Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-12-2021, 04:18 PM   #161
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I believe you need to be "born into the title" so yeah, Camilla won't be Queen and Katie won't be Queen.
Kate will presumably be known as Queen Catherine when William takes the throne. She'll officially be the Queen consort, but she should still be called Queen, as previous Queens consort have been.

The current Queen's mother was known as Queen Elizabeth until the Queen was crowned. Then, she adopted the title of Queen Mother to avoid confusion. Previous Queen consorts who survived their husbands just continued to be called Queen.

It is believed that one of the conditions for the Queen's approval of Charles and Camilla's marriage was that Camilla will not take the title of Queen. She instead is expected to adopt the title of Princess Consort, just as Philip and Albert (Victoria's husband) were Prince consorts.
Old 04-12-2021, 04:24 PM   #162
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
When Prince Charles becomes King, does Camilla get the title of Queen? Likewise does Kate Middleton become Queen?

Or are they doomed to the same fate as Phillip and remain princesses forever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
They get the title Queen Consort, at least by tradition.
Camilla will get the title "princess consort" when Charles become king; a compromise that has never been made before, because of her unpopularity. Normally a king's wife automatically becomes queen (consort) upon her husband's accession.

Kate automatically becomes queen when William becomes king.

(Again, "queen consort" instead of "queen regnant", meaning she's just the king's wife instead of actually wielding any power of her own. By contrast Elizabeth is queen regnant: she's the grand poobah who actually rules. Philip was just "prince consort" because there had never been a "king consort"; "king" is the highest title in the land.)
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:30 AM   #163
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't pretend to follow the royals and know their business, but that seems unfair to Camilla?

Is it just because she's the 2nd wife? Or because he was banging her while he was still married to Di?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 09:48 AM   #164
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't pretend to follow the royals and know their business, but that seems unfair to Camilla?

Is it just because she's the 2nd wife? Or because he was banging her while he was still married to Di?
A little bit of a sarcastic response, but the monarchy existing isn't really built upon the principals of "fair" among people.

Last edited by Mull; 04-13-2021 at 09:57 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 AM   #165
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My understanding is limited but yeah, pretty much. 'Out of respect for Diana' or something is what they say
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 AM   #166
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I read up a little bit on it, and it isn't completely unprecedented for divorcees and 2nd wives to not get the higher title. It does seem kind of dumb. I read also that giving the ruling Queen's husband the title of Prince Consort over King Consort is more a tradition than a law, but the source wasn't an academic one, so I don't know if that is actually true.

I do find it ridiculous that the Queen had to give her blessing for the marriage of her adult son, but technically, the Queen is religious head of the state as well as the ruling monarch. Not having an Anglican marriage is a big deal for a monarch apparently.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-13-2021 at 10:56 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #167
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Stick it in
Rip the skin
Carve and twist
Torn flesh
From behind
I cut her crotch
In her ass I stuck my ####
Killing as I cum

Good old metal, always appropriate
If you don't blast this for your kids you are obviously a racist
Old 04-13-2021, 12:44 PM   #168
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I read up a little bit on it, and it isn't completely unprecedented for divorcees and 2nd wives to not get the higher title. It does seem kind of dumb.
A divorced king is pretty much unprecedented. (Henry VIII's many failed marriages were annulments, or he had them executed. ) Charles was the first heir apparent to get a divorce.

Quote:
I read also that giving the ruling Queen's husband the title of Prince Consort over King Consort is more a tradition than a law, but the source wasn't an academic one, so I don't know if that is actually true.
Of course, it's all "tradition". "Tradition" is about 95% of what the monarchy is! :P

As such, there's never been a (widely acknowledged) "king consort" in the UK or England. All the previous queens regnant's husbands were not kings except William III, who co-ruled with his wife Mary II, and Mary I's husband Philip, who was separately King of Spain and Portugal. Anne's husband George and Victoria's husband Albert were both princes, never kings.

Quote:
I do find it ridiculous that the Queen had to give her blessing for the marriage of her adult son, but technically, the Queen is religious head of the state as well as the ruling monarch. Not having an Anglican marriage is a big deal for a monarch apparently.
Being that the monarch is also the head of the Anglican Church, it's a pretty big deal if their own marriage isn't actually kosher within the rules of the church. It was only about 20 years ago that the Church allowed divorced people to remarry while the former spouse was still alive.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #169
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's a legal requirement for the current monarch to approve of any marriage that would impact the line of succession.

The law has been on the books since before the American Revolution: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Marriages_Act_1772

Quote:
The Act said that no descendant of King George II, male or female, other than the issue of princesses who had married or might thereafter marry "into foreign families", could marry without the consent of the reigning monarch, "signified under the great seal and declared in council". That consent was to be set out in the licence and in the register of the marriage, and entered in the books of the Privy Council. Any marriage contracted without the consent of the monarch was to be null and void.

This act was replaced in 2013 and the current law now only impacts the marriages of anyone who is 6th in the line to the throne or better at the time of the marriage. Prior to that, the Queen had to approve every marriage for anyone who was in the line of succession.

So far, Harry's marriage is the only one to have been approved under the new law.

The new act also got rid of the rule that required younger male heirs to supercede any older sisters in the order of succession, and marrying a Catholic is no longer disqualifying either.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:18 PM   #170
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
My understanding is limited but yeah, pretty much. 'Out of respect for Diana' or something is what they say
It makes sense that Camilla doesn't use the "Princess of Wales" title since it's so associated with Diana, but not with the "Queen" title. When/if Charles becomes king, he probably can change the agreement as he sees fit.

Quote:
Up to 2015, the British sovereign had to agree to any marriage for the entire extended royal family. Now it's just the first six in line to the throne. Most of the ruling house of Europe had similar laws, to ensure that family members married spouses of the right religion and status.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succes...t_to_marriages
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:33 PM   #171
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
It makes sense that Camilla doesn't use the "Princess of Wales" title since it's so associated with Diana, but not with the "Queen" title. When/if Charles becomes king, he probably can change the agreement as he sees fit.
Probably, but optics would be bad since this was what was announced when they were married
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:07 PM   #172
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
A divorced king is pretty much unprecedented. (Henry VIII's many failed marriages were annulments, or he had them executed. ) Charles was the first heir apparent to get a divorce.

Of course, it's all "tradition". "Tradition" is about 95% of what the monarchy is! :P

As such, there's never been a (widely acknowledged) "king consort" in the UK or England. All the previous queens regnant's husbands were not kings except William III, who co-ruled with his wife Mary II, and Mary I's husband Philip, who was separately King of Spain and Portugal. Anne's husband George and Victoria's husband Albert were both princes, never kings.

Being that the monarch is also the head of the Anglican Church, it's a pretty big deal if their own marriage isn't actually kosher within the rules of the church. It was only about 20 years ago that the Church allowed divorced people to remarry while the former spouse was still alive.
Did he divorce Diana before she died suddenly? I thought her death ended the marriage.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #173
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Their divorce was finalized about a year before she died.
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 06:26 PM   #174
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prince Philip? I met him. Rest In Peace.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote