Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2021, 05:48 PM   #221
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If the Cavs got Aguero, we would have still had to listen to a desperate Wheeler compare about how Borges has also scored his fair share of big goals and has similar accolades.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54 PM   #222
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
If the Cavs got Aguero, we would have still had to listen to a desperate Wheeler compare about how Borges has also scored his fair share of big goals and has similar accolades.
Listening to Wheels whine about the attention the Cavs get makes me laugh. He's so desperate for Forge to be relevant.

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:34 PM   #223
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice long article on Pasquotti's recovery from injury, and the struggles some CPL players have in trying to be professional athletes while not making a lot of money.

https://northerntribune.ca/nico-pasquotti-injury-2021/

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2021, 07:28 PM   #224
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really would like to see Pasquotti see massive success with Cavalry FC going forward, and if not them, somewhere regardless. He's an exciting player to watch and one of the best things about the 2019 Cavs that made it such a legendary, awesome season and story. Hopefully he continues to develop and grows even more as a player.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:26 PM   #225
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cavalry reached out to the supporters group regarding the upcoming season. They have a plan in place for a season with no fans, and a plan in place for a season with limited fans. Currently waiting on a directive from the league, and then at that time they would work with provincial health authorities from there.

The league was aiming to start May long weekend, but given that we have moved back to phase 1, I think that's nothing more than a pipe dream at this point. Perhaps a bubble tournament in the Maritimes to start the season could still be in order, while vaccination efforts ramp up?

Who knows what will really happen.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 08:50 AM   #226
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Cavalry reached out to the supporters group regarding the upcoming season. They have a plan in place for a season with no fans, and a plan in place for a season with limited fans. Currently waiting on a directive from the league, and then at that time they would work with provincial health authorities from there.

The league was aiming to start May long weekend, but given that we have moved back to phase 1, I think that's nothing more than a pipe dream at this point. Perhaps a bubble tournament in the Maritimes to start the season could still be in order, while vaccination efforts ramp up?

Who knows what will really happen.
What an absolute shame what the pandemic has done to this promising league. In good times it was precarious to survive. I don't have high hopes, but I am hoping hard because I love this league.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #227
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sherm - if it does go ahead, would season ticket holders be given priority to spread out across the stadium? As much as I like our rabid section, at this point, I'll sit or stand virtually anywhere there.
Old 04-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #228
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Sherm - if it does go ahead, would season ticket holders be given priority to spread out across the stadium? As much as I like our rabid section, at this point, I'll sit or stand virtually anywhere there.
Honestly, no idea. Club just said they have plans, but didn't disclose any other information. I'm in the same boat as you. Just let me in and I'll watch wherever. I'll watch by the outhouses in the SW corner even...

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #229
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What an absolute shame what the pandemic has done to this promising league. In good times it was precarious to survive. I don't have high hopes, but I am hoping hard because I love this league.
It's a shame, because with the great 2019 Cavalry had, there was some real momentum going into 2020. They were the only club that actually increased their season ticket numbers over 2019 (1700 vs 1500 in 2019). Couple that with the absolute disaster that is the Flames and the consistently decreasing interest in the CFL, they would have been in a very healthy spot right now.

Old 04-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #230
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
It's a shame, because with the great 2019 Cavalry had, there was some real momentum going into 2020. They were the only club that actually increased their season ticket numbers over 2019 (1700 vs 1500 in 2019). Couple that with the absolute disaster that is the Flames and the consistently decreasing interest in the CFL, they would have been in a very healthy spot right now.
I like to think that the passion for soccer/football in Calgary will not wane because of the pandemic; rather, it will strengthen people's resolve to get outside in a social setting that gets "back to normal". I think fans don't want these things to die off and will go the extra mile. Plus, it's affordable entertainment when sports resume in normal circumstances.

If the CPL can survive, I think Cavalry will excel. And when I fly home I will catch a game (I still technically have seasons tickets lol).
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #231
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Ya I'm pretty bullish for the Cavs, I think the game experience has been great so far, and once allowed I wouldn't be surprised if attendance goes up and up. With the ring road connecting to 22x by the fall, it makes the commute much better for those of us in the west, north-west, and north-central. I'm confident of fans in the stands by June.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:57 PM   #232
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Kenney thinks Stampede is a possibility this year based on vaccinations, then I see no reason why Spruce Meadows couldn't have people in the stands by then too. If anything, a Cavs game would be safer than Stampede, given its more windy down there, its fully outdoors and people could space out based on available seating and standing area.
Old 04-07-2021, 01:10 PM   #233
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
If Kenney thinks Stampede is a possibility this year based on vaccinations, then I see no reason why Spruce Meadows couldn't have people in the stands by then too. If anything, a Cavs game would be safer than Stampede, given its more windy down there, its fully outdoors and people could space out based on available seating and standing area.
Honestly, it seems like the whole thing could be done safely with a lot of restrictions. Obviously you limit the attendance, and impress upon people that they need to remain distanced and control the entrance/exits and it seems like it would be doable.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #234
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

After 2 of those 24 oz beers I'm kissing someone on the mouth when Cavalry scores...

Last edited by shermanator; 04-07-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:05 PM   #235
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say hello to the bad guy. He's back in town...

https://twitter.com/TofaFakunle/stat...03940175613954

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #236
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Say hello to the bad guy. He's back in town...

https://twitter.com/TofaFakunle/stat...03940175613954
Have to think that bodes well for the season starting in May!
Old 04-11-2021, 12:03 AM   #237
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 04-11-2021 at 12:06 AM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 09:11 PM   #238
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Luca may be on his way....

https://twitter.com/RichardLuca11/st...97516484706304

Old 04-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #239
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hopefully he tells all his football friends how awesome Canada is and we see a wave of Brazilian talent come here.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:03 AM   #240
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I know everything is a bit in flux with the covid numbers going up, but it would be really nice if the league could set out some solid dates for starting up, maybe with some caveats based on fans/no fans, and if cases get worse. Just feels like we are so in the dark with the season possibly starting within the next month.
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , eff the forge , fc edmonton is no good