly". Then everyone goes home to do it again the next night - until someone gets shot, is my guess. Though, that already happened in Austin and it didn't make too many waves...but this successful power grab by Trump will come to a head soon, to then be repeated in other cities, I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to KevanGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2020, 11:39 PM   #1815
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
LMAO, that's quite the turnaround. He knows he's losing Florida, and he'll lose it handily if the white elderly people who are afraid to go to a polling station don't vote. Mail in ballots it is!
That's just it, he picks & chooses the narrative that happens to be convenient to him in the given moment. He's the most unprincipled person I've ever seen.

More on why he opposes mail-in ballots (depending on which state, of course!)

Old 08-04-2020, 11:57 PM   #1816
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other big news tonight was William Lacy Clay, a Dem establishment incumbent, losing his primary to progressive activist, Cori Bush.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/05/polit...ult/index.html
Old 08-05-2020, 01:05 AM   #1817
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1290529660963446785
Old 08-05-2020, 01:35 AM   #1818
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

President Trump officially endorses Susan Collins

Old 08-05-2020, 01:48 AM   #1819
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump's Guide to American History

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #1820
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Someone took that interview and turned it into Trump arguing with himself, this is glorious!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MadeMeSmile...m_medium=web2x