Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2021, 12:50 PM   #381
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Anybody track their speed with apps? I did a couple speed runs down Meadowlark on Saturday. Hit 89.4 km/h and it felt pretty fast. I think I need a longer and stiffer board to push it much past that. I ride a 165 all mountain board, so while good it is not great for full-on speed runs.
Thats pretty damn fast I'd say.

Went with a skier buddy who had one going, the highest we had was 74 km/h, that felt plenty fast for me on a board.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #382
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody track their speed with apps? I did a couple speed runs down Meadowlark on Saturday. Hit 89.4 km/h and it felt pretty fast. I think I need a longer and stiffer board to push it much past that. I ride a 165 all mountain board, so while good it is not great for full-on speed runs.
They can be a bit glitchy because of the way GPS points are tracked in 3D space, but still fun! The individual highs and lows are going to be way off, but the overall picture gives you a bit of an idea what kind of speed you can achieve.

89 feels a bit fast unless you can produce it consistently, but not so far off. 80km/h is definitely plausible IMO.

Partner and I did some speed laps a few weeks back and she ended up with the faster speed even though I was bombing past her on each run so I wouldn't bet too many beers on it

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-05-2021 at 12:56 PM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 01:11 PM   #383
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I've pushed 70mph on a GPS before, hauling ass down the initial steep pitch from the red chair summit to North Bowl at Castle. It was fast, but I felt like I've gone faster.

Straight lining parts of the womens DH at Louise for example makes my palms sweaty lol
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #384
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I've pushed 70mph on a GPS before, hauling ass down the initial steep pitch from the red chair summit to North Bowl at Castle. It was fast, but I felt like I've gone faster.

Straight lining parts of the womens DH at Louise for example makes my palms sweaty lol
Straight down ladies DH scares me, to unpredictable and feels narrow. I like Meadowlark freshly groomed when no one is around, but my favourite leg burner is early spring before it's slushy, start at Summit, down the old Mens DH route. Down Sunset, straight over the cat track, down to the top of Oly, then down to Wiwaxi and onto Mens, then Juniper Jungle. It can be terrifyingly fast, and your quads turn to burning butter.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2021, 02:59 PM   #385
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anybody track their speed with apps?
I've used a couple on various phones. Compared to a dedicated GPS device most seem to register ~10km faster than the GPS.

Compared with my vehicle, the GPS tracked closer to the truck speedo that the app did. YMMV.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:44 PM   #386
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reports coming in of an avalanche near Louise - Haddo Pk. One person dead.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:17 AM   #387
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Took my son to Sunshine yesterday, I could not believe how great the conditions were. It was a bit windy, but wow super impressive for April. I know its known for staying open late etc, but seriously its like the middle of winter up there.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 04:17 PM   #388
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Louise was absolutely perfect today. Had my son with me so he got tired of the powder around 2. Had fresh turns till about 11:30
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #389
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There was powder all over the place today at Lake Louise, the last two weekends have been amazing.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #390
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody here ever have a sore tailbone from a boarding fall? I had a little fall on some ice about 2 weeks back, still doesn't feel 100% I got it checked out and it's not broken, potential hairline fracture.

I am hoping its not a season ending injury and looking for any advice on treatment that any CP users may be aware of. I recently picked up some Burton Impact shorts with some protection in the future, anybody have experience with these?

Thanks!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:41 PM   #391
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've got a set of impact shorts that I use on occasions. What are you curious about? I find they feel tight and restrictive when you first put them on but definitely soften up with body heat. I only wear them when I think I might land on a rail. I don't think they help much for "normal" falls on snow but they definitely help if you don't commit to a backside boardslide. I'm just a guy in his mid 30's trying to learn tricks he should have learnt when he was 15, so for that they're useful.

Conditions related, man Saturday was great - a spring day 3 seasons in the making! With 2020 being robbed by Covid and 2019 having generally disappointing (cold) spring conditions, that was the best day since Shake the Lake 2018!
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 12:31 AM   #392
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
I've got a set of impact shorts that I use on occasions. What are you curious about? I find they feel tight and restrictive when you first put them on but definitely soften up with body heat. I only wear them when I think I might land on a rail. I don't think they help much for "normal" falls on snow but they definitely help if you don't commit to a backside boardslide. I'm just a guy in his mid 30's trying to learn tricks he should have learnt when he was 15, so for that they're useful.

Conditions related, man Saturday was great - a spring day 3 seasons in the making! With 2020 being robbed by Covid and 2019 having generally disappointing (cold) spring conditions, that was the best day since Shake the Lake 2018!

Saturday was amazing I agree! I guess I wasn't exactly direct with what I was looking for information wise.

I am wondering how long these sore tailbones usually last? It's been about 2 weeks for me and it hasn't gotten much better in terms of being in that position to put on bindings etc. Wondering if any experienced borders have any stretches or treatment that may help?

I am also in my 30's, getting back into snowboarding and have LOVED every aspect of it this year again. Kicking myself for taking a few years off and now I can't get off the mountain.

I've got a dilemma in the sense I have a Sunshine seasons pass, the weather looks amazing, I just purchased a brand new 2021 Burton Custom that I haven't used, a BUM tailbone, convinced multiple friends to buy spring passes.

Ironically if I want to be able to actually go out for the remainder of the season, I may have to switch to skiing!! I haven't probably skied in 20 years. Ever since the war of the 90's I switched and I haven't looked back. Now you go to the hill and you see skiers looking like boarders, boarders looking like skiers. It's nuts out there.

Either way, have lot's of fun out there and be safe!
Old 04-20-2021, 06:39 AM   #393
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sore tailbones can last months. Get used to it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #394
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone know if you can give a sunshine supercard to someone else to use? I have a free day but can't go again this year.
Old 04-20-2021, 06:28 PM   #395
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Does anyone know if you can give a sunshine supercard to someone else to use? I have a free day but can't go again this year.

I don't see how it would be an issue with the actual card? I assume you would just give your card to someone and than it's scanned at the lift and all goes well.

Best of luck
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 11:58 PM   #396
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Sorry, curves is wrong here. The pass is technically registered in your name and only valid for you.

But it's not like lifties look that close on the scan to lift card, or that frequently at sunshine where the main scanning point is the gondola... and really it's hard to tell much more than gender / approx age with everyone wearing helmets and goggles these days!

Alternatively if the person were to take the card to a ticket machine and print off a day ticket, I'm reasonably sure that all they would need to verify is your birthday.

Last edited by Flames0910; 04-21-2021 at 12:01 AM.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote