Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 12:43 AM   #41
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
There is a total of 14,217 active members of this forum, and only 1,629 who have contributed more than 500 posts. I am sure the Flames pay attention to what is happening here, but am much less convinced that it has any effect on hockey decisions. This is a good place for generating social media talking-points, but that's about it.

The Flames listen much more intently to their season ticket-holders than anything opined on CP.
Maybe when I renew my season tix I will pay the renewal fees into trust with the Flames lawyers and add a few conditions to use of the funds.

Hell we should get a thousand of us to do the same thing then they’d really have to listen!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #42
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Maybe when I renew my season tix I will pay the renewal fees into trust with the Flames lawyers and add a few conditions to use of the funds.

Hell we should get a thousand of us to do the same thing then they’d really have to listen!

The funds would be returned, and your season tickets would be cancelled for failure to pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:52 AM   #43
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

They most likely use an enterprise social listening tool, so they don't even have to visit the site. They just set up the queries they want to track on the URLs they care about, and then most mentions would show up in their dashboards as aggregated data, unless they have alerts about specific conversations or topics they want to actually read.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:13 AM   #44
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
They should broadcast some of those instead of some the inane commercials we get over and over and over.
Have something against beef Jerky? Lol
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:28 AM   #45
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Flames lost both Games 2 and 4 in OT with great chanes in both. If the Flames win Game 2 the Avs aren't feeling so good in Game 3. Playoffs series are won and lost on slim margins.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #46
BMStrikesAgain
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
The Flames lost both Games 2 and 4 in OT with great chanes in both. If the Flames win Game 2 the Avs aren't feeling so good in Game 3. Playoffs series are won and lost on slim margins.
and typically the flames end up on the losing end
BMStrikesAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:27 AM   #47
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
They most likely use an enterprise social listening tool, so they don't even have to visit the site. They just set up the queries they want to track on the URLs they care about, and then most mentions would show up in their dashboards as aggregated data, unless they have alerts about specific conversations or topics they want to actually read.
That bot must of overheated with "Fire Ward" queries continually popping up.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:58 AM   #48
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Suck hard for Bedard
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 07:42 AM   #49
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Sam was traded shortly after this thread was posted.

Do people still believe that CP really had any influence at all to make the Flames post the videos noted in the first post?

Or perhaps, it was a promotion blitz to support buzz around the player to create trade prospects?

Or perhaps he was simply next on their list of players to make a promotional video about.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #50
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
Lol.

The level of self-importance in here is phenomenal.
Wait until you get a load of the Off Topic Forum. You aint seen nothin yet!
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 08:46 AM   #51
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames, please hire Yanet Garcia for game highlights. Win or lose I’m watching repeatedly.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #52
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
So Sam was traded shortly after this thread was posted.

Do people still believe that CP really had any influence at all to make the Flames post the videos noted in the first post?

Or perhaps, it was a promotion blitz to support buzz around the player to create trade prospects?

Or perhaps he was simply next on their list of players to make a promotional video about.
I want to pose this question in reverse:

Do you think the flames media team doesn't read these threads or use social listening tools to derive data specifically from this website to help inform and drive content decisions?

I think they would be kind of daft not to. This is where you will find the most interested flames fans.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:55 AM   #53
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I want to pose this question in reverse:

Do you think the flames media team doesn't read these threads or use social listening tools to derive data specifically from this website to help inform and drive content decisions?

I think they would be kind of daft not to. This is where you will find the most interested flames fans.
I think they use a web crawler but not the the point people here think. For example, from your first post, I don't think the following is true at all:

Quote:
Now a monahan video about needing to prove offense on a separate line from Johnny. They're replying in real time now lol..
However, if we have moved on from the idea that the Flames are activity reading CP looking for what fans think and creating videos to respond specifically because they value this community, to the flames have simply grouped CP threads into an aggerate services that values them the same as Reddit, HF Boards, I would say sure, they may make content that the results of the aggregate data provides from all sources.

It feels to me the goal posts of the intent of this thread have vastly shifted, as detailed in my last paragraph, but your OP, only you knew what you truly meant when you made your first post. I know based on others who have responded, that they feel CP is worth more to the flames than an aggregate data source.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #54
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
I think they use a web crawler but not the the point people here think. For example, from your first post, I don't think the following is true at all:

However, if we have moved on from the idea that the Flames are activity reading CP looking for what fans think and creating videos to respond specifically because they value this community, to the flames have simply grouped CP threads into an aggerate services that values them the same as Reddit, HF Boards, I would say sure, they may make content that the results of the aggregate data provides from all sources.

It feels to me the goal posts of the intent of this thread have vastly shifted, as detailed in my last paragraph, but your OP, only you knew what you truly meant when you made your first post. I know based on others who have responded, that they feel CP is worth more to the flames than an aggregate data source.
I think it's equally silly to believe that the people who work for the team wouldn't occasionally read through a thread or two about the team they work for and the people most passionate about said team. But yeah, I only meant to point out the funny timing between expansive discussions on exact topics that they decided to cover off the very next day in rapid succession.

I would wager there are multiple people who work for the org that have accounts here.

Edit: It is the same for the players- they are not posting here or constantly creeping threads like me (Lol) but if I were in their position there's very little chance I could resist the occasional peek at what people are saying about me...

Last edited by Monahammer; 04-13-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #55
ThisIsAnOutrage
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

OP is right. Not just the Flames (CSE) media figures either.

Last year there was an article on the Athletic talking about the Oilers that referenced something like "a group of fans who found a lot of schedenfreude from the struggles of the Oilers..." Had to be a reference to the E=NG Chiadenfreude thread.
ThisIsAnOutrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:07 AM   #56
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Direct example from lived experience:

I used to work for a municipality. The Municipality had a particularly crotchety set of residents who ran a blog that was entirely devoted to picking apart and criticizing the most minute decisions councillors and city staff made- it was obtuse and obviously full of very ignorant people who weren't even properly forming their points.
And yet, everyone from the city looked at it from time to time. I usually looked to laugh, but I did look at it. City workers probably formed a good portion of the traffic to the website lol. Tkachukwagon probably knows what I am talking about.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #57
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
Suck hard for Bedard
But before that, we've got to play like ####e for Wright.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote