Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #1481
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Polaris air to air tanker replacement news:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1377636383481868291
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #1482
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Former F-18 / current T-38A pilot C.W. Lemoine with an excellent walkthrough of the Flight Safety Investigation Report regarding the incident that took the life of Captain Jennifer Casey last May.

Here are his concluding comments on the incident - a conclusion I would imagine no one here is likely to disagree with.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 04-08-2021 at 10:08 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 09:36 AM   #1483
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Former F-18 / current T-38A pilot C.W. Lemoine with an excellent walkthrough of the Flight Safety Investigation Report regarding the incident that took the life of Captain Jennifer Casey last May.

Here are his concluding comments on the incident - a conclusion I would imagine no one here is likely to disagree with.

I watched them flyover my house the day before this happened, on May 16th. My spirits really did feel lifted at the sight as we had faced the beginning of this exceptionally rough year.
I was crushed to hear of the crash the next day.

I unfortunately don't have time to listen to the entire video today and so only was able to snip parts. Was the biggest conclusion that poor upkeep of old planes, and forcing pilots to use older unsafe planes with non updated technology was the largest contributor to the accident? Would someone who can watch it all be able to provide a brief summary?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #1484
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Was the biggest conclusion that [snip] older unsafe planes with non updated technology was the largest contributor to the accident? Would someone who can watch it all be able to provide a brief summary?
Pretty much this. The last seven minutes or so might be worth watching if that's all the time you have as it's where he addresses that specifically.

He also stressed he didn't want to play Monday morning quarterback however noted that Zoom-Turn-Flameout Landing on Runway has failed before. Seemed fairly clear to me that the implication was during the pre-flight briefings on what to do in the event of engine failure, that it might warrant a bit more attention on looking at what is downrange in a hypothetical engine failure scenario. For example, banking slightly right (rather than sharply left) and aiming the fuselage at the Thompson river perhaps. (Nothing in this implies criticism of the pilot by me either, just providing a synopsis)

Last edited by RoadGame; 04-09-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: maintenance wasn't the issue, old airframes/seat design are
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #1485
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/7752832/m...als-shut-down/

I mean there is just so much to be ashamed about..........

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM   #1486
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its a disgrace, its disgusting and gross. I was literally contemplating packing up all of my stuff from my forces day, badges and everything, putting them in a box and sending them to the Defense Minister. But he wouldn't care. Its clear he doesn't care, its clear he's about protecting his a$$ just like he did during the Norman railroading.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #1487
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its a disgrace, its disgusting and gross. I was literally contemplating packing up all of my stuff from my forces day, badges and everything, putting them in a box and sending them to the Defense Minister. But he wouldn't care. Its clear he doesn't care, its clear he's about protecting his a$$ just like he did during the Norman railroading.
Yeah I re-connected with a female soldier I worked with when I was in. This girl was hard, like hard as ####. Pulled her weight, never asked for any special treatment or dispensation she just soldiered on.

Some of the stories she told me were absolutely horrible. While I hadn't contributed to any of what I call her miss-treatment, is pained me to think that she was that competent a soldier in the face of the treatment she was telling.

It really pains me to see what has happened to the military.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #1488
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Some of the female Soldiers that I worked with, and some that I trained were tough, and wanted to be treated exactly the same, and I had a lot of respect for them. They didn't want favors or special treatment. So yeah, I get really upset at this story, and the fact that Saijan and Justin seem to be more concerned with protecting their asses and hiding the truth then fixing this situation.

The Armed Forces to me, and it kind of crushes me has taken on a really ratty look to it. Before I was concerned with rust out, future plans, fighter jet replacements etc. Now I look with a lot of disgust at the senior leadership, and the office of the Minister of Defense.

Its heartbreaking.

Old 04-12-2021, 02:52 PM   #1489
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some of the female Soldiers that I worked with, and some that I trained were tough, and wanted to be treated exactly the same, and I had a lot of respect for them. They didn't want favors or special treatment. So yeah, I get really upset at this story, and the fact that Saijan and Justin seem to be more concerned with protecting their asses and hiding the truth then fixing this situation.

The Armed Forces to me, and it kind of crushes me has taken on a really ratty look to it. Before I was concerned with rust out, future plans, fighter jet replacements etc. Now I look with a lot of disgust at the senior leadership, and the office of the Minister of Defense.

Its heartbreaking.
I didn't think it could sink much below where it was late 90's..........yet here we are.

Quote:
Old 04-12-2021, 02:58 PM   #1490
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

What makes it worse is that they basically cut a deal with the Seperatists in this case. That to me makes it 10x grosser.

Old 04-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #1491
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as I bemoan the idea of giving any actual credence to an alberta separatist movement, the block has shown time and time again to be an extremely effective tool in leveraging power for Quebec at the federal level. The fact that our defacto provincial rights vote goes to the party who either pleases us and forms opposition (so can't make deals) or forgets about us to win more votes in Ontario and Quebec and actually have a shot at making government just leaves us in this awful situation of never really having focus for power.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 03:58 PM   #1492
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Now the conspiracy wheels turn in my head. the same day that the Feds make a deal with the Bloc to shut down this committee they announce a multibillion dollar aid package for Air Canada. Not travel in general, you know for WestJet and other travel businesses that are struggling. But Air Canada which is based in Montreal.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381707387296489474

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2021, 08:36 PM   #1493
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/7752832/m...als-shut-down/

I mean there is just so much to be ashamed about..........
So incredibly disgusting and dissapointing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:12 AM   #1494
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now the conspiracy wheels turn in my head. the same day that the Feds make a deal with the Bloc to shut down this committee they announce a multibillion dollar aid package for Air Canada. Not travel in general, you know for WestJet and other travel businesses that are struggling. But Air Canada which is based in Montreal.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381707387296489474
News this morning talking about the Feds still being in discussions with WestJet.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #1495
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
So incredibly disgusting and dissapointing
But new combats.........so yay?

Quote:
Old 04-13-2021, 09:59 AM   #1496
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
But new combats.........so yay?
Don't forget backpay!

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #1497
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 11:30 AM   #1498
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay

Some positive military news.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadi...onth-1.5383073

There is still a part of the military that is good at what they do, killing people.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:15 AM   #1499
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Really hard to read, and makes me even angrier about the government's efforts to cover up for Vance and Saijan and the PMO office.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mil...ium%3Dsharebar

Quote:
A House of Commons committee heard startling testimony about rape and retribution from different witnesses today as it continued its examination of sexual misconduct in the military.
The status of women committee heard both from complainants and from former senior military officer Bernie Boland — who alleges he stood up against the harassment of a female colleague and faced a deliberate, Department of National Defence-backed smear campaign as a result.
Aviator Emily Tulloch, an air force technician, told MPs her military career has been one horrifying event after another.
"I joined the Canadian Armed Forces in July 2018, and since then, I feel like I have experienced a lifetime worth of sexual assault and misconduct," she said.

Quote:
Tulloch said her encounters with the military justice system have been "quite negative."
She said she was interviewed three times by military police after reporting misconduct. Two of those interviews, she said, were "dreadful" experiences.
"It felt more like an interrogation," she said.
"During these interviews I felt investigators were not treating me like a human being, but as just another case file to them. There was no empathy and humanity, and it was so frustrating that during the second interview I left early because I felt like I wasn't being heard, and that I was being treated like a criminal."

Old 04-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #1500
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

CaptainCrunch, thanks for posting that Bonnie and Banshee vid. I've binge-watched most of that guys channel now. Really good stuff
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post: